PDA

View Full Version : is it too early..........

is it too early..........

snakeboy24
07-04-2007, 02:58 PM
my bairdi x corn wont eat. he hasn't eaten for going on 3 months and he is starting to really worry me. i have tried changing suppliers, different rodents, slitting open (worked once but not since) and every other method apart from scenting with anole and force feeding. i am going to pick a snake up on Saturday and i am going to get a few anoles for scenting but if that doesn't work do you think it is too early to start force feeding. he was doing great the first 6 months and he was eating like a champ but for the last 3 months he has eaten once and that was a small mouse. he is 9 years old and 5'3. he is currently in blue and refused his last meal on Saturday night (was not in blue then). i am going to wait until he sheds and then try him with a scented mouse. if he doesn't eat that (not likely to eat it) do you think it is too early to start force feeding? he is starting to loose condition and really doesn't seem like the same snake. everything is normal temps and humidity is fine. all the husbandry stuff is correct.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

lee :cheers:

Roy Munson
07-04-2007, 03:04 PM
If I were you, I'd attempt a normal feeding right after he sheds in a few days. If he was engaged in normal breeding season fasting, then this could be the shed that "resets" his brain out of breeding mode and back to feeding mode. If he doesn't eat at his next feeding, bump this thread with an update.

snakeboy24
07-04-2007, 03:10 PM
thanks. he hasnt been used for breeding but i think he thought he was going to breed. i will try normal feed after shed. thanks for help!!!

Roy Munson
07-04-2007, 03:57 PM
thanks. he hasnt been used for breeding but i think he thought he was going to breed. i will try normal feed after shed. thanks for help!!!

You're welcome. Sometimes seasonal light changes are enought to trigger a male into love-mode. Good luck. :)

bitsy
07-05-2007, 07:53 AM
he hasnt been used for breeding but i think he thought he was going to breed

I've known a number of males like that.

And not just the reptilian type! :cheers:

Nanci
07-05-2007, 07:58 AM
My tri-color hoggy has gone at least two months. Active as usual- it's just the spring love fast. Jake the Florida King tried it too, but he could only hold out for I think two missed feedings. Now Maizey just refused a meal- last year he started his fast in July or August- that was the first I'd heard of it, and it seemed so late in the year- but now this year looks like the same thing.

Good luck with feeding yours after he sheds.

Nanci

snakeboy24
07-11-2007, 12:59 PM
i think it is time to update thread.he has now shed his skin and i tried him with a mouse before and he wasnt interested atall. i left him with it for hours and he still didnt eat it. i was just wondering what the next step would be?

thanks again,

snakeboy24
07-11-2007, 03:24 PM
p.s this has now been 3 -4 months without him eating.

snakeboy24
07-13-2007, 03:02 PM
any suggestions anybody?
i am really starting to worry about him and i do not know how much longer he can go, he looks about 3/4 the size he used to be.

any suggestions appreciated as i am at the point of despiration now

thanks for the help,