PDA

View Full Version : antibiotics

antibiotics

lynn
04-27-2003, 11:15 AM
can antibiotics cause runny poop's? I think there was a post further back about it but I cannot find it. She has not long been finished her antibiotic's a total of five injection's, and has just started feeding again and it is her first poop in six week's. (Didn't feed for six week's) it was dark green runny with a few bit's of solid. So I'm not sure if it is the antibiotic's, just feeding again or something else. Should I wait and see what her next poop is like or get her back to the vet?

CowBoyWay
04-27-2003, 11:49 AM
Antibiotics kill the good intestinal "flora" along with the bad.
By introducing "good bacteria to its digestive tract, it may help "normalize" things. That is what I would do personally. imho. :)

I'm not going to advise you not to go to the vet. Thats your call...do what you think you should. :) I may be off base here, and don't know it, but probitics should help, and they certainly will not hurt your patient.

Dip a mouse butt into the powder and feed as usual.
Also, can be added to water too, initially, to help assure that the
"innoculation" of good bacteria to the Corns intestinal tract, will very rapidly establish itself.
Transfer powder into say a small pill bottle in smallish amounts to use as a dipping container, as to not cross contaminate with mouse butt bacteria , ones main "stash" of probiotic powder.
Keep it clean, kids. ;~)

There are some alarmists that may tell you to leave now and run the red lights to get to the vets, I would stop for the lights at least, at this point. ;)

Two quality popular reptile specific pro-bacteria products I'm familar with are NutriBAC DF and Bene Bac.

"Hope it all works out in the wash" for your Corn. ;)

I also believe in vitamin/amino acid, calcium D3 supplementation for Corn Snakes, but thats another post.
imho.

lynn
04-27-2003, 05:26 PM
Thank's cowboyway, Is Nutrabac something that has just come out or will I be able to get it at any reptile shop. I cannot get it from the net because I don't have a credit card. I also live in the uk.

13mur 6
04-28-2003, 01:58 PM
My snake had something similar to what your snake had lynn (maybe a bit worse, she was passing partially undigested mouse). I used human Acidophillus supplements to fix the problem. I bought the capsules and broke them open to get to the powder inside and just dipped the rear end of the mouse in it like Cowboyway said. I forget the brandname, but I got which ever supplement that didn't have much added and was most entirely just acidophillus. Was cheap too, maybe around 8 dollars US.

-13mur 6

lynn
05-13-2003, 04:32 PM
Thank's, her last poop had more solid in it so I think it must be getting better, but she is off her food again because she is getting ready to shed, just when she was starting to eat again. Aw well, see how she go's.