• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Picking Snakes Up

Canadain Eh?

:confused: What is the easiest way to pick a snake up? Mine is always ready to bite. Also what's up with the different types of corns I only know two.:confused:

Just grab it. That's the easiest way. lol. If its tiny still you can place your hand over top of it, this sometimes helps.

And by different kinds do you mean different colors? There are MANY. Anerys, Amels, Snows, Normal, Caramel, Butter, Amber, Crimson, Charcoal, Blizzard, Stripes, Blood Red and all Blood Red versions, hypo, motley, etc etc etc! :)

If you look around the net and search you should be able to find a photo of every corn morph.

bmm

I was told the best way to pick your snake up is to pick it up like it was rubber but not to quickly (unless it likes to run away) and try to pick it up from the side (don't move your hand straight down or it might think you are a bird).

Steer away from the head, as the snake may think that you are a predator. Mine are usually all balled up so I just pick them up wherever I think is the middle of them. Some people pick their snakes up by the tail end, I don't think that's a problem other than you really want to support them, I wouldn't like to be picked up by my toes... Be slow, firm and confident. Don't be afraid of them, and for heavens sake hold them well, you don't want to drop them. And naturally hold them with love and tenderness. I like to talk to mine while I pick them up in a comforting voice (I know they are deaf, but still, I like to think they can hear me maybe psychicly).

whatever you do don't be afraid of getting bitten when you are going to pick them up, they know when you are afraid. If they do try to take a nip at you, more the reason to finish picking them up. you have already disturbed them, and if they show a sign of aggression toward you and you don't follow through with it, they feel that they succeeded in driving a bad guy away and will continue to be aggressive. But you have to show them that you are a good guy and that u won't hurt them, then they won't show that aggression towards you, unless you do something out of the ordinary to piss them off. The nice thing about babies is that when they bite, they can't even break the skin. jsut a little pinch.

almost everyone at first is scared of getting bitten, then it happens and you laugh at yourself for being scared.

always remember to support the whole snakes body. since i dont think you would like to just get picked up by you leg or some thing.

You said your corn was poised and ready to bite, well i would recomend that you just put your hand in and pick them up around the midlle, if you are still nervous then drop a small piece of cloth on there heads this removes the feeding response EG when you go over and open the cage they may think they are getting fed the piece of cloth removes the feeding response

I like the cloth idea, that's cool, you could also try sqwirting them with water this may stun or shock them a little so that their mind is off of biting enough for you to pick them up. At least it works with my cat when she is in a bad mood.

good luck, and don't be afraid of getting bit, it happens to everyone and it really doesn't hurt that bad or leave scars:)

Back