PDA

View Full Version : Another Feeding Question

Another Feeding Question

River Hill
10-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I picked up two corns on 9/15 at a reptile show in MD. I really did not know much and I am glad a found this forum. It was a on the fly purchase. The corn's are about 15" long and even though the breeder told me I could keep them in the same viv, I did not after reading this forum.

The problem is I can't get either of them to eat and I am getting concerned. I was told they were feeding on pinks. So I bought some frozen and warmed them in water and tried to feed them in separate containers on 3 different occasions. The first being 2 days after I had them and they at 5 days apart. I have not tried rinsing them in soap. I guess Ivory is the best?

I have left the pinky in with each of them overnight and nothing. I am starting to get concerned. Any ideas or suggestions? Is it safe to leave the pinky in the feeding container longer than 6 hours? I am putting the small feeding container back in the viv with the lights off.

Sanebedlam
10-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Did the feeder specify Frozen/Thawed pinkies? They might have been feeding them live which is one thing to keep in mind. Also when you warm that pinkie you probably want to use the hottest water your tap puts out. It should be almost hot to the touch. You can also try covering them in their cage while they eat. If you browse this forum you will find dozens of possible solutions. Another is to slit the back of the pinkies neck to let the smells our or put a slit into the head so the brain can be smelled!

River Hill
10-01-2007, 10:33 PM
The breeder said frozen. Are you saying feed them in the viv, without a separate container? Also what do you mean by covering them?

Sanebedlam
10-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Sorry I wasn't more specific. You always want to feed them in a seperate container due to the risk of them eating substrate along with their pinkie. As for covering I mean if your feed container is see through (Like mine) then you place a towel or something over it so that they can still get ventilation but they don't see people walking around and such. As for how long you leave them there is no reason you can't leave them with it over night which is one thing I know sometimes helps. Also make sure your feed cage isn't to large you want to make sure your snake can find the food :-D

River Hill
10-04-2007, 08:11 AM
I am happy to say one of the corns finally ate. I still have one to go, so I guess there is help. My buddy keeps telling me he will eat when hungry, but I don't know. They are not from the same batch, but they are about the same age.

susang
10-04-2007, 05:12 PM
What are your temps in the vivs? Most often it is good to let the babies settle in for abour 4-5 days before handling at all. The one eating should not be handled for 48 hours after eating, except to put it back in the viv. good luck, susan

River Hill
10-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Temps are around 78. My one corn snake took another pinky, so that is now two. The first corn, still has not eaten yet. It is a little over 3 weeks now. Any tips or suggestions?

How long can a snake go without eating?

susang
10-09-2007, 08:38 PM
It may be a little too cool in the viv, what are you using for heat. The one that isn't eating you could try slitting the pink, washing it, scenting it with anole, or you could try live pinkie to get it started.

Checkerbelly
10-11-2007, 08:39 AM
There should be a place in the cage where the snake can get its body temp up to 85 degrees.

Nanci
10-11-2007, 09:12 AM
This is what I would do. Get the warm side of your viv up to 82-85F.

Wait five days from your last attempt. Make your next attempt at dusk. Thaw the pink, and get it hot! Like 101-103F. Slit the back of the pink with a small sewing scissors about two times. Put the snake and the pink in a small container- think margerine tub sized, with air holes. Cover the container with a dish towel or something. Do not disturb for one hour. If after one hour the snake hasn't eaten, put the whole thing in the viv, on the warm side, and check again in several hours. If it still hasn't eaten, leave it overnight.

Good luck!

Nanci

River Hill
10-11-2007, 09:57 AM
So are you saying cut the pink in half long ways?

Nanci
10-11-2007, 11:00 AM
If you mean me- I'm saying make little snips just through the skin on the back. I do mine crosswise. My snakes are all used to it by now, but they went CRAZY the first few times I did it.

Nanci

sandybunny
10-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Maybe the one snake is like mine and prefers on a white towel on the living room floor with an audience. :rolleyes:

River Hill
10-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Well the snake finally ate. I made sure to clean the pinky with Ivory soap first and it was gone within minutes.

I am very happy. I will not disturb him for 3 days now.