PDA

View Full Version : Shedding

Shedding

bindy
04-13-2003, 06:20 AM
Hi, this is my first message, could do with some advice please. My corn snake is shedding and has been doing so for a week now does it normally take this long?

Susan
04-13-2003, 08:38 AM
If your snake's shed is coming off in little bits and pieces, more than likely, you need to increase the humidity in your snake's habitat. There are numerous methods to help your snake finish it's current shed. The method I prefer is to loosely fill a small container (tupperware with air holes) with moistened newspaper and put the snake in it for 24 hours. The moisture will help loosen the shed and the snake's movement through all the newspaper will help take the shed skin off. This method has never failed for me.

bindy
04-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Thanks Susan i'l give it a go.

CAV
04-14-2003, 09:52 AM
What kind of substrate are you using? It can be contributing to the problem. Some substrates, such as Repti-Bark, keep the humidity higher than others. Most of my snakes shed in one piece and completed the process within 20-30 minutes. I recently had a baby snow complete a shed while sitting in it's feeding cup waiting to eat.

bindy
04-15-2003, 05:27 PM
Thanks Cav, I use repi bark, how else could i increase humidity?

CAV
04-15-2003, 05:43 PM
I have found that the plastic rubbermaids do a much better job of holding in moisture than a glass, open top viv. I have one male in glass and he consistently has problems shedding. I have found that covering part of the screen top with newspaper helps retain more moisture.

With the Repti-Bark, you can mist the bark with a little bit of water. Not enough to soak it, just enough to add trace moisture. I use Repti-Bark in a rack system and sometimes have drinking water spill when I remove the tub. I clean as needed and then mix up the bark, absorbing the water. The rule of thumb I use is place my hand in the bark. You shouldn't be able to actually feel any wet spots. This works pretty well and keeps the humidity consistent. I have never had a problem with the snakes shedding using this method.

As a side note: The climate you live in plays a big role. I live in the Southeast part of Texas, where humidity is high year round. You don't want to increase the moisture to a level that can cause health problems for the snake.

Hope this helps.