PDA

View Full Version : help please

help please

cornsnake240
09-29-2007, 11:52 AM
hay ok I got 3 yrd. old snake and she has been so great, no real problems feeding, biting, constricting or anything up until now. tues I went to change the beeding to "desert snow" have a friend that says it's great, and luck for me it was feeding day too so I picked up both at the pet store. I cleaned out the tank first and then let her roam around for a little bit then an hour or so later I released the mouse. usually shell get it within 10 mins or so. but nothing, I called a friend or 2 and they have pythons (I know different but was thinking same feeding rules) they sometimes don't attack for up to 3 days later so I didn't think anything about it. about 2 days ago she showed signs that she was about to shed. is there anything wrong???

thanks
Chris

ps. can someone tell me what blue means... is it the time from when the snake starts to shed untill it does??

beaniebopps
09-29-2007, 12:29 PM
hay ok I got 3 yrd. old snake and she has been so great, no real problems feeding, biting, constricting or anything up until now. tues I went to change the beeding to "desert snow" have a friend that says it's great, and luck for me it was feeding day too so I picked up both at the pet store. I cleaned out the tank first and then let her roam around for a little bit then an hour or so later I released the mouse. usually shell get it within 10 mins or so. but nothing, I called a friend or 2 and they have pythons (I know different but was thinking same feeding rules) they sometimes don't attack for up to 3 days later so I didn't think anything about it. about 2 days ago she showed signs that she was about to shed. is there anything wrong???

thanks
Chris

ps. can someone tell me what blue means... is it the time from when the snake starts to shed untill it does??

You could learn alot from typing things into the search function on here... Firstly, are you feeding her in the tank? Because you should never do this anyway -you should always move into a seperate container to feed as the snake could ingest some subsrate otherwise. Secondly, I assumed you were feeding live mice by the 'released' word - there is no need to feed live mice to corns apart from under extreme circumstances with fussy eaters. If it is live, you should NEVER leave live prey in with a snake that shows no interest. The mouse could cause alot of harm to the snake. The last thing is your query about 'blue.' This refers to the time that snake starts to look dull in colour and get blue cloudy eyes, usually a few days before a shed.

I wouldn't worry about your snake not eating, alot of snakes will refuse food before shedding. But if you are feeding in its tank you need to stop doing that. And never leave live food in with the snake. Try feeding again a couple days after the snake sheds (if it is infact about to shed) in a seperate box, and try using a thawed out frozen mouse rather than a live.

MegF.
09-30-2007, 08:32 AM
You can kill the mouse and freeze it until after your snake sheds. As suggested, feed in a seperate container. A simple cardboard box would be sufficient. I would suggest not feeding live if possible because serious injury can occur. Losing an eye or having a nostril or two damaged from a mouse or rat is not something you want-especially when there's no need. Most corns readily take frozen thawed mice and rats.