PDA

View Full Version : help, sneezing, hanging out tongue yawning like crazy

help, sneezing, hanging out tongue yawning like crazy

reinholds
07-31-2007, 05:25 PM
My corn snake was climbing on my hands then I lifted her near water bowl so she could drink some water but she didn't want to. Then She started to yawn and sneeze and manipulate her tongue. I put her down immediately. She did this yawning stuff for like 1 minute. I was scared to death. I've seen that she sneeze for few times after drinking(especially when she drunk with whole head under water) also I've seen her yawning and sometimes her tongue bit gum together also after drinking but usually it lasts just few seconds. This time it was almost minute and she even didn't drink before! Please help what it could be?

reinholds
07-31-2007, 05:33 PM
Is it possible that her tongue got stuck?

Nanci
07-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Has she stopped oding it now??

Nanci

reinholds
07-31-2007, 05:38 PM
well she slept for 5 minutes yawn for few times then drunk some water sneezed(in usual manner) and right now she is flicker her tongue again but not as much as usualy yet.

Phoeb
07-31-2007, 06:26 PM
I think I had the same problem a couple of threads down. I raised the temps a little and put him back in the viv and left him for 24 hours.

He seems perfectly fine now.

Hope your corn is feeling better soon.

reinholds
08-02-2007, 07:39 AM
She still open mouth like 10 times in day. Maybe some where in mouth is jamed some piece of corn granule. Maybe I should try to feed her. Is it possible that this little granule is jam in place where her tongue is in. ( sorry that I don't know how does it call ). But now she is very calm. I can see that one side of her jaw is not exactly in right place. So if I would feed her and if problems is with her jaw: it should help right?

Tracee
08-03-2007, 05:47 AM
In that case I hope it's something as simple as she is just trying to re-set her jaw - they do yawn to do that.. Although it does sound a bit excessive to be just that. Keep us posted.

reinholds
08-03-2007, 06:01 AM
Hi all!
She didn't eat anything but I think that the main reason is that she already got 5 mouses in last week and she don't eat so often. So I can see that one side of jaw is nor in the best place. She sometimes open her mouse, but no more sneezing. She looks better be little bit evasive. So she drinks VERY much, but for now it's looks that she is doing better.

DogStar5988
08-03-2007, 06:12 AM
Five mice in one week?! Thats a lot, how big is she? Are we talking five pinkys or five adult mice? Hope she get better soon. ;)

---Kenny

reinholds
08-03-2007, 08:51 AM
She is 5 ft. (148cm) long and 2 years old. I give her 5 medium mouses and it's for 2 weeks. She is still growing :D

Topazfyre
08-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Is it just me, or is that pretty massive for a corn in general, let alone one that's only two years old?

cornmorphs
08-03-2007, 02:33 PM
well, someone needs to be blunt... carry on like that and your snake will die.. simple as that.
5 mice is far too much, even if you think she wants it, its too much.
once she stops growing in length, she will justget really fat.
i would advise one large mouse a week, maybe 2 every 10 days tops..
people have different ways and methods, but i think most will agree that this snake is over fed.

reinholds
08-03-2007, 06:03 PM
no no it just looks so. She is slim. It just looks so in that picture because he have just eaten mouses... Ok I'll try to feed her less. Thanks. She is now doing ok. Could it be that she got this problems because of to many mouses?

cornmorphs
08-03-2007, 06:07 PM
i doubt the amount of food would cause a potential cold.
i have had some with colds, i have one now still.. its not too hard to sort out, but if you have a big ish collection then it can be hard to fully get rid of it from all of them, it is taking time.

Roy Munson
08-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Maybe some where in mouth is jamed some piece of corn granule.The over-feeding isn't a good thing, but this is even worse. I hope you're not using corn-cob bedding for substrate. It's one of the worst choices for substrate out there. My first corn died of an impaction from the stuff. I don't care if you feed her elsewhere or not, I'd still get her off that stuff. Can't go wrong with aspen shavings.

reinholds
08-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Hi All!
I bought her new substrates. Is it ok with Exo-Terra Forest Bark (http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=1039) . I found it in local zoo shop. All other was made from pine, but this one from fir. There wasn't anything else. Can corn snake live in that substrate?
Thanks
Reinholds

Topazfyre
08-04-2007, 04:39 PM
No- fir and pine, along with other stong smelling woods- can kill a corn. Aspen is the best choice, or Repti-Bark is alright I hear.

reinholds
08-04-2007, 04:44 PM
But there is no other king of substrates... Ok she wont be dead after one night? So this corn granules would be better than fir. I doesn't smell much and in this company web page is written that it's good for ALL reptiles...

Topazfyre
08-04-2007, 04:45 PM
The corn would be better, yes... And if your in a pinch, you can also use newpaper, which should be fine fore it (probably actually your best option).

reinholds
08-04-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm bit confused - don't corn snakes live in pine-dominated forests? Here is link! (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/pdf/end-thrtened/cornsnake.pdf) So if she lives in pine forests what could happen with fir which is less smelling tree.

diamondlil
08-04-2007, 06:47 PM
In pine or fir tree forests there isn't a bed of shavings in an enclosed space, over a heat source.
I can't get aspen at reasonable prices where I live, so for over a year I've been using a chopped barley straw bedding with good results

JustineNYC
08-04-2007, 09:21 PM
But there is no other king of substrates... Ok she wont be dead after one night? So this corn granules would be better than fir. I doesn't smell much and in this company web page is written that it's good for ALL reptiles...

How can anyone tell you that? If its not worth the risk, use paper towels.

Cam5
08-04-2007, 10:48 PM
We have used paper towels from day one. We also shred a bunch and have the hide spots etc for our guy to burrow under, hide in etc. It also makes me less worried about impaction. But then as you all know I worry about everything. :bang:

Everyone is different.

At 5 feet do you know her weight?

Good luck...

reinholds
08-05-2007, 05:01 PM
How about those links?
1 (http://www.herphangout.com/caresheet.php?sheet=56) 2 (http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/biology/facilities/herp/caresheetpages/corn.html)
3 (http://www.repticzone.com/forums/CornSnakes/messages/1368911.html)

Corny Noob
08-05-2007, 05:34 PM
All I can say to you is, if you want to believe them do so.
Or believe us, we only have your best intrest and the corn's at heart. But if you post down the line telling us your snake is sick there's not much help we can give you if you won't listen.

Edit: Looking at your posting history I must say I'm actually suprised you're at least attempting to heed their advice. Normally you post your problem panicing, people respond and then you just disapear never saying if anything is ok or thanking anyway.

Roy Munson
08-05-2007, 05:48 PM
"The best substrate for corns is rusty razorblades." -R. Munson

Now that my advice is available on the internet, we can trust it without question. :grin01:

But seriously, look at the numerous substrate polls that have been posted here, and you'll see that most people use aspen. There are a few renegades out there who use pine shavings, but even if the risk is low, there is no denying that pine and fir oils are toxic to snakes. Sometimes my snakes make aspen soup in their water bowls, and I'm not even comfortable with them drinking that. I'd be freaking out if they were drinking oily pine soup. I don't like cypress mulch because it holds too MUCH humidity. I've used carefresh, newspaper, astro-turf, paper towels, Repti-bark, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I still like aspen best. :)

reinholds
08-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Yep sorry. My mistake. :headbang: Yes I believe to you and I'm very grateful about all your help. I don't want to experiment with my snake - I'll get aspen shaving after 2 days. I'm just thinking what those people is thinking about when they write that it's ok to use fir, pine ect. For example you know all from your great experience, but those who write that it's ok to use them practically expose to danger all who are searching what to give to snakes.
I didn't want to say that you are doing something wrong. I wanted to pay attention that it's very easy to find wrong web pages...
Sorry if I offended someone.
P.S.
I zoo corn snakes live on sands, is it good substrate?

Corny Noob
08-05-2007, 05:54 PM
No no no sand is a HORRIBLE substrate for corns :(
So much risk of impaction, getting underneath their scales, in their eyes their mouth their noses

reinholds
08-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Ok got it :D

jaxom1957
08-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Hi All!
I bought her new substrates. Is it ok with Exo-Terra Forest Bark (http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=1039) . I found it in local zoo shop. All other was made from pine, but this one from fir. There wasn't anything else. Can corn snake live in that substrate?That depends primarily on how the wood was dried. Kiln dried pine or fir is relatively safe, as the drying process eliminates the toxic off-gassing. If the wood has no odor, it is probably fine to use. I personally use a 50/50 mix of aspen shavings and kiln dried pine shavings because I like the softer texture the addition of pine gives the substrate.

reinholds
08-07-2007, 02:22 AM

reinholds
08-21-2007, 04:11 AM
I got for her Aspen shaving!!! But it has some little odor... Is it ok?

Topazfyre
08-21-2007, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't worry about it- the odor in other woods is toxic compared to the Aspen odor- the most this does is make poops smell a little bit better. ;)

Velvet
08-21-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm just thinking what those people is thinking about when they write that it's ok to use fir, pine ect.

They probably think about how much money they make off of people who just don't know any better, myself included in the past, I'm sure we have all been conned in some way at some or other stage.

Makes me wonder though...are the companies who sell these products that are labelled "suitable for all reptiles" just ignorant? Or are they knowingly selling products that endanger the lives of animals? Either way, it's a disturbing thought...

Another example, my friend nearly lost 3 of her cats because she used a spray on dip on them that was marked "Safe to use on all animals". It contained a poisonous substance that is potentially fatal if ingested, she followed the directions exactly. Fortunately she confronted them and they paid for the vet's bills!

Allison
08-21-2007, 10:36 AM
"The best substrate for corns is rusty razorblades." -R. Munson

So it's not ok to use rusty razor blades?!

:sidestep:

:grin01:

reinholds
09-13-2007, 03:53 PM
I don't know why, but he still like once in two days sneez and one time in a week hang out his tongue. He do it more rear, but still sometime he do it! What could be problem?