PDA

View Full Version : Be???

Be???

miss_d_meanor
10-11-2007, 03:03 PM
this is where i show howmuchof anovice i amcanyou explain or post pic.i knowabout shed, what is blue.
and just for the record when a snake is blue or shedding when do you feed again
sorry to show how dumb am but i just wnt to know as much as i can
ive readlots of books butnone havementioned the "blue" state
thanks

dionythicus
10-11-2007, 03:21 PM
"Blue" is just a term to describe when a snake's eyes have clouded over before shedding. Their eyes look milky blue. Some snakes will eat during that period, some won't. You can offer food when they're in blue, or you can wait until they've completely shed.

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
10-11-2007, 03:24 PM
The blue phase happens in snakes just before the shedding phase. The skin starts to soften and the moisture in the skin increases. The skin of the snake takes on an overall dull bluish color. It is after the blue that the snake starts to clear up again and shortly after that the snake sheds.

Here is Dez in the blue phase.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/ilikelandscapes/Picture203.jpg

And him again after he has shed.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/ilikelandscapes/dezzy6.jpg

I used pictures from the same crappy camera just to show the difference of color he has.

Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
10-11-2007, 03:27 PM
I forgot to answer another question.

Some people are OK with feeding during the early stages of the blue phase but do not try to feed after the snake clears up and is about to shed. Also, do not hold a snake that is about to shed its sking. The underlayers can be sensitive and delicate.

susang
10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Here is a pic of my amel blue which is a term for the phase before shedding. You can see how my snake has a blue cast also the eyes get very blue looking. They will then go into a clear phase, and then they will shed. As for times for each phase all snakes are different this snake is blue 10-14 days, clear 2-4 days, will not eat anytime of these phases. I have others that eat right through the whole thing. Eat and shed 5 mins later. Picture 2 is his normal color. hope this helps, susang

miss_d_meanor
10-11-2007, 03:36 PM
thank you for the fast response, can also explain why allayia is not eating her eyes are starting to cloud over.
i only got her yesteday and initially was not going to feed her but she was last fed on 30/10/07 they said at the store that she is a good feeder and werenot sure if she had just shed or not, neways so i tried to feed but she was not interested
i will leave her for a couple of days or so before i try again

miss_d_meanor
10-11-2007, 03:39 PM
thank you for the fast response, can also explain why allayia is not eating her eyes are starting to cloud over.
i only got her yesteday and initially was not going to feed her but she was last fed on 30/10/07 they said at the store that she is a good feeder and werenot sure if she had just shed or not, neways so i tried to feed but she was not interested
i will leave her for a few of days or so before i try again

susang
10-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I think we already answered that question some snakes do not eat when blue or clear until after they shed. Dependin on your snakes age if it is a hatchling it wouldnot be uncommon for it to shed once a month.

JustineNYC
10-11-2007, 06:06 PM
If you just got her, she shouldnt be eating anyway. Offer her fod in 7 days. Some snakes lose their appetite before a shed, so no worries.