PDA

View Full Version : "hole" in dome head

"hole" in dome head

Annabelle
09-25-2007, 12:10 PM
My little female "Lola" has a hole in her head. She is dome headed, but besides getting her to eat originally she is healthy. Two days ago i noticed a hole the size of a pin head where her frontal and parietal scales meet. She seems fine; exploring, eating, shedding. Has any one herd of this. I assume it is relieving pressure. :shrugs:
Annabelle

PtDnsr
09-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Pictures would be great. Other than that we can only guess which won't do you much good.

~Katie

Annabelle
09-26-2007, 10:18 AM
I don't know how to enter pictures, though I do have them.

Yvonne112
09-26-2007, 12:27 PM
when you post your reply....scroll down before you 'submit reply', you'll see something that says manage attachments...click on it, and it should be pretty easy from there. Good luck with both the pictures, and your snake. I hope it's nothing that won't fix itself.

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
09-26-2007, 05:15 PM
I have no clue what it might be. Good luck with the pictures and your little snakie!

Annabelle
09-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the Help! :)

Annabelle
09-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Here is the side view.

Spartan66
09-27-2007, 05:49 PM
No clue what it's from, maybe the two scales didn't form correctly. If the snake is healthy and behaving normally I would'nt worry about it too much. Of course I am by no means an expert and that's my opinion. By the way, pretty little snake ! :)

Annabelle
09-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Not forming correctly couldn't be it because she is 3mo. old, and this just showed up. Eight days have gone by and it is still there.
Thanks for trying to help. I can't believe no one has ever seen this before, it makes it kind of scarier.
Annabelle

Spartan66
09-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Well, what I meant was not forming correctly as far as the snakes development inside the egg. I still think it is little to worry about. :)

Spartan66
09-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Ah, just re-read the post....sorry, don't know how I missed where you said this just showed up. If it just showed up I really have no clue what it could be. Is there anything that could possibly be sharp inside the enclosure? maybe it injured itself trying to get out or something. Anyway, like I said...If the snake is behaving normally and there is no blood or anything coming from the hole I wouldnt worry too much. Wish I could be of more help. good luck.

Eremita
09-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, I think a hole is a bad sign. I haven't seen a lot of posts about domed heads (and none previously about holes in the head), although some folks have said that they can recede over time. I do know one of our cats got a hole in her paw due to an extra toe causing pressure on a tender area when she was active. We ended up having to have the toe removed. Holes provide an opportunity for infection in any place where they weren't designed into the creature.

Can you take her to a vet? I imagine something you will hear (and may already feel) is that a deformed hatchling is going to have a poorer chance of survival anyway, but if you are hoping that she will grow up, I think it would be best to have it checked out.

-Sean

MegF.
09-30-2007, 08:36 AM
It's either an injury (I had one snake that ended up with a damaged scale on her head from who knows what) or it's a birth defect that is now developing as the snake grows larger. It's possible that the skull being mis-shaped is now not meeting properly as the snake is getting bigger. It's also entirely possible that she just banged it on something and that it will heal up. My snake's injury disappeared after a couple of sheds. You'll just have to see.

Annabelle
09-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the support. I think as long as she is active, eating, shedding ect. I will keep an eye on her. If she starts acting wierd we'll go to the vet. sence the hole appeared she seems more active.
I can not find anything sharp in her tank, but I will keep looking for that as well.
The hole looks so deep, I'm supprised it hasn't caused problems. I looked at her last shed. It happened right before the hole appeared. You can see were it was under the old skin, yet it was not an open hole.?. :shrugs:
I'll post if there is future progress, or if it goes bad. :cry:
thanks,
Annabelle

MegF.
09-30-2007, 05:39 PM
We'd love to see any progressions

Twizzy
09-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Aww..good luck with your little snake it is a really cutie! I will keep my fingers crossed that all goes well..Just maybe it is similar to a babies skull and will close up as it grows :shrugs: Good luck!!!