PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Baby Corn

Feeding Baby Corn

RtotheT
10-08-2007, 12:47 PM
My animal science teacher at school breeds corn snakes every year. The hatchlings this year hatched in Mid August. 5 of the baby corn snakes have not eaten till this date. My teacher lets some of the students take the baby snakes home in attempt to getting them to eat, with many being successful. I was thinking of bringing home one myself, but was wondering, once I bring it home, should I attempt to feed it right a way or should I give it a few days so it can get used to its new environment? (new housing) Its about to be 2 months now and the snake has not eaten. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rich in KY
10-08-2007, 01:17 PM
I would give it 1-2 days to settle in.

Do you have a viv that is safe for the snake? Do you have a plan on how to feed the hatchling?

RtotheT
10-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Yes. I'm aware of the proper housing. As for my feeding plan, I know there are many methods to getting a baby corn snake to eat, but I'm not sure which ones I should try first. Once the snake settles in, should I attempt to feed it a thawed Pinkie in its housing, or should I place the snake and Pinkie in a seperate container overnight?...As my first feeding method.

Rich in KY
10-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Since it is a non-feeder, I would brain the pinky then put them in a separate container overnight.

RtotheT
10-08-2007, 01:32 PM
That would be after letting the snake settle in correct? How long can they go about without any food? My major concern is that if it doesn't eat soon it'll end up..a goner =/

Rich in KY
10-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Yes wait 1 day, maybe 2 before feeding it after you get it. Since it hasn't eaten for a couple of months, it is getting near critical time.

One thing you may want to try is to soak the warmed pinky in either chicken broth or the water from a can of tuna before giving it to the hatchling.