PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Bite, Oh No!!!!

Mouse Bite, Oh No!!!!

CoralSnowCorn
08-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Well I just did the most dumn thing. Well to start off, I breed my own mice for the 3 corn I have and and kill them and freeze them for later, but every now and then I give a live mouse, well today I gave 1 to my snow corn and she grabbed the mouse from the side and bite her. :eek1: There are hole in her side, not two deep and not life threatning, but I am worried it might get infected or something so I was woundering what I should do to help her heal. :cry: I guess she will not be getting anymore live mice.

susang
08-30-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm sorry, I feed live but only pinkie and fuzzy. I tried fuzzy hamster live and it bit my snake. Hope your snake will be OK. The problem I've heard is they may fear mice in the future. susan

Nomed
08-30-2007, 04:28 PM
I dont get that, why would you switch between live and f/t I would assume the snake would find it confising and why risk even something like this bite you are stressing out about. Save yourself and your snake the worries/stress and just feed f/t (thats just IMO) Anyway I would put a little neosporin on it and you can bandage it up if you like. Your snake should be fine.

Quail
08-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Sorry about your snake, I'd be in shock if that happneed to me. I was wondering wither or not I should feed live or Dead prey to my snake, I guess I'm goin to feed Dead Prey. Anyway, your snake should should see a Vetranerein.

Nomed
08-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Sorry about your snake, I'd be in shock if that happneed to me. I was wondering wither or not I should feed live or Dead prey to my snake, I guess I'm goin to feed Dead Prey. Anyway, your snake should should see a Vetranerein.

I would strongly sugguest live because of this reason, and frozen mice dont carry parasites that live ones can (when they are frozen it kills them) I dont think there is a need to see a vet unless it is a really bad bite.

Also something you can do to avoid this is to put something right in front of the mouses mouth and have it bite on that instead of your snake. :]

CoralSnowCorn
08-30-2007, 08:10 PM
This may sound like a dumb question but whats the diffence between polysporin and neosporin. And I only feed live mice to my snakes when there is a litter of babbies the right size which does not happen often because I am stocked up on the right size mouse and am killing the mice to big for later use, so I dont think it would confuse the snakes to much if at all. :shrugs:

Rich in KY
08-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Neosporin contains three different antibiotics: bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B. Neomycin is not included in Polysporin. In Canada, the Neosporin brand is not sold at all, but Polysporin is sold in several varieties.

MegF.
08-30-2007, 09:10 PM
The polysporin I've bought contains all three, neosporin only one ingredient. I would remove the substrate, make sure you've cleaned the bite well and use neosporin (without pain relief) on the bite daily until it's closed. Snake's are remarkably tough and they heal rapidly. Lesson learned.

Nomed
08-30-2007, 09:15 PM
This may sound like a dumb question but whats the diffence between polysporin and neosporin. And I only feed live mice to my snakes when there is a litter of babbies the right size which does not happen often because I am stocked up on the right size mouse and am killing the mice to big for later use, so I dont think it would confuse the snakes to much if at all. :shrugs:

so you feed your snakes live if there is a litter the right size? So why dont you just put the mouse in a baggie and wack it against your wall before giving it to your snakes? :shrugs:

jaxom1957
08-30-2007, 09:20 PM
This may sound like a dumb question but whats the diffence between polysporin and neosporin. It's the difference between "facial tissue" and "Kleenex". Neosporin is a brand name, Polysporin a generic version of the same.

CoralSnowCorn
08-30-2007, 10:13 PM
so you feed your snakes live if there is a litter the right size? So why dont you just put the mouse in a baggie and wack it against your wall before giving it to your snakes? :shrugs:

I don't know why, it was just stupid on my part and I will learn form my mistakes and will not repeat them. Thanks for the help everyone, I will let you know how everything turns out.

Nomed
08-30-2007, 10:37 PM
I would strongly sugguest live because of this reason, and frozen mice dont carry parasites that live ones can (when they are frozen it kills them) I dont think there is a need to see a vet unless it is a really bad bite.

Also something you can do to avoid this is to put something right in front of the mouses mouth and have it bite on that instead of your snake. :]

deffitnally supposed to say I would strongly sugguest f/t

sorry I'm all over the place today :rolleyes:

lplasc
08-30-2007, 11:03 PM
if you have your snake in some type of substrate you might want to switch to paper towels while your snake is in the healing process.

Velvet
08-31-2007, 04:23 AM
I do occasionally feed "live" but I give them a good whack on the head first!!

Most of my snakes eat "fresh" and thawed, I've never had any problems with them getting fussy after being fed a fresh mouse.