PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin A requirement from Beta Carotene

Vitamin A requirement from Beta Carotene

CowBoyWay
04-30-2003, 01:40 AM
"Rep-Cal Herptivite Multi vitaman
Vitamin A requirement from Beta Carotene

Rep-Cal's HERPTIVITE is a superior multi-vitamin, multimineral and amino acid food supplement developed from the latest findings in reptile and amphibian nutritional research.

Its formulation contains all natural source ingredients with a base of "sea vegetation."
Unlike other companies which use non-nutritional "bases," Rep-Cal's "sea vegetation" base is rich in essential trace elements and minerals.

Furthermore, HERPTIVITE contains precise levels of vitamins and minerals combined in perfect balance to ensure correct utilization of protein and other essential nutrients for growth, reproduction, maintenance and many aspects of your reptile's bodily functions.

HERPTIVITE is the first reptile vitamin without Vitamin A.
Instead we use Beta Carotene which is an anti-oxidant that is converted into Vitamin A in a regulated way, so there is no threat of Vitamin A toxicity. "
http://www.repcal.com/supp.htm#Herptivite

I find it interesting that they are using "Sea Kelp" as the base.

Sea Kelp has a very diverse package of micronutrients. Good Stuff.
The "mouse Chow, I'm switching over to has Sea kelp in the formulation...
:)

Shaky
05-23-2003, 02:22 PM
As opposed to "land Kelp?"

louis
05-23-2003, 03:36 PM
as far as I know, all that carotene does is make coloration brighter. any signifigant nutritional value?

bmm
05-23-2003, 03:50 PM
I give my snakes mice! I don't trust ANYTHING that hasn't been proven and tested to show signifigant positive effects in cornsnakes. We just don't know what the problem could be years down the road after all our snakes are full of repti-cal on top of an already healthy mouse diet.

bmm

CowBoyWay
05-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Choosing to do nothing is also a choice.
It is what most snake keepers traditionally have chosen to do.
I choose to do otherwise. :)

"HERPTIVITE is the first reptile vitamin without Vitamin A. Instead we use Beta Carotene which is an anti-oxidant that is converted into Vitamin A in a regulated way, so there is no threat of Vitamin A toxicity."
http://www.repcal.com/supp.htm#Herptivite

(Seawater "Sea Kelp" as compared to freshwater "Lake Kelp")

(Kelp is not officially "land Kelp" till either it's "landed" on the shoreline and/ or its being rototilled into my garden. ;))

bmm
05-23-2003, 07:28 PM
But I am curious as to what these man made things will do to snakes that have lived without them for thousands of years. No one to my knowledge has tested the long term effects of adding more and more vitamins to our herps.

Its not that I think it is wrong to choose to do so. Its that I see no point in doing so. The feeders I fed my snakes are given a larger variety than most mice get. It would scare me to add vitamins on top of a high quality diet. How much more do they need? That's what I don't understand, and what are the long term effects on the snakes that are constantly being given more and more and more vitamins?

I wish someone would do a study. Because IMHO they are either doing nothing as a mouse diet should supply all their needs (if the feeders are fed properly) or they are just building up. Not sure though. Someone should study it though.

Another issue I have is often newbies are dosing their snakes with reptical or the like at each feeding because they read it may be o.k. to dust once in awhile....they go over board...., over and over again each feeding pumping the snake full of vitamin powder. In Iguanas and Chameleons this has caused serious medical problems in quite a few cases, especially iguanas.

bmm

CowBoyWay
05-24-2003, 02:43 PM
"if a little is good, just think what a lot will do."

from linked website:
"Dosage: We ask that you mix Rep-Cal with our vitamin supplement Herptivite.
If we premixed the products,
the "beadlets" of beta carotene in Herptivite may possibly be damaged during manufacturing by the calcium in Rep-Cal."

"Calcium deficiency is a major dietary problem of captive reptiles and amphibians.
Maintaining a proper calcium: phosphorous (Ca:P) ratio in the diet of 1.5:1 is believed to be just as important nutritionally as an adequate Ca intake. "

So, I'm thinking, if one were to choose to do so, it would be best to mix it up in small "dilute batches"....
If one wished to "dose" every feeding, a one part "herptivite to 9 parts of a balanced, quality Calcium/ phosphorus product (10% to 90% ratio)
(1 level teaspoon to 9 level teaspoons...or reduced to a smaller portion...
1/4 level teaspoon to 2 and 1/4 teaspoon :)) would be.imho, appropiate, without living in fear of toxic buildups of vitamins and minerals. :) In the interest of keeping those micronutrients, micronutrients, and not becoming Macro-nutrients somewhere along the way.

Readily available OSTEO-FORM type powdered Calcium is used by many for a quality Calcium source.
A "Chelated calcium"...
Osteoform contains organic chelated minerals.
It contains 9 chelated minerals and vitamin D3.
http://lambriarvetsupply.com/pages/Vitamins___Supplements-Calcium.html
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5711&highlight=dicalcium

After all "one a day" vitamins should read "once every other day"...
But it just doesn't have the same "ring" to it. ;) imho