PDA

View Full Version : shredded but no skin left?!? please help

shredded but no skin left?!? please help

LittleL
09-20-2007, 04:30 AM
Hi All,

Bit of a strange one this, but my corn snake went blue so i knew he was going to shred so i left him to it.. A few days later i checked on him and noticed he had shredded (not blue anymore, skin brighter and softer etc) but i looked all around his tank and couldn't find any skin left over from the shred?!

Everytime Flick shreds, he ALWAY shred's in one complete piece and its usually hanging nicely on his fake vines, but this time i checked all through the aspen, under his hides, in the fake vines.. everywhere basically and found no skin whatsoever... i was even looking closely for 'bits' of skin incase he didn't do a comeplete shred, but still nothing.

Im really confused and just wondered if any of you guys had an idea or thought on the matter?

Strange and silly questions, but thought i'd ask and double check as a newbie... 'snakes dont eat there skin do they'?! just thought that may answer 'the missing skin question'!

Thanx
Laura x

CornNoobie
09-20-2007, 06:15 AM
How long was it from when he went into blue to when you checked the tank? Dont forget their eyes do clear up for a couple of days before the shed, so there is a chance your corn will be shedding very soon.

Velvet
09-20-2007, 06:19 AM
Hi There,

What you are discribing sounds like the normal shedding process before they shed. A day or two (sometimes longer) before they shed, they lose the "blue" look. My normal especially does this every shed, his eyes are no longer "blue" (due to eye-caps being loosened I believe) and he looks bright.

Give her a few days, she'll shed. :)

LittleL
09-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Ohh right, interesting!!

Many thanks for that, i'll leave him be for a few more days then.

Cheers
Laura x

Drewby07
09-20-2007, 10:01 AM
And FYI, the term is SHED not SHRED..... :sidestep:

Twizzy
09-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Laura
Don't feel bad the samething happened to me a few years ago with my amel..she went blue and then looked I was positive like she had shed..But almost a week later we finally found she had shed..Isnt the shedding process just amazing..I love when we find a brand new shed that is still moist it is such a neat aspect of snakes:) Good Luck!!

LittleL
09-20-2007, 10:40 AM
thanks for the advice everyone.. and sorry, shed not shred! cleary a newbie! they say you learn something new everyday!

Laura x