PDA

View Full Version : Hamster pups for food?

Hamster pups for food?

13mur 6
04-01-2003, 12:55 PM
The pet store I usually get my mice from neglected to get new mice for the last couple months. The freshest ones they have are from DECEMBER LAST YEAR!!! Well NEway, they had a tub full of freshly frozen hamster pups for one of the workers and I asked if I can take a couple and they hesitantly allowed me to take two of them. Anyone have experiences feeding hamsters to corns? Are they preferred over mice? The same? Anyone's snakes not like hamsters? Is hamster addiction possible?

-13mur 6

drizzt_19
04-01-2003, 02:47 PM
I've fed hamster pups to my corns when I could not get any mice or rat pinks..I've never had a snake refuse this yet..

Hamster addiction is possible..It's kinda like a corn only wanting lizards..

I don't know if hamsters taste better then mice cause I have not tried them out yet, but my corns don't seem to really care if it is a hamster of a mouse pup..

I don't know about feeding adult hamsters to corns because hamster are mostly fur..Alot of fur could possibly lead to an impaction..Hamster pups are hairless though so if that's what you can get, I'd say use it..Just don't feed them all the time or it may lead to an addiction..A really expensive addiction..

Just my 0.02

13mur 6
04-02-2003, 12:22 AM
Well... she didn't like em... she looked a lil interested, bit the head and dragged it a lil ways, and then just let go and hid... I'm sad... :(

-13mur 6

kenster
04-02-2003, 01:37 AM
Hi, i wrote you a PM but if you are still in MI, I am in Flint, and I would be willing to give you a few frozen ones to get you through...just let me know...

Ken

13mur 6
04-02-2003, 02:57 PM
Ack, all the way out in Flint? I'm in Ann Arbor with no car :( . But thanks anyway for offering, I wouldn't want to make you drive all the way down here just so you can give me some mice.

-13mur 6

Darin Chappell
04-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Nasty, but sometimes necessary . . .

You might brain those hamster pups to get her to take them. I have fed them to my snakes occassionally, but I too was worried about one of them really liking them too much! Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't help much.

:rolleyes:

13mur 6
04-02-2003, 03:55 PM
Actually, I JUST got her to eat the pup. It was a really fresh pup (born monday night, killed and frozen immediately), so the one she didn't eat yesterday I put in the refrigerator to "age" a little and tried again today with a piece of lizard tail sticking out of the hamster's mouth. She ate it butt first so I don't think it was the lizard, but I'm thinking some snakes like slighty old mice/hamsters/food. I think Kathy Love said something about them being slightly more easy to digest in the Cornsnake Manual.

Oh, as a side question, are hamster pups more fatty than pinkies? I wanna give my snake some more fattening foods because she's all skin and bones, and rat pups are too big... Are there any "fat supplements"? Mebbe I'll start injecting egg yolk into my pinkies...

-13mur 6