PDA

View Full Version : Shedding and feeding baby corn?

Shedding and feeding baby corn?

Kjay
08-30-2007, 11:56 PM
Ok, Noodles has eaten twice now since I've had her (2.5 weeks). I'm feeding her a pinkie every 5 days. Tonight I noticed her eyes were kind of bluish, so I know she's getting ready for her first shed (with me anyway). Her next feeding day is Saturday--do I offer her a pinkie even if she's shedding? If she doesn't eat, do I try again each day or wait till the next 5 days? She's only an 8 gram baby. Thanks once again.

p.s. She is definitely stronger--I can feel it in the way she moves on my fingers! I think she is perfect! :)

Cat_Eyed_Lady
08-31-2007, 12:02 AM
I would try to feed on the normal day... some will eat in blue, others not. Try to feed her and if she eats great, if not, wait til the next scheduled feeding day and try again :) I have some that dont care if they can see or not, they just smell food and eat LOL others... the second they start to go blue, there is no way they will eat. So right now since this is the first shed for you.. all you can do is try and see what the snake wants to do :) Next shed time you will know exactly what to do :)

zeeboismysnake
08-31-2007, 01:08 AM
I agree, try to feed her and if she refuses wait until after she sheds to try again. Although, even if she refuses try for at least the next shed. Zeebo refused the first time he was in blue but has eaten every other time. :shrugs:

Gill2007
08-31-2007, 05:54 AM
Just been through this myself. I got two baby corns about four weeks ago and to begin with they both fed fine. The snow (Vanilla) last week quietened down a lot to the point where I was quite concerned. Normally she is the first one out of the two to find and eat her lunch but on this occasion she didn't seem bothered, her head came up, she was tasting (always a good sign) but then coiled herself up and stayed put in the corner of her viv. I checked temps, checked her over for lumps and bumps and it was then that I noticed her eyes had turned almost opaque. I covered her viv with a blanket to give her a little quiet time and an hour later the pinkie had gone.
Cutting a long story short I checked her yesterday morning before I went out for the day with my daughter and she was still sulking. I walked to the train station (about twenty minutes away) and my mobile phone rang, my husband opened with "Have you seen Nilly this morning?" and I thought I was about to do a u-turn and get her to a vet he sounded so anxious. Then he told me that she had just shed and she looked a lot happier. Last night she was back to her usual self trying to escape!

When we bought Vanilla (Nilly) we bought a sibling also and this morning yep...here we go again lol!

Blessings to you all for the fantastic support and knowledge you're sharing.

Gill

Kjay
08-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Thank you all! I feel a lot better. :) Whenever I get a new pet (species) for the first time, I am a bit anxious about all the details concerning their care! No matter how much reading and research you do ahead of time, it just seems like there's a hundred little things you're just not sure about. I believe in keeping things simple, yet doing it right so the animal has the best chance for a long and healthy life. It certainly helps to hear from others who have been through this before--quite comforting! :) Hopefully one day I'll be the voice of experience for someone new! Till the next question......

Kim

Kjay
09-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Tonight was feeding night, and Noodles took her 3rd pinkie immediately, ate it right down! Three hours later I glance at her tank to find she was just finishing her first (with me) shedding! It came off in 3 pieces, but looks good. I checked in on her and she was all curled up under her warm hide. She looks very nice. :) At least I now know that I don't have to worry about whether she will eat or not while shedding--it looks like I have a little pig on my hands!!

Rich in KY
09-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Congrats on the feeding and the shedding!

zeeboismysnake
09-02-2007, 02:39 AM
Welcome to the "pigs who eat even while blind from shedding" club :p You can just call it the PWEEWBFS club.

Congrats on a feeding and a shed in one night :cheers:

Bluebird
09-02-2007, 10:27 AM
I just found the answer to my post..lol.. :rolleyes:

Bluebird
09-05-2007, 10:42 AM
My son's corn is a member of the PWEEWBFS Club :)

He has never balked from a feeding, even when blue..lol

I hope when I get my new hatchling he/she is as good an eater. :)