PDA

View Full Version : Passed Food or regurge?

Passed Food or regurge?

Velvet
09-09-2007, 04:28 AM
Well, I had a delightful little "surprise" waiting for me when I checked on my babies first thing this morning.

I recently moved my three little ones onto really small fuzzies. This was their first fuzzy sized meal to date.

My little butter corn (ironically the biggest of the 3 little ones) either passed or regurged his fuzzy. It's been 3 days since they were fed.

The reason I am a bit confused it that although this item looks regurge-like, I think it may have just passed though. I found a fresh pooh RIGHt next to it and the end of the "regurge" closest to the pooh was black and looked more like pooh than a regurge. The item also smelled more like pooh and not like regurge at all.

My question is,is this a regurge or did it pass through with the pooh. If it passed through, should I I proceed with feeding him as usual (moving him back onto double pinks for a while) or should I proceed with usual regurge therapy as I would with a normal regurge, just to be safe? When do you think I should feed himagain? I usually wait at least 8 days after a regurge before feeding again. Should I wait this long in the case of a pass too?

thanks every one!!!

Nanci
09-09-2007, 08:43 AM
How long ago was his last meal? Do you slit your pinks? I have a regurger, and I've never found a regurge and a poo at the same time. If I were you, and my gut feeling was that it was a poo, I'd feed on the scheduled day, either two pinks or the very smallest fuzzy, and I'd slit it a _lot_ like six or eight slits rather than the usual four that I always do.

Nanci

Velvet
09-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Thanks Nanci, I am 99% sure it was a poo and not a regurge.

I'm sorry, why would I be slitting my prey? None of my babies has ever refused a meal or regurged...

Does slitting the prey help them digest it faster??

Nanci
09-10-2007, 07:23 AM
I tried to find the study. I _think_ it was Connie that did it, four groups of snakes, pinks either not cut, or cut one, two, or four times, something like that, and then charts that showed the growth rates. The group of snakes that ate the pinks with the most slits gained weight the fastest. (with the assumption being that the slit pinks are easier to digest)

I'll keep trying to find it- or maybe someone else will. It's really cool.

Nanci

Nanci
09-10-2007, 07:25 AM
http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44002&highlight=hippo

Velvet
09-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Thanks a mil Nanci! I will read through that and maybe give it a try!! :)

Luckily I'm not squeamish at all! lol

Nanci
09-10-2007, 08:17 AM
I just take a small scissors and snip four snips down the back. For my regurger, I do ten snips (and a dash of Nutribac on the tail!)

Nanci