PDA

View Full Version : Feeding problem, Please help

Feeding problem, Please help

willameesh
09-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi all,

I have had my snake, Strider, for over 4 yrs now and had no probs since some regurge issues a few years ago. But the last 3 feeds have been difficult. I've not experienced this behaviour in my others snakes either before.

Ok, The last time he fed he only took one mouse instead of his usual 2. I thought fine, just not hungry.
The next feed he didn't eat and did what I can onlt describe as runny poo in his feeding tub! It was pretty gross. I got him out, chucked the mice and left him to it. He has been really active this week and thought I'd try him with one mouse. I observed him start to feed so relieved I carried on pottering about. about 5 mins later I went to check and he has obviously decided he didn't want it and stopped feeding. He seemed to be looking for a way out, the next thing I knew he's done a runny poo again. I got him out, cleaned him up and put him back in the viv!

Needless to say I'm really worried.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thank you!

Nanci
09-24-2007, 04:39 PM
My male corn does the springtime feeding strike _very_ late in the year. He just started about three weeks ago. Really active, seems normal, just won't eat. You should get a weight on your snake now, and watch him to see if he's losing weight. When Maizey is on hunger strike, I only offer every ten days. Do you have other snakes that eat the same size prey? It's nice when you have a hunger striking snake if you have a back up snake to eat the refused prey- then it isn't wasteful. All my male snakes hunger strike. Zee is two, he went three months starting in June, then picked up as if he'd never refused a meal. Jake is three- he only went about a month. He was also back in June.

Parasites like worms can cause anorexia, too, though, so it wouldn't hurt to have a vet do a fecal next time you can save a poo.

Nanci

willameesh
09-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Hi Nanci,

Yeah I have 3 other snakes who are all eating fine. I'll see if he will sit still enough and weigh him though, thanks for the advice. I will try him again in around ten days as you suggested. I just hope he does eat then!

Thanks!

Sanebedlam
09-25-2007, 11:17 PM
he doesn't really need to sit still. Just find a container that is light but large enough to hold him. Weigh it without him then put him in the container. Subtract the containers weight and you are good to go :-D

willameesh
09-30-2007, 04:55 PM
he doesn't really need to sit still. Just find a container that is light but large enough to hold him. Weigh it without him then put him in the container. Subtract the containers weight and you are good to go :-D

Ah ha - good idea!

He still won't eat guys! Calling the vet tomorrow. He starts to eat it and then decides he doesn't want it any more! It's making me real sad now!

Msterry
10-01-2007, 02:04 AM
I sure hope you find a answer at the vets and all is good.
The only time i had one of mine back off after starting and i think she had a brain fart. It was'nt any larger then she had been eating. I then gave her a bit smaller next time and she ate it.
Is it possible the feed container has a oder in it your snake does not like? Just a thought as plastic can get a smell after a while i think.
Once again i hope its good news at the vet....