PDA

View Full Version : New snow not eating!

New snow not eating!

Cuddles
09-28-2007, 10:36 AM
So I picked up another corn snake and have them sitting in the same tank as my other snake Nibbs now, they love each other :sidestep:

Ok now that I have your attention, I dont have them cohab'd. I recentally picked up this snow corn and tried to feed him a few days after I got him. He was reluctant to eat until I closed the box he was in and threw in a hiding place for him. Then maybe a day, if that, later he regurged. I think my temps were off and that could be the cause. I tried again to feed him 5-6 days later, and he was not the least bit interested. I feed him F/T pinkies and slice into the back of their necks for easier digesting and stronger scent for the snake. I guess I have not expeirenced a picky eater and now this is what I have. Any ideas on how I can get him eating? Thanks.

Flagg
09-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Using deceit and subterfuge to get attention is not necessary.

Anyway, as for the regurge, read the regurge FAQs here on the forum. You need to allow 8-10 days after a regurge before feeding again or they will just regurge again. A regurge is serious and they need time to recover and replenish digestive chemicals.

tyler1310
09-29-2007, 10:26 AM
you should go get a live pinkey thats what i feed my snake live pinkeys can't even hurt your snake :flames: "but fuzzys can" :twoguns:

tyler1310
09-29-2007, 10:28 AM
you should go get a :twoguns: live pinkey thats what i feed my snake live pinkeys can't even hurt your snake :grabbit: "but fuzzys can"

bitsy
09-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Live feeding is only a last resort after the other tricks have been tried and failed. Pinkies can't hurt a Corn, but what if your Corn then gets used to live food and refuses defrosted or fresh-killed fuzzies? You don't really want to end up with an adult Corn that insists on eating live.

Agree with Flagg. The priority is getting him ready to eat after a regurge.

NFS07
09-29-2007, 08:52 PM
In the mean time try to get the temps right.

NFS07
09-29-2007, 08:53 PM
you should go get a live pinkey thats what i feed my snake live pinkeys can't even hurt your snake :flames: "but fuzzys can" :twoguns:

Don't feed live. Your snake took the food so you are fine just wait and try again.

Cuddles
10-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Cool, hopefully next time he will eat!

Nanci
10-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Is there any reason he shouldn't be eating a normal-sized pink? Are his temps right?

I would do the regurge protocol- wait eight-ten days, give Nutribac in his water, then feed just a pinky head or the very, very tiniest pink you can find.

Since he's reluctant, I'd put him in either a covered deli cup or in a paper bag, but in his viv where he'll stay warm.

Lots of my guys prefer to eat when they are covered up- maybe it keeps them from being distracted, maybe they just like privacy.

I disagree that if you have to feed him live pinks to get him going that you won't be able to get him off them later. I have two snakes that I know were fed only live before I got them, one at three months of age and one an adult, that took FT from me on the first attempt and from then on. Especially with pinks- I just don't think there's a huge difference. If it means your baby gets a good feeding response going quickly, and gives him a chance to gain weight, I wouldn't waste time going through the whole catalog of possible scenting solutions. I say this because you already have the regurging problem going- you need to get meals down.

So I'd try one meal of pinky head, then try a piping hot slit FT, and if he doesn't go for that, then on the next attempt I don't think the sky will fall if you try a live pink.

Nanci

Velvet
10-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Pinkies can't hurt a Corn, but what if your Corn then gets used to live food and refuses defrosted or fresh-killed fuzzies? You don't really want to end up with an adult Corn that insists on eating live.

Yeah, ask me! lol My big boy is an increbily fussy feeder!!! He is just impossible sometimes, I really dread feeding him and I can't tell you how many f/t mice I have thrown away! Though he does eat them sometime...MOST of the time! lol

Cuddles
10-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Got another regurge! His temp is 81 on the hot side. What the is going on here?!

CornNoobie
10-09-2007, 03:44 PM
what did you feed him?

Cuddles
10-09-2007, 03:46 PM
what did you feed him?
A F/T Pinkie.

ssmith_1187
10-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Cuddles,

How long did you wait after the first regurge to try again?

How many days after you most recently fed him did he regurge?

How small (weight wise) was the pinkie that you offered?

You say your warm side temperature is 81 degrees, where are you measuring that temperature at (top of the substrate or "on the glass")?

Regards,
Steve

Cuddles
10-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Cuddles,

How long did you wait after the first regurge to try again?

How many days after you most recently fed him did he regurge?

How small (weight wise) was the pinkie that you offered?

You say your warm side temperature is 81 degrees, where are you measuring that temperature at (top of the substrate or "on the glass")?

Regards,
Steve

6-7 days
Probably 1 day if not the same day. I didnt monitor it because he took it down and I figured it was all good.
Not sure of the weight, its about the same size as the biggest part of his body.
Thats on the glass.

Thanks for the questions, hope to get some help!

ssmith_1187
10-10-2007, 08:35 AM
6-7 days

I would wait a 10 full days before trying again. It takes a while for the stomach flora to reestablish itself and 6-7 days is cutting it a little close. Waiting 3-4 more days will be more beneficial than harmful to your snake.

Probably 1 day if not the same day. I didnt monitor it because he took it down and I figured it was all good.

You can get regurges 3-4 days after all seems well. Regurges should be monitored closely and this is where good record keeping comes in handy.

Not sure of the weight, its about the same size as the biggest part of his body.

I would invest in a good gram scale (it doesn't have to be as fancy schmancy as this one, but something similiar, Gram Scale (http://www.beanfarm.com/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=4952136.21151&product=Incubation&user4=Scales)), not only to weigh your prey items but your snake as well. It's a good tool to have on hand to record the progress of your snake.

Thats on the glass.

81 on the glass probably translates to 76-79 degrees on top of the substrate. That depends on how much substrate you have in your enclosure.

I run mine at 88 degrees on the glass, giving me a temperature of 83-85 degrees on top of the substrate. While 88 might seem high, it certainly won't burn Roxanne should she burrow under the substrate. Corn snake digestion benefits from belly heat and personally I would bump up your warm side temperature a bit. I believe it's better to be too warm (not hot) than not warm enough. Your snake can always cool down on the cool side of your enclosure should they need to.

Regards,
Steve

Cuddles
10-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Awesome! I thought that the Aspen would transfer heat much more than what you have stated. I didnt know for 88 that you would get an average of 84 degrees on the subsrtate. I have only about an inch or so of substrate in the tank. Ill be waiting for 10 days now and try again, crank up the heat, and eventually get a scale. I was using my brothers ever since I had my other corn, I just recently moved out and have not completly settled in. Thanks again, hopefull I can get him eating and well on the way to becoming a 300+ gram snake. :crazy02:

ssmith_1187
10-10-2007, 08:43 AM
I thought that the Aspen would transfer heat much more than what you have stated.

It's wood...it doesn't conduct heat really well. Chop it up and add dead air spaces between the pieces and it becomes an insulator. :)

The key to successfully treating regurges is patience. Don't wig out and remember slow and steady will win the race.

Regards,
Steve