PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks and not eating.

3 weeks and not eating.

Joshadel!c
08-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Two weeks ago I got a hatchling corn snake and after owning her for two weeks she still haven't eaten. The store where I purchased her told me she has'nt eaten since they got her in, which was a week before I purchased her. I tried to feed her 3 times so far. Each time I placed her in a seperate container from her 'home' and left her there for at least an hour. At first I thought it was normal, especially after she shed last week. It was 5 days after the shed that I offered a pinkie, and she still did'nt eat.

I have a candy cane corn, which I know is a picky eater, but is it normal to go 3 weeks without feeding? She is VERY thin, and i'm getting VERY concerned. Will they starve themselves to death? I don't want her die.

Thank you in advance for any help.

bwellsy53
08-27-2007, 09:15 PM
give him more time than an hour leave it over night in a dark quiet room that is warm

Joshadel!c
08-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Should I offer a live pinkie, or a frozen/thawed?

Probablly live ...

susang
08-27-2007, 09:26 PM
There are the usual questions like temp gradient, set-up, what size container are you feeding in. I wouldn't jump to live until all these factors have been considered.

Joshadel!c
08-27-2007, 09:31 PM
There are the usual questions like temp gradient, set-up, what size container are you feeding in. I wouldn't jump to live until all these factors have been considered.

I have a 15 gallon setup with bark bedding which is about 2 inches deep. I have a ceramic hide on the 'warm' side, a wooden hide on the 'cool' side, and a large branch across the whole vivarium. I have the water dish in the center.

The temp gradient is usually 80 on the warm side and 75 on the cool side.

I put her in a large paper bag when I attempt to feed. That way I can close it up and leave her to her own business while I go about my own, so as not to stress her out.

bwellsy53
08-27-2007, 09:42 PM
that seems good some people suggest keeping the water dish in the corner but thats nit picking...i say you just need to give it more time and then consider braning it before going to live

Joshadel!c
08-27-2007, 09:44 PM
I've offered live pinkies all 3 times ... Should I try offering frozen/thawed?

I figured the live, moving prey would be more enticing.

susang
08-27-2007, 09:55 PM
I don't like the paper bag thing, but that is just me. Usually a deli cup with holes works well not to much bigger than snake, so it has to confront the mouse, try dangling f/t. You may be a little cool warm side usually around 80-85. I do live pinks and fresh killed and f/t my snakes will do either, this however is controversial as freezing kills the parasites in mice. I raise my own mice, so feel safe with my plan. You should decide for yourself the risk beyond parasites is the snake will not eat frozen after eating fresh. susan

Joshadel!c
08-27-2007, 10:24 PM
So you would recommend trying to feed f/t next time?

susang
08-27-2007, 10:30 PM
You have me confused

Should I offer a live pinkie, or a frozen/thawed?
Probablly live ...

then you wrote

I've offered live pinkies all 3 times ... Should I try offering frozen/thawed?

If you have fed live try washing it wish mild detergent rinse very well, wiggle it in front of snake. If tried frozen try live. If frozen slit back make sure it is warm enough.
I'm sorry I'm just not sure what you have done :shrugs: susan

Joshadel!c
08-27-2007, 10:47 PM
I've only had my snake for about 3 weeks. I tried feeding each week, and each time I used a LIVE pinkie. Since it hasn't eaten the live, should I try feeding f/t?

I would think a live pinkie would encourage feeding more than a dead f/t pinkie ... right?

susang
08-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Some snakes don't like the smell of live or f/t so washing helps. You can try sliting the pink so it has a smell of blood, lizard scent, chicken broth. Sometimes the a live pinkie will lie perfectly still thats why I like to be able to see what the snake is doing and the pink. If you don't want to hold the pink and wiggle it you can nudge it with a chop stick, again seeing what is going on helps.

Thoth
08-27-2007, 10:56 PM
I would think a live pinkie would encourage feeding more than a dead f/t pinkie ... right?

Not necessarily. The movement or squealing could scare the snake, instead of eliciting an instinctual feeding response.

Try what susang suggested about washing the pink in Ivory soap to get any off-putting or extraneous smells off of the pink. Make a few slits in the pinkie's back with a pair of scissors.

If that doesn't work, try braining (exposing the pinkie's brain), dipping the warmed pinkie in chicken broth, or scenting with lizard (see if you can get a freshly shed lizard skin from a reptile store, take a small piece of it and stick it to the pinkie's head).

From what I've read, baby corns in the wild usually start off eating small anoles; they work up to endothermic prey later on.

Also, make sure you wait a few days between attempts. If not, you may condition the snake to just refuse every time.

Rich in KY
08-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Not necessarily. The movement or squealing could scare the snake, instead of eliciting an instinctual feeding response.

Try what susang suggested about washing the pink in Ivory soap to get any off-putting or extraneous smells off of the pink. Make a few slits in the pinkie's back with a pair of scissors.

If that doesn't work, try braining (exposing the pinkie's brain), dipping the warmed pinkie in chicken broth, or scenting with lizard (see if you can get a freshly shed lizard skin from a reptile store, take a small piece of it and stick it to the pinkie's head).

From what I've read, baby corns in the wild usually start off eating small anoles; they work up to endothermic prey later on.

Also, make sure you wait a few days between attempts. If not, you may condition the snake to just refuse every time.

I agree.

The only other suggestion I would make is where you put the snake when feeding. I have never been a big fan of the paper bag. I have had success with small critter keepers or i have used the containers that you get soup in from a chinese restaurant. Just something small that gives the snake privacy but will also insure that the snake will come in contact with the pinky.

Brizzle
08-27-2007, 11:16 PM
The first time I got a baby corn snake he wouldn't eat for me for about a month. Then one day I saw him moving around his tank more than usual and I thought hmm..
So I gave him a f/t pink and he ate it like a pig. Just try waiting another week and don't handle him at all.

Joshadel!c
08-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Thank you so much for all the advise! :D

Tomorrow I will buy some frozen pinkies and try some of the techniques you have offered me ... I really hope she eats soon though. I'm getting worried she will starve to death.

Nastassja
08-28-2007, 02:25 AM
Keep us updated on how your little one is doing and what methods you try.

My ex's snake is running on over 2 weeks without eating right now and is in the same boat. So far we have tried f/t tease, left overnight, left overnight in containment, and cut/bleeding, all attempts so far are unsuccessful. :(