PDA

View Full Version : My snake needs some "growth hormone"

My snake needs some "growth hormone"

Droptines
08-19-2007, 08:28 PM
I am baffled ??,,my snake has seemed to STOP growing.She made some nice jumps in the beginning,but I don't think she's grown in the last 3 or 4 months :eek1: what the heck ??.
Her meal size is good,,she eats every 6 to 7 days,(she is about a year old).
I would say she is between 28" and 30" long.Good shape,and girth.
What do you guys suggest ??.

jaxom1957
08-19-2007, 10:15 PM
I am baffled ??,,my snake has seemed to STOP growing.She made some nice jumps in the beginning,but I don't think she's grown in the last 3 or 4 months :eek1: what the heck ??.
Her meal size is good,,she eats every 6 to 7 days,(she is about a year old).
I would say she is between 28" and 30" long.Good shape,and girth.
What do you guys suggest ??.That you weigh and measure her less often. If a 12" snakes grows an inch, it's noticeable. If a 28" snake grows an inch, it bare registers. Check her length and weight quarterly at most, and you're more likely to notice the difference in your records than in how she looks.

Msterry
08-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi Droptines
If was to guess my snakes lenght i know id be way off. :grin01: I keep a record of each one. When they eat, what they ate and i measure there sheds. By measuring each shed i am able to tell how much they have growen. I would never have thought 3 of them here measure in at 43 in's plus. I thought maybe 36 in's but i also know others are much better at it..See how off i would have been..I also borrow my daughters digital scale for time to time to weigh mine to see if they have gained.
I guess what im suggesting is to measure its next few shed and perhaps weigh it for a few months. Hopefully you will see she is actually growing but its just not noticable? Good luck....

Droptines
08-20-2007, 04:50 AM
You guys are probably right.I have never weighed her,,I just gage her when she's in my hands,so she maybe growing a little.It just seemed like a while back she dubled her size in a few months,,and now she's slowed considerably,,but like you said,still growing.
I'll brake out my gram scale a start keeping a more accurate record :grin01:
Thanks

Liselle
08-20-2007, 07:22 AM
I think measuring sheds might give some idea about the snake's growth rate, but as far as I know the lenghth of the shed and the length of the snake are rarely the same - the shed can stretch surprisingly much. Never really measured both my snake AND a shed to see how big exactly the difference is, but it does indeed seem to me that the snake and the shed are a different length. So don't trust it too much. ;)

MegF.
08-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Sheds are the least accurate way to measure length. They can vary in the amount they stretch from 10-15%. There's no way of knowing how much each has stretched. You're better off using the serpwidgets snake measuring program to get an accurate measurement. I find that my snakes will go thru growth spurts, seem to not grow for a while and then all of a sudden they are bigger.