PDA

View Full Version : i cant get my snake to eat! help!!

i cant get my snake to eat! help!!

Antimo
09-07-2007, 05:22 PM
ive had my corn snake for about three months and he hasnt eaten anything for about a month i fed him pinkies but he just wont eat i realy need help and
like i said its been about a month so he realy needs to eat also his age is well
im not shure exactly but hes almost an adault please help!!!!!

Antimo
09-07-2007, 05:27 PM
also he is very active and healthy looking but he hasnt eaten in a month but he drinks his water regularly.I tried to feed him a pinkie a day ago and he didnt eat it. it seemed as he didnt care the food was there. i realy need help.

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Okay, first off, you shouldn't be feeding a snake that's nearing adulthood pinkies, they need hoppers or larger, depending on the weight and number of items.

Secondly, has the snake been shedding, or does he look 'blue'? Because this can stop them eating. Also, make sure that the mouse is warm. Have you been feeding him in a seperate enclosure? Because if you do, make sure there's no substrate or anything, just him and the mouse. Leave him in the dark (feed him at about 11:00 PM) and wait for 30 minutes or so. Come back to see if there's been any results.

You could try 'braining' the mouse, or cutting it slightly to produce some blood to fire up the snake's appetite. You could also try scenting the mouse by rubbing it against a live rat or anole, or bathing it in chicken broth.

If these fail, then you may wish to contact your local reptile vet and see if everything is okay internally with the guy. Also ensure that the temperatures within the viv are okay (80-85 degrees in the warm end), and that he has plenty of hides.

It's not quite time to panic yet, but let us know how he's getting on.

All the best

Dave (rep' would be greatly appreciated :))

Antimo
09-07-2007, 05:53 PM
well i am feeding him live pinkies now sinces he hasnt been eating dead ones
lately. i have a box i put him and the pinkie in and i close it because he tries to get out after a while.also about the shedding like i said he hasnt eaten in a month so i doubt its that. and i just started giving him live pinkies and he dont want to eat them ether.

PS:my snake is about 3 feet long

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 05:59 PM
You're missing the point mate... it doesn't matter whether they are alive or dead, you shouldn't be feeding pinkies at his length and age. You should be feeding him adult mice once every 7-14 days.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 06:01 PM
and also i tried to feed him last knight at about 9:00 and left him in the box till about 10:00. and there is a heating pad under the box to keep it warm.

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Right okay, make sure that there's a cool bit too. But like I said, adults, 7-14 days okay?

Antimo
09-07-2007, 06:05 PM
ok that sounds good but the guy at the pet shop i bought the snake at
says that its ok for him to eat theses little pinkies and that if he already has been eating them to still give em to him. he said since i was feeding him dead pinkies to give him live ones to get him used to eating live mice.
But i will ask about larger mice.his head isnt very big but i think i could move him up to some biger ones.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 06:06 PM
im just worried about him cause its ben a month almost two month now.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 06:09 PM
and about the shedding i recently found a small peice of his skin in his cage
but he shows no signs he wants to shed and he doesnt look like hes ready to shed any time soon.it a mystery tho how shedded a small peice of skin like that.

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 06:10 PM
If he's nearing adulthood then the guy in the pet store is retarded and dreadfully mis-informed. Just follow the plan I gave you, if it doesn't work then come back here and see your vet okay.

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 06:14 PM
It could be an old piece mate.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 06:16 PM
ok i will try to move him up to a bigger size. right now hes in his box with a live pinkie and he wont eat it.but i will try wat you said.thanks for the help!

PS:hes never eaten live mice even tho ive tried to feed him live pinkies for the past few days.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 06:17 PM
what could be an old peice?

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 06:20 PM
If he doesn't eat live, then surely you should stick with frozen ones, they're easier to keep (obviously) and it's more humane. You can buy them at any shop that stocks snakes.

I was referring to the skin comment you made, when you said that you found a piece of skin in his tank. It could be an old piece from a previous shed that you may have missed.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 06:31 PM
ok so they sell bigger mice frozen?

Cat_Eyed_Lady
09-07-2007, 06:35 PM
ok if I jump in here?? :) An adult like that (3 feet long) should be fed f/t hoppers.... my adult corns couldnt be bothered eating pinks either. They need something abit bigger. try a f/t hopper... make sure it is warm... like 102 when you offer it... put the hot hopper into the tub, put the snake inside, close it up and leave him alone for atleast 2 hours before peeking...

Cat_Eyed_Lady
09-07-2007, 06:36 PM
I say hoppers because you have been offering pinkies and he hasnt eaten for awhile.... once he is eating good then you can move to 2 hoppers or an adult mouse.. prey item can go to about 1.5 times the widest part of your snake... not the head size :)

Antimo
09-07-2007, 06:37 PM
ok so hopper.those are bugs right.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 06:39 PM
you can realy feed full grown mice to a 3 foot corn snake?

diamondlil
09-07-2007, 06:41 PM
ok so hopper.those are bugs right.
No, they are mice, at the stage where they have their eyes open and are fully furred and very active. You may see them labeled as weanlings.
Just out of curiosity, any pictures of your snake?

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 06:41 PM
No dude... Hoppers are mice that are nearing the stage in their life where they start jumping around. Yeah, like CEL said, start with those as I recommended earlier, then work your way up as he grows.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 06:45 PM
ok i will try them.Also he is living in a 20x10x12 cage will he grow much in that.i know a snake his size should hav atleast a 20gallon tank.

susang
09-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Well I'm going to jump in too. You are trying to hard, attempting to feed to many times. As Dave said 7-14 day for an adult snake and bigger then a pinkie. Giving your snake a pinkie would be like giving you 1/4 of a sandwich every 4-5 days. How often are you trying to feed this snake? Why would you try live pinkies to get it up to live mice (not to start the old debate again) but it is so not worth it with your limited experience to feed live mice. Heck you don't even know they sell frozen adult mice. For the exercise go to Rodent Pro and see what is available frozen.
Also has it been one month or two? When was the last time the snake shed? What conditions do you have it in heat, water, number of hides, substrate????? I really don't know of many people who put a heating pad under the feeding tub. Snakes can be too warm and get cranky and not eat. They need warmth to digest, but that is why the viv should have a cool and warm side they will find their own comfort zone. :shrugs: susan

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm guessing that's in inches right? You should consider getting a 36"*18"*18" soon, that'll last him for life then.

susang
09-07-2007, 06:50 PM
OK a bunch of people posted while I was typing. I wondered when I read your first post if you have been feeding mice of any size all along or if you have been feeding bugs.

diamondlil
09-07-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm going out on a limb here, my gut feeling is that you haven't got a snake at all

Cat_Eyed_Lady
09-07-2007, 06:52 PM
it all sounds Really odd to me too.....

Antimo
09-07-2007, 06:53 PM
well i dont know what hides or substrates are but he last shedded i think about 3-4 months ago. he hasnt eaten for about 2 months now.
his box that i feed him in is heated.

Cat_Eyed_Lady
09-07-2007, 06:54 PM
I;m sorry but what ever kind of animal you have?? I feel sorry for it......

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Lmao CEL, I try to think the best of people but this guy is making it really hard. If you do have snake mate then sadly there's not much hope for it if you're his owner.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 06:57 PM
and ive been feeding him pinkies. then i tried to feed him this one week and he didnt eat.then i tried again the next week and then again and again.then i tried live pinkies a few days ago and he wont eat them ether.the guy at the pet shop i bought my snake at said he looked healthy.last time i went there was yesterday and he still looked healthy.he is drinking fine and is very active.

diamondlil
09-07-2007, 06:57 PM
I;m sorry but what ever kind of animal you have?? I feel sorry for it......
It's probably one of thse, you know, troll-snakes . If I'm wrong then I'm truly sorry that you haven't researched your pet properly and I hope you can read the FAQs on this site

susang
09-07-2007, 06:59 PM
it all sounds Really odd to me too.....

Blankety, blank, blank I don't want to get banned but darn these people make me ill. If we try to help we get called morons and idiots and if we really try it's a fake. :bang: dang

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:00 PM
well i will try to feed him bigger. i realy would hate to see my snake die
because of hunger. this is odd but he still seems to poop atleast once
every one to two days.

diamondlil
09-07-2007, 07:01 PM
No corn that age should be 'going' that often. Take a sample to a vet and get it checked for parasites. Again, I have to ask if you have any pictures of your snake?

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:02 PM
well i do have a snake and how is helping someone make you a moron or idiot. i think its a good thing you people are trying to help me. i realy like my snake it just that i cant get him to eat his pinkies. so i will feed him bigger mice.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:04 PM
well the guy at the pet store said he might have parrasites and to check his poop with a very strong magnifing glass to check for parrasites.

Cat_Eyed_Lady
09-07-2007, 07:05 PM
you have a 3 foot snake that you have been feeding 1 pinkie to once a week??? you have no idea what a hide is or what substrate is.. dont know about heat... how to not have it too hot to eat in a seperate tub.... IF you do have a snake.... you havent had it very long, huh??

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:05 PM
i guess i can try to take a picture of him with my camera real quick and try to get it on this site.

diamondlil
09-07-2007, 07:06 PM
well the guy at the pet store said he might have parrasites and to check his poop with a very strong magnifing glass to check for parrasites.
Did he really? So you would know how to recognise snake parasites and know how to treat them, when you don't know what to even feed your snake?

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:07 PM
i have had my snake for a while and i used to feed him in a tub untill he stopped eating. now im desparate and im doing anything to get him to eat.

susang
09-07-2007, 07:07 PM
No corn that age should be 'going' that often. Take a sample to a vet and get it checked for parasites. Again, I have to ask if you have any pictures of your snake?

Exactly adult snakes eat on the average of 7-10 days and poop every 7-10 days. Substrate= what you have in the bottom of the viv, hides=enclosures in the viv for the snake to hide in. Mice little rodents with four legs and a tail, water a clear liquid made up of hydrogen and oxygen.
PICTURES please. What color is your snake, because that might make a differance in its eating habits?
By all means follow the instructions of the pet shop owner that told you to feed it pinkies.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:10 PM
the guy said to check the poop and see if anything is moving in there and he said that if there was that he has some medicine for parrasites and he will teach me how to give it to the snake or he will do it for me.i got this news
that he might have parrasite like 3 days ago.

Cat_Eyed_Lady
09-07-2007, 07:13 PM
ok.... I think I am done posting in here :) this is just too unreal for me, sorry. Something is Just not making any sense what so ever :nope:

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Substrate= what you have in the bottom of the viv, hides=enclosures in the viv for the snake to hide in. Mice little rodents with four legs and a tail, water a clear liquid made up of hydrogen and oxygen.

L M F A O. That's mean, but hilarious, I loved that.

Oh and dude, just take him to a reptile vet, he'll know what to do, you won't, and neither does this pet shop guy.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:14 PM
well he has little wood chips that are small but they are cylinder shaped
kinda and bout 1/4 an inch long. his cage is small but he has a little black house he hides in and sleeps in.he has a waterdish that i refill with new water every day and if its empty.

diamondlil
09-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Take the imaginary snake to the imaginary vet, it won't cost you a thing.
If it's a real snake,take it to a shelter and sign it over, unless you're prepared to look after it properly

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:16 PM
welll sorry every one but this is the truth.strange as it may sound.

susang
09-07-2007, 07:16 PM
What about pics and color???

diamondlil
09-07-2007, 07:18 PM
What about pics and color???
Oh Sue! Give him time to think that one up, it took him 10 mins to look up 'hide' and 'substrate'! :grin01:

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 07:18 PM
I think we can all agree that this guy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:20 PM
but i didnt tell you guy that i did lose him. this happend after he stopped eating. i was trying to feed him and he got out of his box and i lost him for about 2 weeks. then i found him and thats when he was pooping alot.
i found him about a week ago and i was happy to find him healthy exept for the poop. i learned he might have parrasites after i took him back to the pet shop and i told the guy about the poop and eating habbits.

diamondlil
09-07-2007, 07:21 PM
What colour and pattern is your snake, and what is it called?

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 07:22 PM
You lost him... for two weeks? And despite having no food he's crapping everywhere, dude, please give the snake to a sanctuary or centre or something, you're really not capable of looking after this guy.

susang
09-07-2007, 07:22 PM
well he has little wood chips that are small but they are cylinder shaped
kinda and bout 1/4 an inch long. his cage is small but he has a little black house he hides in and sleeps in.he has a waterdish that i refill with new water every day and if its empty.
I think I know the substrate you are talking about, but it is for the little four legged things rodents and cat litter, not snakes. Try aspen, two hides one on cool side (the side of your viv that is 70-75) the warm side (the side of your viv that is 80-85) the water dish big enough for you snake to get in somehwere in the middle.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:23 PM
and i can admit i aint the brightest guy when it comes to snakes. i know how to feed him but i dont know why he stopped eating.and thats why i came here i thought maybe some one could help me. so the only thing i was told about the eating is you guys keep telling me to feed him bigger mice and i will try that.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:24 PM
and i can look after my snake he just wont eat. and so i lost him but i found him.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:26 PM
and also i was going to get him new substrate something like wat you were talking bout because i hear its wat snakes should have and you can feed them in there cages with proper subtrate.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:27 PM
and my snake acts healthy he looks healthy. he just poops alot and wont eat.

susang
We are trying (just a little snake humor in the background going on) but you aren't giving us all the info we've asked for so it makes it difficult to help.

Snake Dave
Yeah but after two weeks. I'm not here to criticise, but just take the advice of myself, susang and the others in order to give this snake a better life. If you can't, it's kinder and more humane to let somebody who's more able take care of him.

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 07:28 PM
and my snake acts healthy he looks healthy. he just poops alot and wont eat.

AKA, not healthy.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:30 PM
im not giving him away ! i like him alot i took care of him for 4 months now!
about 2 months ago he just stoped eating.

susang
09-07-2007, 07:30 PM
and also i was going to get him new substrate something like wat you were talking bout because i hear its wat snakes should have and you can feed them in there cages with proper subtrate.

No, no and no let me guess pet shop guy. They can swallow any substrate with mouse, which could make them sick.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:31 PM
ask me any thing and i will tell you any info you need to know ask me and i will answer

Snake Dave
09-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Right I'm off to bed, I'll check this tommorow lol

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:33 PM
well ive seen videos on youtube of people feeding there snake in its cage with substrate but i will take your advice i will continue to feed him in a box
or tub

diamondlil
09-07-2007, 07:34 PM
At each section of this forum there are FAQs. Read them and you'll find how bad the petshop advice was.

susang
09-07-2007, 07:34 PM
im not giving him away ! i like him alot i took care of him for 4 months now!
about 2 months ago he just stoped eating.

Look some of us started out trying to help but you keep going in circles so you've had him four months he hasn't eaten for two, and you'll try bigger mice.
Temps in viv what are they at least do you have a warm and cool side, just answer this question.
We'll get to color and pics later.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:35 PM
well tommaro i am going to the pet shop to buy him some bigger mice.
and i will try to check his poop next time he poops.

susang
09-07-2007, 07:36 PM
well ive seen videos on youtube of people feeding there snake in its cage with substrate but i will take your advice i will continue to feed him in a box
or tub

You believe youtube they show pics of babies with cobras :bang: If you want to believe in something believe in the tooth fairy.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:36 PM
he has a light for his cage. his cage is always about 85 degrees F
he has a house for shelter from heat but no actual smots that are cool for him.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:37 PM
well idk it said it was a careing for corn snakes video.

susang
09-07-2007, 07:39 PM
What kind of light red, blue, white???? He needs a gradient temp (warm and cool side).
Water dish big enough for him to get in
Don't try to feed him again tomorrow, too soon.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:42 PM
he has a white light and his water dish is kinda big enough for him to get in.
he could get like half his body in his water dish .

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:42 PM
why is tommaro to soon to feed him he hasnt ate in 2 months

susang
09-07-2007, 07:43 PM
well idk it said it was a careing for corn snakes video.
like i said baby and cobra are you going to try that. Youtube is make believe it's not the real thing, the real way. read the stickie at the beginning of health and feeding issues. Get Kathy Love's book she has a real book about raising real corn snakes and she lives in Florida.

diamondlil
09-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Please read the 'feeding problems' FAQ

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:44 PM
ok. well why is tommaro to soon to feed him

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:45 PM
where can i find the feeding faqs on this site

susang
he has a white light and his water dish is kinda big enough for him to get in.
he could get like half his body in his water dish .
Corn snakes are creptesecular which means the come out at dawn and dusk, you have your snake in constant day light, get a red bulb, low wattage, as Florida is perfect temp for corn snakes in the wild. Not half his body his whole body in water.

diamondlil
Feeding Attempts Too Often Cause Stress And Make Refusal More Likely

susang
09-07-2007, 07:46 PM
why is tommaro to soon to feed him he hasnt ate in 2 months

Because you are stressing him with the constant attempts to feed. Get the temp regulated the light changed and give it 3-4 days to settle in and then attempt to feed.

Antimo
09-07-2007, 07:48 PM
ok thank youbut befor i can get him a bigger waterdish i got to get him a bigger cage because a bigger dish will take up to much space

susang
09-07-2007, 07:48 PM
where can i find the feeding faqs on this site

You started this thread in a sub-heading Health and Fedding Issues the very first thread is a stickie/FAQ read it.