PDA

View Full Version : Creamsicles refuse to eat???

Creamsicles refuse to eat???

Artite
10-02-2007, 08:41 PM
hello everyone,

I got a creamscicle , she is 1.5 years, 1m3 and 550g, temperature ok Her diet was 1 large mouse a week. I never got a problem with her, but since a month she is refusing to eat. She did something very weird before this problem.

I got a male of 8 month, i did feed him first on the feeding tank. And just after i did feed the creamscicle in this same tank ( alone). She did squeeze the mouse and them she started to swallow it. Suddenly she stop to swallow and she got a stress,sniffing the tank everywhere. she might smell the previous snake on the box ( maybe). And she started to play with the dead mouse moving it with her head and she got a stress, and didn't eat at all.

Since this day, she doesn't want to eat at all. It has been a month today. I did try everything, frozen, live , rat pop, nothing. She look interested but finally she does nothing. So i did bring her to the vet, and he told me this snake is very healthy, no worries, how can i be not worried , if she doesn't eat ??. She is still very active , still shedding, she is drinking a lot.SO why does she refuse to eat ? Is she lazy ? Or is she on heat ? are she gravitating ? I got no male ready for , so seems to me impossible.

Please i would like to understand what's wrong with her. Just worried , can't understand why suddently she refuse a meal, that before she never did. thank

susang
10-02-2007, 08:51 PM
How long as this snake gone without food? Are you sure this is a female, it sounds like male spring behavior, as they will go off food for a couple months. She may also lay eggs even if she hasn't been with a male, they would not be fertile. ????? susang

Artite
10-02-2007, 09:10 PM
How long as this snake gone without food? Are you sure this is a female, it sounds like male spring behavior, as they will go off food for a couple months. She may also lay eggs even if she hasn't been with a male, they would not be fertile. ????? susang

1 month now.This is female definatly.

Artite
10-02-2007, 09:24 PM
i was wondering if female can the same behavior ?

bitsy
10-03-2007, 08:10 AM
How long have you had the female? If you've only recently bought her, then she could have been mated before she arrived and be gravid - females will sometimes go off their food if they're about to lay eggs.

MegF.
10-03-2007, 07:09 PM
My female went off food during most of her pregnancy, so I know females can go off food. It's just not as common. I wouldn't worry too much though. If she's on a large mouse at a year and a half old, you must have been really feeding her! My yearlings are all on hoppers and wouldn't even be close to a large adult mouse at 1 1/2 years. My 3 year old breeders are on large adult mice or small african rats and weigh less than yours. It might be the rat snake in her that's giving her such a huge size at such a young age. If she's that large, she can certainly go a long time without food. When my male went off food, he would stop eating for 3 months at a time without much loss of weight. Your's will certainly go at least that long or longer.

Sanebedlam
10-03-2007, 08:03 PM
You should be fine for a while I would recomend just trying to feed her first that way if she refuses you can give the food to the male and save a little money but she should be able to go a few months without food as has been stated.

Double het
10-05-2007, 02:52 PM
hello everyone,
I got a creamscicle , she is 1.5 years, 1m3 and 550g, temperature ok Her diet was 1 large mouse a week. I never got a problem with her, but since a month she is refusing to eat. She did something very weird before this problem.

You have her 1,5 years or she is 1,5 years?

550g for a 1,5 year old snake is MASSIVE. She might just have seen her reflection and though 'i need to go on a diet'.

Do you have a pic of her?