• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Fecal tests

SnowFoxx

How many of you get every snake you buy tested for parasites? What if you know they are all CB, and what about the ones who come from "good" breeders? I quarentine all my animals for six months, but have never had fecal tests done on any of them, because they all appear healthy (put on weight well, make pretty poop, etc.) and most of them are from well known, and/or responsible breeders. Opinions?

- Victoria

I've never had a fecal test done on a new snake. I "quarantine" them for 30 days, but even after then, they just go in an individual cage in the general population rack until I put them in with another to mate. I have, however, lost two new snakes this year and have some pukers from the same breeder. I may get a fecal done if any of the remainders regurge after this fast and subsequent feeding.

I would definately get a fecal done on every new snake you get regardless of the breeder. No matter how careful and responsible the breeder is, no one is immune from parasites. I bet if you ask these "responsible breeders" if they themselves recommend you add these animals directly to your colony, I am sure even they would say to quarantine your new snakes no matter what. I would also quarantine for at least six months, unfortunatly sometimes things can be harbored for even longer than that.
If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you read Cowboyway's post on crypto. If you consider how easily it can infect water, and how difficult it is to get rid of it (bleach does not even work), it is very scary. So if you "commune wash" all your water bowls/deli cups in bleach, transmission can still be very possible. I myself am leaning towards disposable water containers after reading up on all this.
I just recently got around to testing some animals I aquired in the last six months. Even though these animals have been totally symptom free for the past six months, some worms and bacteria were found. It is very worrysome to think what would have happened if I relied on quarantine and symptoms alone. Now I have them tested right from the start and have them tested a few times before I even consider bringing them in the same room as my breeders.
I pay about $13 per fecal to me the cost of 3 fecals ($39) is nothing compared to the worth of my collection, or even one of my breeders. Heck, that is how much we are all willing to pay for shipping. I guess it all comes down to how much you like to gamble.

I use a hospital grade sugical scrub on all my snake's furniture, and wash them seperately, so that isn't a problem. My two newest snakes are from Rich, but I'm guessing he doesn't post here very often, so I'm not expecting him to respond.

- Victoria

Back