PDA

View Full Version : What tells you your corn is hungry or do you always feed on schedule?

What tells you your corn is hungry or do you always feed on schedule?

QuickSilver
04-15-2003, 05:20 PM
We noticed with our first corn (a petite 2002 hatchling, Lava, now MIA from locked viv) that she'd get more active and cruise the viv when she got hungry, about every 4th day (I think that's normal for a hatchling). With our second guy (a "buff" 2002 hatchling: Silver), he wasn't showing any interest on the 6th day until we gave him a pinkie. After he ate that he kept cruising and smelling the area where the pinkie was, I wasn't sure if he really wanted another or what. I don't know that's he's ready for 2 pinkies at a time, the one we gave him was a larger pinkie. I know corns are oportunistic eaters, that is to say that they'll usually eat when presented with the opportunity. I don't want to overfeed him, but I also don't want to underfeed him and I 'm not understanding his signals :confused: . So, am I nuts, does anybody else try to "read" their snakes signals?

Ghost
04-15-2003, 09:01 PM
I have a schedule I try and keep my corn on. I have no idea as to what a sign that my snake is hungry would be. I guess she wouldn't swallow it if she wasn't hungry though...lol

Faithfulness91
04-15-2003, 09:14 PM
i have a schdule too. i feed her every week on mondays and i t ry
to feed her one but i think now i should move up... but you cant over feed so be careful:)

13mur 6
04-15-2003, 10:27 PM
My healthy corns I feed on a rough schedule (every 4-5 days), or less if I fed a large prey item the feeding before. The one snake recovering from a bacterial infection, I'm feeding a day after she poops. I think her digestion is speeding up (her intestinal villi probably recovering), and this way it keeps that food coming, but not so fast that it's too much for her to handle.

Sometimes my snakes don't want food, so I don't feed them for a while, maybe a week. Other times they seem to want alot of food, so I give them an extra little, maybe an extra mouse fuzzy along with their normal rat pink.

-13mur 6

Rachel
04-16-2003, 03:41 AM
I keep to a rough schedule with my older snakes. they get fed every 7-10 days. Noodle usually takes 2 fuzzies and Pretzel will take 2 larger mice (sometimes only 1 if he's in one of those moods). I can always tell when Pretzel is hungry because he's alot more active and will pop out of his hide as soon as you open his tank.