• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Old enemy of mine, we meet again...

Plissken

Crazy Snail Lady
Here we go again!

MITES.

Again!

I had these things about year and a half ago. Now they're back. I have no idea where they came from...these itchy little monsters spring out of nowhere, I swear!

I've had a feeling something isn't right with Chester for the last week or so. Tonight I bathed him and the water was full of tiny black dots. He has just been so restless lately. Poor dear.

I have no idea if the other two snakes are okay. I haven't seen anything on Connor. Willow, no clue; she isn't totally on top of the other snakes but mites can travel pretty darn far so who knows... I'll be cleaning and disinfecting all 3 all the same.

So I'm waging all out war :grin01:

Wish me luck please... I'll keep you guys updated in this thread.

*sigh*

Oh I wish you the very best of luck!

Thankfully I've never had mites, but I've only had reptiles for a month now (after 13 years of trying!) So there hasn't exactly been much time for that lol!

Are any of your snakes WC? Or did they come with them from the breeder/store? Let me know what happened with the original infestation.

Anyway, all the best!

David

Damn that sucks. Mites can be such a pain. luckily for me I've only had to deal with them once but it took a while to eradicate the little SOB's. Good luck!

When I raised rats, I'd occasionally get inexplicable mite outbreaks too. I think they come in on the bedding. Good luck!

Good luck. I remember how pernicious they were last time; I hope you get the whole thing over with faster this time around.

-Sean

Thanks guys!

Snake Dave - no, my snakelets are all CB. I don't really know where the original mites came from - I was so livid about it because they came in on Chester (it's always him, poor boy) and yet I'd spent a whole MONTH going back over and over again to examine him before I bought. I bought him and brought him home and next day saw MITES. I was fuming but it prepared me for the future I guess - made me realise how hard they are to spot.

I got rid of the last lot with vigorous cleaning and bathing... mite treatments like Provent A Mite are practically unavailable in the UK (to my knowledge anyway; I've looked high and low.)

Still. I'm glad I spotted this new lot of mites before I moved Chester in to his larger tank next week. ;)

If you have Vaseline or another petroleum product, run a line of it around the perimeter of the tub/tank about an inch below the top on the inside. That will prevent mites from spreading. They get stuck in the goo.

I know you didn't want to use chemicals on your snakes before, but after my brush with mites I use this stuff. I spray it on the bad-taste flower bunches I use in the tubs and leave them out to air a day or so before putting them in with the snakes, I also spray it on the rack shelves every couple of months

Attachments

• spray.jpg
    spray.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 124
Ouch, that's gotta suck. Good luck getting rid of them- haven't had to deal with them yet, but I'm sure I will eventually... and I'm NOT looking forward to it. Hope it doesn't take to long to eradicate them.

You know, I started to feel the exact same feeling last night when I discovered just how much urine my cat Strasti has been urinating again -- mites aren't my old enemy, my cat's diabetes are. :( Time for more & expensive vet appts...*sigh*

I hope that your mites problem goes away pronto!

A little bit of Sevin Dust will probably take care of them nasty little twerps...

Regards.. Tim of T and J

What about predatory mites? They eat the snake mites and won't harm your snake.

http://defenders.co.uk/pest-solutions/biological-sciarid-fly-control.html

Provent - a - Mite can be ordered online from http://www.pro-products.com/index.html but personally I would go with the predatory mites and there's no chemicals in them and they also eat snake mite eggs. One batch of predatory mites is enough to treat 10m2

As far as Provent - a - Mite goes I think with that, you don't spray the snake itself, you spray its enclosure, allow the spray to dry and then put the snake back in and any mites on the snake die when the animal is put back in.

Thanks for your help everyone!

I've heard of those defender mites. I'll look in to them. :)

I really wanted to try Reptile Relief, as from what I'be heard it's pretty safe and non-toxic, but I cna't get it in the UK. :( Anyone have any ideas where to get it? The only mite stuff I can get it Zoomed Mite Off which, as I've read, is utter rubbish...

Back