PDA

View Full Version : HELP regurge probs

HELP regurge probs

fire51
08-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Hi all, let me give you some background. I have 2 corns, both are in a viv together ( ive seen the posts )they have been together for about 3 weeks with no probs. I feed them both fuzzys on thursday. I take my ghost out and feed her in another container. They both take the mice with no probs. I got them out on friday to take a pic ( i dont usually handle the day before, on the day of feed or the day after) on saturday i took both out to handle, and true to form my aztec had a poo! I also got my ghost out but she never had a poo! I put them back in the viv thinking that she might have one in there instead. i went to get both out this morning. My ghost still never had a poo! When i looked in there hide i saw a regurged mouse! But to add another twist, i saw some poo in the viv that looked quite new! im not sure whats going on as i dont think the mouse was left from the week before, because the mouse was not dry and looked rather fresh!

What to you guys think :shrugs:
Also how long to wait till i next feed? but dont know who regurged!!! HELP
Thanx for your help :cry:

Jillie
08-12-2007, 09:34 AM
This is one reason why it is not good to cohabitate, although I do this also so I am by no means preaching to you. :) . So to the problem in hand, do you feed your snakes the same size food ie pinkies fuzzie etc.If no maby you could take a closer look and see if you can tell what is was that was regurged. Maby you could feed them 3 days apart this could help but wouldnt be completely fool proof. (my snake regurged after 5 days.)
I am by no means an expert and these are just two ideas. sorry I cannot help you any more than that. :shrugs:

Jillie
08-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Sorry I also forgot to mention. Leave the snake 10 days from when it regurged until its next feed. A regurge takes up alot of a snakes stomach acid so it needs to rebuild this before having to digest more food.(At Least I think thats what happens) But defo 10 days xxJxx

PtDnsr
08-12-2007, 10:18 AM
This is one of the main reasons not to cohabitate. Because you don't know which one regurged (you didn't see it) you should treat both your snakes as if they regurged. Wait ten days and then feed a smaller sized food item. Even if they've been "ok" for three weeks it's very possible that it's stress from being housed together that made the one regurge. In reptiles we don't always see the signs of stress or sickness until it is very bad, which is what could be happening with your snakes. I'd suggset separating them as it will make it easier in the future if one regurges in addition to the other benefits. It is very hard to cohabitate snakes and I don't ever recommend it. The only time that I cohabitate is during breeding season and *most* other breeders are the same way. Just my .02

~Katie

diamondlil
08-12-2007, 12:34 PM
I replied in your other thread. Hope you can separate the snakes and start the road to recovery for them

Jimmy Johnson
08-12-2007, 01:46 PM
In my opinion regurge is an obvious problem.
Read all the info and still wonder what the problem is.
separate the snakes and let this be a lesson learned.
Once you have them separated do as mentioned above....wait 10 days before feeding again and when you do feed go with a food item as small as possible.
You will also need to check your temperatures.
Too hot or too cold can cause regurges.
You will probably think "well, if it was temps why not both snakes?"
well, if one snake is stressed it will be weaker. Stress weakens animals and humans for that mater, making them more susceptible to other problems.

fire51
08-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Ok guys i might buy another viv soon then!! thanx ever so much for your advice!
The wierd thing is that i went back to the place where i bought the snakes and the viv and they say that its ok to keep them together.

How come when i have gone into reptile shops thay have a few snakes in viv's together?? just a question i was wondering. Thanx again for your help :D

Nanci
08-13-2007, 01:27 PM
They say it's ok because either they don't know any better, or they don't care. If they keep them all together, they can have more on display than if each had to have a separate viv. Since they are probably buying them dirt cheap from a wholesaler, it doesn't matter if a few succumb to stress or eat each other. All they care about is that you buy one or more of them. Just because a pet store employee tells you it's ok to feed your cornsnake crickets, or to keep two together, or to put a hot rock in with them, or to handle the day after you feed it doesn't mean that's good advice. You're better off buying a good book about corns, like Kathy Love's book, or Don Soderburg's book, and learning as much as you can, then coming here if you need more help.

Nanci

Punkatized
08-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Me and my fiance have had the same problem...though one of our snakes sadly died from it.

Our other snake has now re-gurged but we know what the problem was, we had forgotten to cut slits on the back of the pinkies back. It helps the snake digest its food easier. I guess try that (if you dont do it already) next time you feed them. But wait 10 days. =)

susang
08-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Ok guys i might buy another viv soon then!! thanx ever so much for your advice!
The wierd thing is that i went back to the place where i bought the snakes and the viv and they say that its ok to keep them together.

How come when i have gone into reptile shops thay have a few snakes in viv's together?? just a question i was wondering. Thanx again for your help :D

I thought I would not answer anymore threads about co-habitation, but this response forced to me to answer: After all you have read, all the advice you have been given you might get another viv. Your snake might die, need vet visits, medicine; which you might get or do. There should be no crying on your part you took the risk and now undortunatley for the snake there is a problem.
I am sorry about your snake it deserves better. susan

susang
08-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Me and my fiance have had the same problem...though one of our snakes sadly died from it.

Our other snake has now re-gurged but we know what the problem was, we had forgotten to cut slits on the back of the pinkies back. It helps the snake digest its food easier. I guess try that (if you dont do it already) next time you feed them. But wait 10 days. =)

Oh my G** twice in one thread I said I would not respond. Slitting the back or not doing it is probably not the reason your snake regurged. I have 8 snakes never slit, never slit, other people I know don't slit. The only reason one might slit or brain... is if the snake is a poor eater or they have a problem hatchling.

Nanci
08-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Susan,

Slitting the back _might_ have made a boderline digestible meal ok for the already chronically regurging baby to keep down. At least that's what I thought they meant.

Nanci

susang
08-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Susan,

Slitting the back _might_ have made a boderline digestible meal ok for the already chronically regurging baby to keep down. At least that's what I thought they meant.

Nanci

OK, I thought I agree with you, but what I thought she said "re-gurged but we know what the problem was, we had forgotten to cut slits on the back of the pinkies back". I do agree if it is a problem feeder or habitual regurger (probably not a real word).

Nanci
08-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Right, a snake should be able to digest and not regurge, normally, without slits.

Nanci

Punkatized
08-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Oh my G** twice in one thread I said I would not respond. Slitting the back or not doing it is probably not the reason your snake regurged. I have 8 snakes never slit, never slit, other people I know don't slit. The only reason one might slit or brain... is if the snake is a poor eater or they have a problem hatchling.

I'm sorry...=/
I may have worded myself wrong. I didnt want to get into the whole story beyond my point I was making. My snake had gotten sick and someone on this site actually did tell me to slit the back of the pinky (which did help him digest better). I wasnt trying to say that a snake "cant" digest with out it being done...I was just saying it would help them digest...and with my experiance and two other corns I've noticed it has made a diffrence in them. I was just giving an opinion. :shrugs:

Jimmy Johnson
08-14-2007, 08:45 PM
It does help

I had a little girl with a regurge problem and I would slit the pinks to help speed up/aid digestion.

It did help.

But I am kind of wondering about the "might buy another viv" part as well.

I don't get it...hasn't this helped convinced you of the problems?
Yes, a lot of people keep snakes together without problems, I did, but when you have problems how hard is to make the decision?

Hell, you can get a 32 quart sterilite box for about $5.00
or a 10 gallon aquarium for around $7.00 to $10.00
or a twenty gallon aquaruin for $25.00.
It really isn't a major expense.
not nearly as expensive as the snake/snakes that could die.

Phoenixmom
08-19-2007, 12:54 PM
I just got a new baby cornsnake. The pet store said they fed it on the wednesday prior (I got it last sunday) so I fed it on wednesday, thinking a week should be fine. I haven't handled it except to feed it. Today I noticed something in the viv which I originally thought was his waste (poo) since it pretty much looked lk a pinky (we feed it frozen pinkies) only a tanish color. But now I wonder if it could be regurg because I don't know what that looks like. Also, if it is waste, could it be from my feeding just 4 days ago or was it most likely from his last meal at the pet store?? Could someone describe the visual differences between poo & regurg please??

diamondlil
08-19-2007, 01:00 PM
I just got a new baby cornsnake. The pet store said they fed it on the wednesday prior (I got it last sunday) so I fed it on wednesday, thinking a week should be fine. I haven't handled it except to feed it. Today I noticed something in the viv which I originally thought was his waste (poo) since it pretty much looked lk a pinky (we feed it frozen pinkies) only a tanish color. But now I wonder if it could be regurg because I don't know what that looks like. Also, if it is waste, could it be from my feeding just 4 days ago or was it most likely from his last meal at the pet store?? Could someone describe the visual differences between poo & regurg please??
You'd get better response from starting your own thread, but just for the record, normal snakes on pinkies produce what looks like bird poop, not recognisable as pinky remains. I'd personlly treat it as a possible regurge and hold off feeding for 10 days