PDA

View Full Version : Do you feed right after Blue or after shed?

Do you feed right after Blue or after shed?

CALIVIK
09-10-2007, 01:16 AM
I was curious to know. Both my guys are in blue & the last they ate was 6 days ago. I was going to feed them last night but noticed they both are in blue. So do I wait til they come out or do I wait til they shed. As I have heard some posters say their snakes will have a bad shed if they have eaten prior.

TIA

Will make this a poll so I can get a % feel free to give me tons of advice, since these guys are my first & I am SO new at this.

Plissken
09-10-2007, 02:28 AM
I'll sometimes feed if they're in blue. If they've cleared up from the blue and are within a day or two of shedding, I don't feed. Mostly I wait until they've finished shedding. My snakes invariably refuse food during a shed anyway.

Jrgh17
09-10-2007, 02:53 AM
It kind of depends on the snake, but mostly I feed on schedule. My BP gets very nervous when she can't see, and since she gets live prey, I don't feed until after she's shed. I don't feel comfortable giving her live when she can't see. On the other hand, my corn gets F/T and will happily eat without being able to see crap. In short, if I don't think the snake will eat while in blue, I won't bother until they shed.

pavlo
09-10-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm very new in this but my flake is blue for the second time with me, I will feed imediatly after he sheds because he, till today, always turns blue in the feeding day, so he gets real hungry by the time he sheds...

Nanci
09-10-2007, 07:09 AM
I stick with the schedule. If I know the snake is blue on feeding day, I don't feed. If I've already thawed out dinner, and surprise! the snake is blue, I'll offer it. Some eat, some don't. After they shed, they wait until the next scheduled day. Even though I only have seven, it would be too confusing to feed each on its own schedule. I just have a group of seven dayers, and a group of five dayers.

Sort of related: when the males are on springtime hunger strike I offer food on the scheduled day but have a back up snake ready to eat if the male is still refusing.

Nanci

Bluebird
09-10-2007, 08:03 AM
my son's anery eats whether he's blue or not :) He's a little oinker, and he's never refused food, even when blue. I simply offer food on the regular day of feeding. If I suspected he was actually going to shed on feeding day, then I would try to postpone the feed by a day.

mommyof2
09-10-2007, 08:56 AM
I attempt to feed on schedule. I offer Eddy a fuzzy even when he's in blue...he's only refused once. If he doesn't take the food at that time, I wait until he's completely done shedding to try again.

Matthew
09-10-2007, 10:06 AM
I pretty much stick to schedule.

Tootse and Duckey will eat whatever is put in front of them, whenever I put it in front of them. That includes pre-blue, blue, clear-before-shed, and post-shed.

Bech however, will not eat at all once she goes blue. She'll refuse food until after she's shed, so she'll typically miss 1-2 feedings.

It's pretty much all up to your snake(s) and I've found that both Tootse and Duckey shed better than Bech (I'm led to believe it's because they DO eat during blue, but I could be wrong).

ssmith_1187
09-10-2007, 10:22 AM
I feed on schedule regardless of whether Roxanne is in blue or not.

Fortunately for me she has even eaten when she is the bluest of blue.

Regards,
Steve

holly tayls
09-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Just last night by amel female (who was in blue and then cleared) ate. she ate 2 large pinkies and then ate the 2nd pinkie that was refused ny my Anery (I can never get her to eat more than one in a feeding) which made 3 for the Amel.
Woke up this morning to a complete perfect shed.

Ill tell you what she is an eating shedding machine

jazzgeek
09-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Too bad there's not a "depends on the snake" to vote on. That would've been my vote.

regards,
jazz

Corny Noob
09-10-2007, 11:09 AM
My snakes have yet to refuse in shed, so I always stick to the schedule.

Roy Munson
09-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Too bad there's not a "depends on the snake" to vote on. That would've been my vote.

Yeah, me too. I voted that I keep to schedule, and this is true for most of my snakes, but I don't bother to offer for some of my snakes if they're in blue. My Keys het Cinders, Bairdis, and one of my MBKs won't eat when they're anywhere near shed, so I don't bother.

From my observations, very young hatchling will sometimes regurge if they eat between going into blue and full blue. After they've cleared, even before the shed, they're fine.

tyflier
09-10-2007, 12:19 PM

regards,
jazz
Here, Here!

I voted "None of the above" because I let my snakes tell me. Some will eat regardless of the stage of blue and some refuse during different phases.

My Floridana doesn't let anything stop her from eating. Blue, deepest of the blues, clear, and immedately after shed...she doesn't let anything stop her. She does, however, occasionally have a rought shed. I won't attribute it to eating while blue, but I can't figure out why, for the life of me. Her temps and humidity are identical to every other king and corn in my collection, she has a water bowl big enough for swimming in, she has a rough surface item for aid in shedding, and she has multiple hides, but...she just has a hard time occasionally...not every shed, but a few.

My MBK and my Cali king won't eat during even the faintest early stages of going blue. Even before the eyes go cloudy, when there is a very faint "shimmer" over the skin, they'll refuse. However, the eat immediately following a shed, if food is offered, because they typically miss 2 feedings during the process. And I mean immediately, I have seen Luna(MBK) pull her tail tip free in the same motion as a strike at her prey. Quite funny, actually...

My boa doesn't care, my BP refuses if blue. My female anery motley doesn't care, my male anery motley refuses if blue, but not if clear-pre-shed, and always has a great shed...BOTH of them do.

So really...who knows? :shrugs:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again..."Let your snake be your guide"...

Roy Munson
09-10-2007, 01:55 PM
My Floridana doesn't let anything stop her from eating. Blue, deepest of the blues, clear, and immedately after shed...she doesn't let anything stop her. She does, however, occasionally have a rought shed. I won't attribute it to eating while blue, but I can't figure out why, for the life of me. Her temps and humidity are identical to every other king and corn in my collection, she has a water bowl big enough for swimming in, she has a rough surface item for aid in shedding, and she has multiple hides, but...she just has a hard time occasionally...not every shed, but a few.This is interesting to me because my Florida is the same way. She'd probably eat a cheeseburger if I let her-- she's an absolute garbage disposal. But she often sheds in pieces despite her conditions being proper. She always gets it all off herself, right down to the tail-tip, but I don't get many complete sheds from her. I don't worry about it much.

tsst
09-10-2007, 02:49 PM
I voted feed on schedule. I offer no matter what stage if he refuses, which so far he never has even during blue, I would wait until next scheduled feeding and offer prey.

tyflier
09-10-2007, 03:11 PM
This is interesting to me because my Florida is the same way. She'd probably eat a cheeseburger if I let her-- she's an absolute garbage disposal. But she often sheds in pieces despite her conditions being proper. She always gets it all off herself, right down to the tail-tip, but I don't get many complete sheds from her. I don't worry about it much.
I don't worry about it. I occasionally will have to help with a moistened washcloth, but hse usually gets it all herself...just in pieces. It does make me glad to know I am not the only one which has this "problem" with my floridana...even though it isn't really a problem. Heck, if it's the biggest problem we have together...we'll be just fine...;).

CaptBogart
09-10-2007, 04:15 PM
I have to agree with the "Depends on the snake" comments. I usually stick to my schedule, and every once in awhile I get a fresh shed the next day with the belly slit like that's where it gave way from the lump. Some will just refuse until they shed, which is no problem as I have plenty of garbage disposals up for an extra meal, and then I have a couple that will regurge if fed in blue, so I don't even offer to them... :D

Tinycritters
09-10-2007, 05:15 PM
i went with keep on schedual. Even if they are blue i still offer food, if they don't eat it no big deal. Just try again next schedual feeding. If the same one refuses every time its in blue then i wouldn't bother even trying. my amel appears to be one that won't eat during her blue stage, so not even gonna bother her next time.

so it's really a combination of knowing your snake and keeping on schedual.

Phoeb
09-10-2007, 05:20 PM
I usualy feed a couple of hours after the shed because he refuses to eat while in blue.

RossiButtersnowCorn
09-10-2007, 07:18 PM
I feed on schedule up until she doesn't pop her head out...if she hasn't got her head out at all on feeding night she is shedding so I leave her.

This has proved to work well as it doesn't disturb her.

I have fed once when she was blue and she didn't like it at all although she did take the food...I still leave it, that way she has something to look forward to :)

CALIVIK
09-11-2007, 03:46 AM
Thanks for all the replies, Dani is out of blue, welp so is Cindy. They both look so dull & should be shedding any time now. So I will wait then feed. I just want Dani to have a complete shed. He has had only one since we have had him (the other 2 have been in pieces) & I thought it was b/c I did not feed him during the blue stage & waited til after he shed. UGH can't remember! B/c he will eat while in blue. Shoot he will eat everyday if he could..lol
So tonight will be 8 days w/out food & if there is not a shed I guess I will give in. I don't want them to go hungry. I'd rather have them nice, fat & healthy. :)
I know I make this hard on myself, I'm such a worry wart! I am just happy I know what blue looks like now...hehe, last mth I was still questioning it...lol

OK any more tips throw them out at me, I will chk in tomorrow. I feed them at night. So that will give me some time to chk in to read up on your replies.

TA~

CALIVIK
09-11-2007, 04:51 PM
No shed....waaaaaaaaaaaaah...lol

Rorryy
09-12-2007, 02:26 AM
I voted "I don't do any of these". When I was a "newbe" I was very precise and kept careful record of all feedings/sheds/behavior etc. I still keep record of feeds & sheds, weight/length sometimes. I have relaxed a bit and so have the snakes. I feed them when they are active and appear hungry, usually aprx every 2 weeks. I never have a refusal and they are all well fed and fit. My corns are plenty robust and active. My finickier one (BP) is gaining weight and making progress. I keep their vivs clean and supplied with fresh water and adequate temps and they eat what they are given. So long story short, make sure your husbandry is in check and in my experience it won't matter when you feed. This is just my experience.

tom e
09-12-2007, 02:41 AM
I feed on schedule. Sometimes they eat it, sometimes they don't. Never had a problem with shedding cause a snake ate though.

CALIVIK
09-12-2007, 04:40 AM
Thanks you two for answering my question re shed/feeding. I went ahead & fed both last night...Its 1:30am & now they are happy, fat & color all faded..hehe

I bet they both shed w/in two days.

*I have laid back a lot since I started coming here. Its really not as hard as I have made it to be. My hubby teases me & says 'the snakes' get more attention than he does....lol OOOooops! :rolleyes:

CALIVIK
09-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Well Cindy had a shed waiting for me this morning & like always it was beautifully complete, now Dani's turn! Praying for a complete one!

Rorryy
09-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Excellent to hear about Cindy. How is Dani coming along?

CALIVIK
09-22-2007, 03:21 AM
He had a complete shed right after she did! I found his that night. It was just torn half way. So it was in 2 pieces. I just don't get it, why she always has wonderful sheds & his is broken. Except the one time I used this spray on him (I got from Petco). Maybe I should just go back to spraying him. They have the same set up re: their viv, just Dani is always dryer than her. :( So for me it does not matter if I fed on schedule or not it doesn't effect their shed. So I will keep them on their feeding schedule. :D

Cat_Eyed_Lady
09-22-2007, 03:27 AM
the spray they often sell... well, most ppl just spray the animal.. I used to use it on my burm when she was in blue... Very dry here in the winter time so she always had troubles in winter.... anyway.... instead of spraying it and it going all over... I would spray it on my hands and kind of use it like a moisterizer on her... That made things go much easier for her , maybe it would work on your little guy too?? Just spray some on your hands... doesnt take as much this way either... just a spray on each hand and let him put it on himself while he glides through your hands :)

CALIVIK
09-22-2007, 03:50 AM
TY, The spray was grt, now 2 unbroken sheds later, well I'm convinced it works..lol
I will do that. Never thought about it much using it while he is in blue & putting it on my hands. It does have a nice smell to it. I would also spray his viv too. For the humidity part. Thinking he needs more than her.
Wonder if I can make the spray at home? It cost $10 here to buy & last me one mth. It has aloe & coconut in it. Will have to chk the ingredients out.
Anyone? let me know...Thanks!

Cat_Eyed_Lady
09-22-2007, 03:53 AM
you can use regular water for spraying for the humidity part because that would evaporate faster :) Just use the spray for the snakes. Cheaper too :) Makes the hands nice and soft too hehe :) Mine loved it... was almost like a massage for her :D

Cat_Eyed_Lady
09-22-2007, 03:56 AM
as a little side note... by useing your hands.... its makes the spray warmer so it soaks in easier, that is another reason why it doesnt take much. When they are in blue the skin feels tight for them and the warm moist spray on your hands I am sure would feel good and doing it in blue would help the sheds come off easier for them and in usually one peice :)

Kilala
09-22-2007, 08:23 AM
My snakes both shed just fine when I feed them in blue. In fact, the only time darwin ever had a bad shed was when I didn't feed him on schedule because he was in blue, though it was just a piece of skin on the side of him (no retained eyecaps or tail tips) that fell off when I blew on it. I realize that it's probably a coincidence. However, Cornflakes has never had a bad shed, and my feeding schedule falls on her "blue days" very often.

I am by no means experienced. These are my only two snakes. I'm just giving my imput. :cheers:

sandybunny
09-22-2007, 08:34 AM
I just had my first shed with Cheerio, and he did eat on clear before shed day. It was his normal scheduled day.

MegF.
10-01-2007, 08:55 PM
I feed when they are due. If they take it fine, if they don't, fine. Most will eat even when in deep blue.

JustineNYC
10-01-2007, 09:15 PM
I feed when they are due. If they take it fine, if they don't, fine. Most will eat even when in deep blue.

Thats what I do.....I have all but one who doesnt eat in blue, but I offer anyway. When she doesnt take it, someone else gets a treat.

ratsncorns
10-01-2007, 10:31 PM
I just hate to waste food and my snakes are 50/50 as to if they will eat while in blue. So I just skip feeding them for that week, its not like they are starving lol.

MegF.
10-02-2007, 05:13 AM
Very true. Many of mine are only fed once every 2 weeks or so. If I wait any longer, they are ready to take my arm off if I go in the cages!

Eremita
10-02-2007, 08:47 AM
I feed on schedule up until she doesn't pop her head out...if she hasn't got her head out at all on feeding night she is shedding so I leave her.

This has proved to work well as it doesn't disturb her.
(...)
Same thing here. If he's not even looking for food, I presume he is not hungry and I don't feed him. Whenever he sheds, I feed him that day and start a new schedule based on that. It is a luxury I can easily afford with one snake.

-Sean