PDA

View Full Version : first time refusing food

first time refusing food

Kimber
04-02-2003, 01:46 AM
Hi all,

My baby great plains rat snakes have always eaten no problem until last night. They were uninterested so I "brained" the pinkies (think I will be having nightmares about that!)
The female ate after leaving her a while but the male never did.

I can guess as to some possible reasons why
- frozen pinky too old (how long can they be kept frozen?)
- new snake in the house in other cage (can they smell her?)
- change in temperature, just started heating the cage (I will start another post about temperatures)

Just wanted to know if some of my reasons might be valid? I get the feeling this is a common problem with keeping snakes?

Will try again tonight with the male.

Thanks!

fateamber
04-02-2003, 12:09 PM
Or the male could be shedding.

Darin Chappell
04-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Kimber,

How big are your snakes? What do they look like in regards to being near a shed cycle? What about those temps? Any and all of this information (possibly more, if you think of anything else) will be helpful in us helping you.

Let us know . . .
:cool:

Kimber
04-03-2003, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.

I didn't think of shedding because he hasn't been blue recently.
But I have been expecting a shed since the last one was about 3 weeks ago and I heard they shed often at this age.

As for size, he is about 3 months old and about as thick as my index finger, maybe a little thicker. Length? Dunno, maybe 30 cm or so?

As for the temps, I definitely need some opinions on that. I started another thread: "Keeping correct temperatures".

I tried with him again last night and again he refused the brained thawed medium-large-sized pinkie. I just got some live newborn pinkies for my other snake so tried him with one those. At first not interested but I covered the cage and left him and then he ate it (or he hid it someplace! :-) which did cross my mind!)! Tried another one but not interested.

So not a huge worry because at least he ate something but he is definitely acting strangely. Maybe you are right about the shed as he is not interested in being held at all either.

thanks for all the help.
Kimber

Kimber
04-10-2003, 03:00 AM
Hi again,

With all the posts about snakes not eating I see it is a common problem so I will not worry yet.

After how long should one start to worry?

They are male and female great plains rat snakes a few months old.

thanks for any help!
Kimber

Toeboe
04-11-2003, 06:18 PM
Hi Kimber,,,,if it eases your mind, I have a 5ft corn that stopped feeding in early december, had 2 pinkies in mid march, then refused again until a full size mouse tonight. I find him not to be as sensitive to temp as some would have you believe. Relax and providing you are doing nothing drastically wrong, it will eat when it ready.

Darin Chappell
04-12-2003, 12:51 AM
Well,

There is a significant difference between a large adult not eating for an extended period and a juvenile not eating. It is a problem, Kimber. Have you tried all of the little tricks to get them to eat? Braining, scenting, alive, dead, etc???

Kimber
04-13-2003, 09:27 AM
It's been a week and a half for the male (and I think he has lost some weight). Now the other 2 have slowed down with their eating too.

I'm sure I've got the temperature right now as I've got 2 heating pads attached to a thermostat. Warm part of cage at 29 degrees or so on the floor and the cold part is usually around 24 degrees but lower overnight.

I've tried pinkies alive, frozen/thawed, small and bigger. I tried braining them (knife through the scull was my method). What do you mean by scenting?

Should I maybe leave them with the food in there overnight so they can do it on their own time?

Other than the not eating they seem just fine!

thanks very much!
Kimber

Kimber
04-22-2003, 03:36 AM
It's been 3 weeks now since he's eaten.
Any suggestions?

thanks,
Kimber

CAV
04-22-2003, 10:18 AM
I have a male that is starting week number five of a "hunger strike". He is young, but is breedable and it appears to be showing all of the "rites of spring". Does your snake appear to be health? Keeping on weight?

Continue to offer food and see if he will eat. Just be careful not to offer it everyday, since it can confuse the prey/predator relationship.

Kimber
04-23-2003, 03:39 AM
He is still very young - approx 4 months old - still very small.
He seems very healthy but he is definitely losing weight.
Very active as well.

CowBoyWay
04-23-2003, 10:56 AM
For past posts on the subject.
A search for "scenting" gave me these...amongst others.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=614&highlight=scenting
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2839&highlight=scenting
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3311&highlight=scenting

Keyword searches can give one immediate answers to likely, already asked questions, when they need them. :)

Hope it works out for you, and your Rat Snake decides its time to eat pretty soon.
Hopefully, you'll find the right "trick" that'll work for you. Good Luck. :)

As for the temps, I definitely need some opinions on that. I started another thread: "Keeping correct temperatures".
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5381&highlight=temperatures+temps

Did you resolve your Temperature problems and figure out how not to make "baked Snake". Your problems could be environmentally influenced.