PDA

View Full Version : Ate his pinkie, but the "wrong way"!

Ate his pinkie, but the "wrong way"!

Hydroxy
09-24-2007, 06:15 AM
Hi,

I've heard that you're supposed to feed your snake the f/t pinkies nose to nose.
I fed my 1 mnth Corn, Kex, yesterday(his second feed with me) and as last time he chomped it down. I feed him 1 pinkie every 5 days, and he hasn't shed yet with me or regurged, although he seems a happy snake.
But yesterdays feed, although he ate it, he ate the pinkie "the wrong way 'round". Rather than eating it nose to nose, he slithered around the pinkie and ate it butt first.
I was just wondering if that's going to be a problem for my little guy or if it doesn't really matter which way round he eats his pinkie?
I was just a bit worried as it seemed to take him a little longer to get it down than his first feed (which was eat the correct way round). I may just be over reacting a bit, but I really want to be a good mommy to little Kex :)
TIA,
Linda

Susan
09-24-2007, 06:38 AM
Don't worry! Many of us have "butt-munchers". It's perfectly normal!

MerlinsPop
09-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Pinkies are more or less like little sausages with feet and a wee tail (often broken off anyway). Not a whole lot of difference. Bigger mice become more and more like pears, with the nose end being the obvious 'starting point' for consumption.

Or maybe your snake is a "butt man." :)

CornNoobie
09-24-2007, 10:02 AM

Nomination for quote of the week??!!

Bluebird
09-24-2007, 10:12 AM
I fed my little guy on Sat, and just as he was getting the last bit down, I noticed that the bum was bulging on the pinkie :eek1: .... well, sure enough, he popped the pinkie :-puke01: YUK! It was not a pretty sight hanging from his mouth :eek1:

If he does it again, I may have to call him Popper ..lol

Hydroxy
09-24-2007, 10:15 AM
OK, so basically I only need to worry if he does it with the bigger feed?
Heh, Kex is my first snake, and I am desperate to do everything right, I might just be "over mothering" gim, lol.

:-offtopic BTW, How often are they supposed to shed? Kex has been with me and my fiance for just over a week now, and the breeder we got him from didn't say anything about when he last shed (if he ever has).
She also said that he is an Amel het Snow, but someone told me that there is no such thing... so what is he? lol

Thanks for dealing with me and my first time jitters :cheers:

:wavey: ,
Linda

jazzgeek
09-24-2007, 11:05 AM
OK, so basically I only need to worry if he does it with the bigger feed?You won't need to worry about it at all. Even when butt-munching, they'll be fine. It's all about the size of the food offered, more than anything.

And yeah, butt-munching is quite common (http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52969) for juveniles.

Heh, Kex is my first snake, and I am desperate to do everything right, I might just be "over mothering" gim, lol.

:-offtopic BTW, How often are they supposed to shed? Kex has been with me and my fiance for just over a week now, and the breeder we got him from didn't say anything about when he last shed (if he ever has).
She also said that he is an Amel het Snow, but someone told me that there is no such thing... so what is he? lol[quote]
In their youth, and given that they're fed consistently, they'll shed approximately every 4 to 6 weeks, with the frequency declining as they get older and larger.

An "Amel het Snow" is more commonly referred to as an "Amel het Anery".

A "snow" is a double-recessive combination of Amelanistic and Anerythristic.
[quote]Thanks for dealing with me and my first time jitters :cheers:No problem; be sure to read the FAQs regarding care and genetics, they'll probably answer any "follow-up" questions you may have.

regards,
jazz

jazzgeek
09-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Sorry about the lousy formatting in the prior message......we now return you to your regular thread...... :)

OK, so basically I only need to worry if he does it with the bigger feed?You won't need to worry about it at all. Even when butt-munching, they'll be fine. It's all about the size of the food offered, more than anything.

And yeah, butt-munching is quite common (http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52969) for juveniles.

She also said that he is an Amel het Snow, but someone told me that there is no such thing... so what is he? lolIn their youth, and given that they're fed consistently, they'll shed approximately every 4 to 6 weeks, with the frequency declining as they get older and larger.

An "Amel het Snow" is more commonly referred to as an "Amel het Anery".

A "snow" is a double-recessive combination of Amelanistic and Anerythristic.
Thanks for dealing with me and my first time jitters :cheers:No problem; be sure to read the FAQs regarding care and genetics, they'll probably answer any "follow-up" questions you may have.

regards,
jazz

counterculture
09-24-2007, 12:42 PM
they seem to make it up as they go along, my girl always, always tries to eat the pinkie belly first, at first i thought it was her just moving the pinkie around to suit herself, but she is properly latching on and attempting to eat it sideways, it takes a few minutes of offer before you see the penny drop and she moves round a bit.

counterculture
09-24-2007, 12:44 PM
offer was suppoed to say effort.

sandybunny
09-24-2007, 01:05 PM

:roflmao: :roflmao: I am laughing so hard! I love it.

nlove_3000
09-25-2007, 12:42 PM
I have two yearlings that two this day I've only seen them take prey head first ONCE. As mentioned before I assume they'll figure it out when they get to larger prey...but they just like going at it from the back end.

MerlinsPop
09-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Maybe they're sensitive and don't want to risk making eye contact. "Sorry dude, but I gotta eats!"

wax32
09-25-2007, 06:18 PM
I once had a young boa pass out in it's water bowl with a mouse backwards halfway down. I thought I killed the poor snake! I pulled the mouse out and the snake's jaws stayed all stretched out for about an hour until he finally got it together. From then on I never left the room while he ate.

Thoth
09-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Buttmunchers and wet hides... that's what I miss out on while I'm at work!? Damn grown-up jobs!!!

Hydroxy
09-27-2007, 05:23 AM
slightly off topic.

when Kex eats his pinkie, it no longer leaves a bulge on him, so I'm guessing that it might be time for him to move up to two pinkies... But I don't know how much he weighs.
What can I use to weigh him, some kitchen scales?

Snake Dave
09-27-2007, 08:50 AM
slightly off topic.

when Kex eats his pinkie, it no longer leaves a bulge on him, so I'm guessing that it might be time for him to move up to two pinkies... But I don't know how much he weighs.
What can I use to weigh him, some kitchen scales?

Do you have a digital set? Because the standard ones may not be accurate enough as they weigh so little. If you don't; then you can pick a pair up from Argos for like £12, and they're accurate to the gram, which is what you need. :)

If you search 'Munson Plan' on the search engine, and click on the sticky, there is a really weight-to-prey feeding chart.

All the best

David

P.S. My little amel's a butt-muncher as well, no worries. :)

Snake Dave
09-27-2007, 08:51 AM
That meant to say really good*.

Hydroxy
09-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Do you have a digital set? Because the standard ones may not be accurate enough as they weigh so little. If you don't; then you can pick a pair up from Argos for like £12, and they're accurate to the gram, which is what you need. :)

If you search 'Munson Plan' on the search engine, and click on the sticky, there is a really weight-to-prey feeding chart.

All the best

David

P.S. My little amel's a butt-muncher as well, no worries. :)

Thanks David,

I have the Munson Plan printed out and stuck to the corkboard in the kitchen :crazy02:
I will have a look at Argos for some digital scales.
But I think it is definately time to move him to two pinkies, he was fed Sunday evening, and already yesterday he was actively searching for food.
Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Linda

Snake Dave
09-27-2007, 11:51 AM
No problem, glad to be of help. :)

beaniebopps
09-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Jake is quite often a butt muncher too, (I think the phrase butt muncher is going to stick from now on Susan!) except its even funnier with him because he gets weaner rats, which have a definate difference because the butt is much fatter than the head, and the tail is at least 4 inches long!