PDA

View Full Version : Too much food?

Too much food?

LeeC
07-23-2007, 05:34 AM
Hi all, I have a amel corn that me and my gf got about 2 months ago, shes about 1 & 1/2 feet long and im guessing around 35-45grams now (havent weighed her in a couple weeks). The thing is we feed her 1 small-med f/t fuzzie every 2-3 days(after she poops the last meal out), except durning shedding. Usually no food for 3-6 days while shedding. The thing is I see people saying that 1 fuzzie a week or so is good.

Are we overfeeding her?
Shes never regurgitated and only refused meals like 3 times, but ate them the next day. Shes very friendly (gives us kisses, literally), and seems healthy/happy. Are we doing something or am I just paraniod?

Cat_Eyed_Lady
07-23-2007, 06:19 AM
usually the suggested feeding times are every 5 days for smaller snakes and then every 7-10 days for older larger snakes..... not sure thats much help to you?

Flagg
07-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Every 2-3 days is a bit more frequent than most recommend. The consensus here seems to be every 4-5 days when on pinkies or small fuzzies.

At 2-3 days it doesn't seem like your snake would have enough time to digest the previous meal before eating again. Are your temps at substrate level (or under if she burrows) high?

Nanci
07-23-2007, 08:23 AM
You are feeding her too frequently. She should be fed every five days. Then you should not handle her for at least 48 hours after she eats.

Nanci

LeeC
07-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Every 2-3 days is a bit more frequent than most recommend. The consensus here seems to be every 4-5 days when on pinkies or small fuzzies.

At 2-3 days it doesn't seem like your snake would have enough time to digest the previous meal before eating again. Are your temps at substrate level (or under if she burrows) high?

Her cage temps range from 70ish at night to 85ish during the day. We always wait till she has had a full BM, then we wait a few more hours before feeding her. And only after she has fully digested her meal is when we handle her.
I guess we'll try feeding her every 5 days now and see if she likes that lol.
Do you guys think it could upset her changing the feeding cycle?

miara20
07-24-2007, 06:48 PM
no I dont think you'll upset her by changing her feedin habit. Its only a couple of days that she will have to wait to eat. I change sasha's feeding habit all the time and she does seem to mind. When she was little I feed her 4 pinkies a week then went to feeding her two fuzzies a week then went to feeding her an adult mouse a week now she eats two adult mice at a time every 10 to 12 days. and sometimes longer but she also has a habit of refusing food just so she can be nosey and get into stuff and then will want it later. She's weird. But every snake is different but i seriously dont think it will upset her by making her wait a few extra days to eat.