PDA

View Full Version : Snake Oil?

Snake Oil?

LeeC
08-03-2007, 07:13 PM
I bought this bottle of "nature zone" "benson & sons snake oil/reptile polish"
that is supposed to help with cuts/bites/dull skin/mites... and put it on both my corns.

It says all natural / non-toxic, and I noticed today that snow white was drinking out of her water dish, but some of the oil was floating in the water. Could this harm her? I changed the water asap but im sure she prob drank some of it....

The other thing is that I put the oil on jasmin like the day before she went blue... it kept her skin oil-ly and such, but today shes out of blue (like 3 days later) and she did not shed... did this oil stop her from shedding? Shes not dry or wrinkled at all. no shed in cage or bedding. weird. any help?

Roy Munson
08-03-2007, 07:32 PM
I doubt the stuff hurt your snakes, but I wouldn't use it. Corns don't need anything like that. The snake that came out of blue will shed soon.

LeeC
08-03-2007, 07:46 PM
I only got the only because I thought i found some mites... I just wanted to be safe.

Roy Munson
08-03-2007, 08:05 PM
I only got the only because I thought i found some mites... I just wanted to be safe.
I can just about guarantee you that that stuff will not be the least bit effective in eradicating mites. If you really suspect that you have an infestation, you should do a search here for eradication methods (search for keyword: mites).

LeeC
08-03-2007, 08:21 PM
I can just about guarantee you that that stuff will not be the least bit effective in eradicating mites. If you really suspect that you have an infestation, you should do a search here for eradication methods (search for keyword: mites).

yea I did that, and cleaned everything and my snakes... the guy at the petstore said this stuff puts a prevenitive coat over the snake so that if i missed any mites it would protect my snakes. thats what the bottle says too.
I just wanted to be safe, I havent seen any "mites" in days.

Roy Munson
08-03-2007, 08:42 PM
yea I did that, and cleaned everything and my snakes... the guy at the petstore said this stuff puts a prevenitive coat over the snake so that if i missed any mites it would protect my snakes. thats what the bottle says too.
I just wanted to be safe, I havent seen any "mites" in days.
I had a mite infestation in a small group of corns about seventeen years ago. The mites' favorite place to embed themselves was in the groove under the chin and in the skin around their eye-sockets. I don't know if I'd pour snake polish into a snake's eyes or near its mouth or nostrils. I'm guessing that the stuff really is harmless, but I'm also guessing tht the preventive coat claim is B.S.. How could it coat the outer surface of the scales, the inner surface of the scales, the skin between the scales, and the eye-sockets of the snake too?

If you really got rid of them, then congratulations! But they can be persistent little buggers. Check the eye-sockets, and that chin groove periodically. Check the water dish too. Are you positive they were snake mites? Snake mites look like black pepper specks, and their feces look like even smaller whitish gray specks.

Lennycorn
08-03-2007, 08:44 PM
... the guy at the petstore said this stuff puts a prevenitive coat over the snake so that if i missed any mites it would protect my snakes. thats what the bottle says too.

Yeah...and I got some nice land you might want to but too.
Sorry, but that made me laugh.
Like Roy said, you don't really need that stuff, save your money.

Lennycorn
08-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Oopps. that's buy not but.

Someday I'll chip in the $25. :grin01:

LeeC
08-03-2007, 09:46 PM
im not even sure if they were snake mites... they were very small black bugs, matching the descption of mites. but ever since i cleaned the cage and used the oil I havent seen 1. I only saw like 3 to start with kinda under scales. none by nose or eyes.

the bottle cost me $15.29 :(
so im hoping it helped lol...

LeeC
08-04-2007, 05:27 PM
You were right Roy, she started shedding last night. The thing is its in peices, the first 1/4 of he body is shed. Im going to let her work on the rest by her self today and tonight If shes not fully shed, ill put her in a wet pillowcase... its worked for me before.