PDA

View Full Version : Getting new hatchlings to feed

Getting new hatchlings to feed

Will
07-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Hi this my first time breeding and have been lucky to get 6 new snakes. Now, I have no problem feeding my adult corns but is there any ways i can encourage the new ones to feed on their first time? Thanks Will

tbtusk
07-22-2007, 02:16 PM
When did they hatch, and have you tried feeding them yet?

I'm assuming you have not tried feeding so I'll start there. Sorry if I'm saying things you already know, but it's better to mention it than not.

Just after their first shed, which is about a week after hatching, offer one f/t pinky to each snake in their individual containers. Don't bother moving the snakes to a separate container, unless your using aspen as a substrate this early on, in which case it would be a good idea to feed them in a separate feeding container.

Make sure the pinky is properly thawed and very warm. I slit the pinky multiple times as well, as it will help in digestion and has been shown to increase the growth rate, but that's not necessary. Leave the pinky in all night and hopefully everyone will eat.

If not, don't worry, it's common to have a snake or 2 refuse their first meal. wait 3 days before trying again. From there there are a lot of things you can do to encourage eating. Tease feeding, braining, and moving the snake to a smaller container all can work well. if nothing works you may have to sent the mouse or offer f/k or live. There are other ways of encouraging feeding in hatchlings, but that should get you started, and hopefully get all the hatchlings started too!

God luck! :)