PDA

View Full Version : F"ING crickets!!!

F"ING crickets!!!

theklaw
09-24-2007, 12:39 AM
so awhile ago i posted about a friend feeding his corns crickets. we talked and he agreed to switch to pinkies. well i went over to his house the other day and the snakes are GORGEOUS!! healthy active growing like weeds big enough for fuzzies!! i smile and say those pinkies helped huh? to which he responds actually they wouldnt eat the pinkies so i kept feeding them CRICKETS :sidestep: i didnt even know what to say i mention it was not a heathly diet and he couldnt possibly feed an adult corn crickets!! and he said yeah i guess when they get bigger ill try live mice...... i dont understand how those snakes look so good on this terrible diet that can kill other corns.. it boggles my mind.

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
09-24-2007, 01:07 AM
I'd like to see pictures of these corns...Weird.

theklaw
09-24-2007, 05:05 PM
that was the first time i had ever been to his house, i say friend but its more of a friend of a friend thing. but if i ever end up over there again ill take pics. they look like typical 6-7 monthers. an amel and snow, the amel is kinda ugly haha but the snow looks like a regular snow but with covered in lace! very very very very cool!!

HaisseM
09-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Is it dangerous to feed corns crickets? I would be curious about this since I have a 2 day old corn and wouldn't mind trying a new feeding habit since i'll be keeping this one at work and people will freak if i bring mice in (like they won't freak when I bring in the snake)

Sanebedlam
09-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Is it dangerous to feed corns crickets? I would be curious about this since I have a 2 day old corn and wouldn't mind trying a new feeding habit since i'll be keeping this one at work and people will freak if i bring mice in (like they won't freak when I bring in the snake)

Corns aren't insectivores they eat mice and small lizards such as anole's

Crowskin
09-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah I'd be seriously worried about the longterm effects.. I mean.. cornsnakes are ratsnakes for a reason. I don't think the poor snakes would be getting all the good stuffs that a warm little mousie would offer them.. (I'm not even completely sure about the 'chick' and quail diet myself, but I figure them much better then insects..)

Anyway.. I suppose it goes to show you that people will do whats 'easier' sometimes then whats for the best of the animal. *shrugs soft* (not meant as a generalization. Just an observation at some of the pet owning community :) )

-Crow

Cat_Eyed_Lady
09-24-2007, 11:48 PM
well, corns cant really digest the exoskeleton of crickets... so unless your willing to Peel crickets... mice or rats is the way to go :)

Twizzy
09-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Aww those poor snakes..The crix must drive them crazy too!! Poor things but it never fails it is just like the mom that puts her kids in warm clothes so they dont catch a cold and they get sick but the neighbors kids are out with nothing barely on and healthy as a horse..UGH!!

But in this case I'm sure it will have long tern effects on the snakes:( Hopefully you can talk some sense into your friend..Good Luck!!!!

Msterry
09-25-2007, 12:07 AM
I have been told garter snakes will eat crickets but wow not corn snakes.

I know for baby beardies crickets are one of, if not the best foods.The thing is even with the beardies you need to dust with calcium 5 times a week and two times aweek with vitamins and supplements... A cricket has like 77.58 % moisture, 15.88 % protien, 3.46 % fat and 2.4% fiber. A young cricket has the best protien in it but that % drops to about 1/2 that or less when the cricket is older and bigger. The exoskelton is much harder as they age too.
Id really worry about long term health with feeding em crickets. There natural prey are mice, rats and anoles. Id stick with that as its been proven to work. Just my thoughts....

Jrgh17
09-25-2007, 01:38 AM
well, corns cant really digest the exoskeleton of crickets... so unless your willing to Peel crickets... mice or rats is the way to go :)

Thank you for that lovely image. I'm going to go hurl now. ;)