PDA

View Full Version : Looking very wrong :( help please

Looking very wrong :( help please

Phoeb
07-30-2007, 02:41 PM
I got Red out today but he seemed pretty slow and over relaxed, I put him in his feeding container while I put the decor back in the viv and noticed he wasn't flicking is tongue much and when he did it looked like he was struggling, he would move his head back when his tongue flicked. His mouth would open like hes trying to regurge or gasping for air ... it is pretty sad to watch :/

Tempatures ranges from 74 - 81 and humidity ranges from 40 - 55.
My guess is that when I fed him on Saturday he swallowed the mouse arse first and maybe the mouses claws could have scratched his throat??

I made a short video so you can see what I mean and any help will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qdwD7jYQZw

Nanci
07-30-2007, 02:47 PM
I've never seen a snake regurge, but that's sure what it looks like he's trying to do. Other than that gagging thing, he looks normal. I wonder what others will say. Eating the mouse tail first doesn't hurt anything.

Nanci

susang
07-30-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure, but it looked to me like a yawn. I've seen mine yawn a few times. After the yawn ??? agree it did look a little wierd what he did with his mouth. Also agree with Nanci butt munching not a problem mine do it a lot. If he were mine I would observe for a few days, watch for poo. If that is his feeding tub it may be a bit big, snakes like to feel secure covered, it is an instinct to be still i he felt there was danger, kind of like if I don't move you can't see me.

tom e
07-30-2007, 02:59 PM
If he just ate saturday, he's probably just not ready to be handled yet. That might indeed cause a regurge.. Had he "gone to the bathroom" since his feeding?
Also you might raise the heat a little on the warm side to help him digest.
Do you notice any mucous around the nostrils? I don't know much about RI's but the way he's lifting his head looks like he could be having trouble breathing.. That would need a vet if that's the case.
Not trying to scare you, because really I don't know what's going on, just ideas..

Phoeb
07-30-2007, 03:26 PM
He "went to the bathroom" about 2 hours before I fed him so im expecting him to go either tomorrow or the next day. Ive fed him in the tub for about 5 months and never seen him do this before, and I havent noticed any mucous. He was very active last week aswell.

snakewispera snr
07-30-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm a bit confused, how often are you feeding this snake? How long do you leave it before handleing?

jub_jub_bird
07-30-2007, 03:50 PM
hmmm, very odd. theres no chance he has swallowed a beech chipping or a bit of substrate is there? He does seem like he's trying to spew something up...

Kat

TWGarland
07-30-2007, 03:52 PM
i can see why your worried, there is definately somthing weird about the tongue flicking, you can see the mouth open strangely, just as the tongue retracts... although the quick head movements may be explained by the snake 'feeding response'. mine always go twitchy when they smell mouse.

What size mice are you feeding? was it a particularly big mouse?
I think it entirely possible that it may have caused a scrape of somekind inside the food pipe. Although i wouldnt worry too much yet, he looks in good health. I know its considered uncommon but ive seen a thread on her before ( alot harsher case maybe) that had a corn with a mouse foot peaking through its skin and scales. I'd have to say I agree with your theory Pheob. It looks to me like it could be irritation. It may explain those symptoms :shrugs: Scrapes could lead to mouth rot, can you see into the mouth at all? just adding my wee opinion, im sure someone more in the know will come help soon.
Best of luck ;)
Tom

Phoeb
07-30-2007, 04:54 PM
I doubt it he swallowed any substrate because I feed him outside the viv. As I've had him for about 6 months and never seen anything like this, my guess is a claw may have scratched his throat when he went butt-munchin last feed.

The last time I fed him was early morning on the 28th, the mouse wasnt at all to big, just went down the wrong way. I feed him once a week and usually wait about 2-3 days when handlng, I took his water bowl out to clean/change the water and took him out while he was lying over his log.

snakewispera snr
07-30-2007, 05:12 PM
I've watched your vid and it made me wonder about shedding. When did your snake last go into blue?

I've noticed my snakes do that prior to shedding, they sort of stretch their mouths to start it off.

Nanci
07-30-2007, 05:25 PM
At first it sort of reminded me of yawning to put the jaw back, too, but it was fed too long ago to still be doing that. I didn't see any difficulty breathing or open mouth breathing. I too would raise the warm side about 4F. If this was my snake, and this hadn't resolved by tomorrow, I would take it to the vet.

Nanci

Phoeb
07-30-2007, 05:29 PM
He shed on the 14th of this month. I'll find out where my nearest herp vet is, thx all for your help.

Susan
07-30-2007, 05:42 PM
That one big one in the middle of the video is definitely a yawn, but the other ones are a bit odd. And the slightly raised head while resting might also be a sign that something is wrong. Your temps seem a little on the low side....fine for the cool side of the viv, but I would raise the warm side at least 4 degrees F, if not 5 or 6, just in case your snake is just starting a respiratory infection. The warmer temps might be enough to take care of the problem, and at the very least, will help your snake digest it's food. I personally don't think it has anything to do with a scratch from a mouse claw. Keep us posted!

Phoeb
07-31-2007, 10:37 AM
He seems to be acting very normal today, tongue flicking fast and no weird gagging expressions.

Thanks for your help.

desertanimal
07-31-2007, 11:12 AM
Good. Maybe he just got something in his mouth in his viv and it was bugging him.