PDA

View Full Version : Eyes red after a big meal?

Eyes red after a big meal?

zx3ford
04-16-2003, 05:07 PM
I fed my snow a larger than usual pinkie last night and his eyes went from pink to red while eating it. They still are more red now then they ever have been. Is that just the blood being forced to the surface of the eyes? Should it be something to be concerned with? Any advise is welcome and appreciated.

13mur 6
04-17-2003, 01:41 AM
Hmm... is it the center of the eye that turned more red? Could it be change in lighting causing a trick?

Another thing it could be is that the blood was sapped of oxygen when the snake was swallowing (sometimes they have a hard time breathing when eating something real big, like my snakes sometimes go for 10 minutes without taking a breath during eating and once they get the food item past the air passage at the front of their bottom jaw they take in a huge deep breath). Blood will get darker when it's drained of oxygen. See if the color clears up in a couple hours, if not, something could be wrong.

-13mur 6

zx3ford
04-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the information.. His eyes are normal again. I was just a little worried as this was the largest mouse that he has gotten. He didn't hesitate at all though. :) Thanks again.

CAV
04-17-2003, 08:38 PM
You will always know if it was too big or too much, because you'll see it again in a couple of days!

Chip
04-17-2003, 08:55 PM
I was so ready to type almost that very quote! As for the reddening of the eyes, I'm an old hand at corns, but just broke down in the last year with amels and such. But I've either never seen that phenomenon, or never noticed....

CornCrazy
04-18-2003, 05:51 AM
with my amel cal king. His eyes turned kind of purpleish-red. It scared me at first, too. Then I noticed that it always went away and that it happened everytime he ate.