PDA

View Full Version : Would you say its normal for.....

Would you say its normal for.....

Noel_Gallagher
04-23-2003, 01:36 PM
Ive noticed a lot of threads this time of year on other forums about yearling/juvenile corns (mainly male) who loose their appetite at this time of year. Obviously I would think this is due to most of them looking for females to breed with but...even males that have fed REALLY well all through previous breeding seasons suddenly stop. Is this normal behaviour if everything else seems fine with the corn?

bmm
04-23-2003, 03:09 PM
Yes.

The many threads on this subject do get annoying. Only because with some quick research on colubrids, and corns wild habits one can see non feeding at this time of the year is natural.

Corns, kings and some other snakes want to breed instead of eat this time of year. So no matter how many people ask, no matter how many mice and rats they brain, cut, give live or dead, it won't matter because tis the season for breeding! And if its not breeding they are looking for, its brumating although thats a bit earlier than this time of the year, its still a reason for a corn to "slow down"

And if your snake is perfectly fine otherwise, it doesn't matter why or when they stop eating. Snakes can go so long without food that normally keepers are worrying *months* before they need too.

Not to mention most people severly over fed their adults in the first place. :) Juvis and hatchlings can easily be restarted feeding with a bit warmer temps, sccented anoles or sometimes they just plain don't wanna eat!!! :)

bmm

lynn
04-23-2003, 03:14 PM
not only male's, my female hadn't eaten for six week's, she did have a resp infection, which has cleared and now the vet think's she has developing egg's in her. She hasn't been mated, so obviously they will be infertile.

clumsly
06-24-2003, 01:32 AM
one of my males was mating which is separated now and threw his lil maitng time he ate like a monster. he had never refused a meal for me in the 2 years i had him not eving during a shed.