PDA

View Full Version : Sugar is dying. Please help me make her comfortable.

Sugar is dying. Please help me make her comfortable.

tracy0416
10-22-2007, 12:57 AM
My little blizzard corn, Sugar, is not doing well at all. She's the one who I got about 6 weeks ago who has thrown up every meal since I got her. She regurged about 4-7 days after each meal. I was told to not feed her for 10-14 days to allow for "regurge syndrome" to ease and her gastric juices to replenish. I followed this and she had not eaten for 12 days. She seemd okay until tonight.

Tonight when I came home I noticed she was laying with her head tilted to one side. I picked her up and she convulsed, her muscles contracted, she went all kinked, and she stopped breathing. She then opened her mouth, her jaw contracted and she spiraled her body around and stopped while she was in the supine position. She has not muscle tone at all now. I picked her up and gentley placed her in a critter keeper on some papertowel. She is covered so as to not stress her. She is limp but moves the tip of her tail.

She has black spots/areas in her belly which were not there before. I can see her intestines through her skin, as though her skin is becoming more see through. I have kept the humidity higher than usual because I though she was in blue. Her eyes are normally pink but I observed additional dark pink, dark circles, very thin, around the outside area inside her eyes. She cannot keep her head upright.

She is dying, there is no doubt. It's the middle of the night, the vet is not open until Tuesday. She has only the strength to move the tip of her tail every few minutes. She has no muscle tone. The colour is draining from her face and she is taking on a yellow appearance around her head and mouth.

What should I do? I feel she is suffering and way beyond help. She went downhill so suddenly. Last night she was wiggling around in my hand. I was looking forward to feeding her tomorrow, a pinkie head. There would be no way she'd have the strength for that. She's so tiny, around 8 inches and has not gained much weight in 6 weeks, probably 'cause of the regurge syndrome thing.

What should I do? How should I keep her comfortable? Warm or cool? Should I end her suffering or wait and see? If so, how? This is so sad.

All my other snakes are thriving and healthy. I have never had any problem (except for normal newbie panic things which turned out to be nothing.)

If you can offer advise, I appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Tracy

tom e
10-22-2007, 01:13 AM
Sorry to hear about your snake.. I think that if you're strong enough to do it, it's said that the kindest way to put them down is to smash the head quickly- as this will stop brain activity immediately. That would be a hard thing for me to do though. I've seen it said here that putting a snake into the fridge and then freezer is now considered cruel, which used to be thought to be painless. That said, it is what I can 'bear' to do when I need to end a snakes suffering, and I know it doesn't take very long at all even if it's not painless. It almost seems from your description though that she may be basically gone already.. The spots on her belly will be the release of bile which you see in dead ones. You may just be seeing twitching nerves now.

Again, sorry to hear it.

tracy0416
10-22-2007, 01:34 AM
Thank you for responding. I agree with you regarding smashing of the head. I can't do that as it's just too violent. I can't believe how fast this happened.

Does this happen in regurge syndrome?

Thanks,
tracy

tom e
10-22-2007, 01:42 AM
I don't know what regurge 'syndrome' is. I think what people were advising you was not that she had a disease, just that as a result of a recent regurge, she wouldn't have the stomach fluids to digest for another 12 days or so.
Regurges are not too dangerous on their own, but after several yeah it can be really hard on the baby because it has to break down it's own tissue to replenish that stomach acid- as far as I understand it. So it's more than just the missing meal, it becomes a sort of a 'negative meal' if that makes sence..

Jrgh17
10-22-2007, 02:51 AM
Awww.... I'm so sorry. Some snakes, despite our best efforts, just don't make it. I think you're doing a good job of keeping her comfortable, but it might be most humane to end her suffering.

Is there someone who would be willing to help you who doesn't have much emotional attachment to Sugar? I know it is pretty violent. The other two methods I've heard of are freezing and CO2. In my personal opinion, both have problems with them.

If you decide that you just can't do it, I would get her to the vet first thing Tues. Until then, you probably want to keep her warm and at a "normal" humidity.

Best of luck.

RavenSpirit360
10-22-2007, 03:38 AM
She seems to be very close to death or already dead. The limp body and dark spots make me think she is dead but the wiggling tail is weird, could be nerves. My condolences ahead of time and I hope she doesnt suffer much longer..

Velvet
10-22-2007, 04:13 AM
I'm really sorry about your snake. I lost two this way to regurging. Sometimes when they regurge, the damage that is done is very, very bad and they do not make it. :(

The best thing to do is to put her out of her misery, as horrible and difficult as it is, you must think of her now above yourself. If she is writhing and thrashing, she is in considerable pain. Kindest to end it quickly though it isn't pleasant for you.

I'm really really sorry, went through exactly this in July this year, TWICE! The first one died before I could euthanaze him and to be honest, I have never quite forgiven myself. I euthanazed the second one before she could get that far. :(

Best of luck! My thoughts are with you!

SnakeAround
10-22-2007, 05:09 AM
I'd put her in the freezer, being that weak I assume she would die very quickly in there from heart failure or something, so little pain would be felt. I have done that with an adult that was as close as yours to death.

I feel sorry for your loss!

diamondlil
10-22-2007, 05:13 AM
Please don't use the freezer. Either crush the head very quickly or cut it off with a very sharp knife (I used surgical scissors to euthanise a herniated hatchling) I won't pretend it was easy to do, but freezing is not humane at all

Susan
10-22-2007, 06:52 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. As of my post, I am assuming your little one has already passed as it sounded like she was basically gone when you posted. Reflex movements and breaths occur quite often in recently deceased animals.

As a precaution, I would highly recommend that you throw everything associated with this hatchling away, or sterilize as much as possible with ammonia. Multiple regurges are a symptom of cryptosporidiosis and I would hate to see the rest of your collection, or any new hatchlings you acquire, get it. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying your hatchling had crypto, just that it is one of many possibilities and you can't be too careful.

Nanci
10-22-2007, 06:55 AM
Tracy, I'm so sorry about Sugar. Poor little thing. I know you tried so hard with her.

Nanci

starsevol
10-22-2007, 08:48 AM
I am so sorry about Sugar.
I lost a bloodred boy named Lumos to regurg last winter.
It's hard, isn't it?

HUGS

Kokopelli
10-22-2007, 09:32 AM
I am sorry for your loss, at this stage I doubt there's much one can do... My first snake ever was a corn hatchling who has issues all along... and then one day I found him in a similar state though without the black squares which you talked about.

You did not mention it in your post and I am by no means judging- did you have a thermometer inside the tank? Most late regurgitations I encountered were due to the meat rotting inside the snake- so he had to regurgitate it. This rot occurs mostly when the temperature isn't high enough to complete a successful digestion cycle.

Also consider if you have introduced anything new to the terrarium...

As people already said before... some hatchlings are ticking time bombs because they carry all sorts of kinks you can't know about until it is too late.

I suggest you learn as much as you can from it so that you can be a better keeper- not because you were bad, but because you may have learned something from it. I think that would be the best imaginable way to honor the passing of your little friend.

Twizzy
10-22-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about little sugar ..my condolences. As hard as it is ..I guess this is part of mother nature.

We had to learn this as well this spring. I had purchased two Butters that just weren't meant to make it..fortunately the breeder was in town and he put them down for me..So I didnt have to..But I have had to do it with birds and it is hard no matter what.

Please dont be hard on yourself..some just arent meant to make it..IMHO!

tracy0416
10-22-2007, 10:17 AM
When I woke this morning, Sugar had gone to the great hide in the sky, where temps and humidity are perfect and the pinkies run plentiful. Thanks everyone for being here for me.

starsevol: Ya, it is hard. But this forum provides a place to share our sadness which is really helpful.

Kokopelli: I did have a thermometer in there but Sugar did spend most of her time on the cool side. You are right. I will learn and become a better keeper to honor Sugar. Thanks for that.

Nanci: Thank you for being hear and listening.

Susan: Yes, I will be sure to sterilize everything. Thanks for the reminder and for being here for me.

Blutengel: Thanks for being here for me.

diamondlil: Thanks for letting me know.

Jrgh17: Thank you for being here and sharing that.

RavenSpirit360: Thank you for your condolences.

Velvet: Thanks for being here for me.

tom e: Yes, "negative" meal makes sense and I feel that is what most likely happened because of the weight loss before hand. I'll never really know but being that I was observant of her, and did not see signs of a RI, I think this is the case. Thanks for your efforts to help me and such.

Twizzy: Ya, I guess you are right. Perhaps the reason she did not usually run from me when I picked her up was not that she was trusting, but just weak or conserving energy or some other such thing. Thanks for being here and taking the time.

I guess I will bury Sugar in the garden and let mature take care of her. Is there a "proper" method for burial/disposal?

Thanks all.
Sincerely,
Tracy

Nanci
10-22-2007, 10:31 AM
I usually wrap anyone I bury in a soft cloth or paper towels, and put in a small cardboard box, and bury about a foot deep under a pretty bush or tree. (I've buried a lot of hit-by-car birds that didn't make it.)

Nanci

MerlinsPop
10-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Very sorry to hear of you loss, truly.

Just like everyone else, go over everything you had in your set up and make note of anything that you might want to do differently. Sanitize everything or replace things you're not confident that you can sanitize thoroughly.

For burial, I prefer to simply lay the lost pet at the bottom when planting a flower or bush. I do that so I know that the little one will return to it's elements easily and nourish the growing plant, becoming part of it which remains as a reminder for a long time to come.

When you're ready to give it another go, I'm sure you'll have much better success. As said before, sometimes young ones just aren't meant to survive.

RavenSpirit360
10-22-2007, 01:29 PM
I am sorry for your loss, you did all you could for her. At least she had a good home for her short time on earth. I to usually bury them and plant a plant over them as a reminder of their life and also to complete the cycle of life. Or I bury them in my garden where plants are already abundant. Since she was a blizzard maybe you could plant something with white flowers over or next to her. Everytime the flowers bloom it would be like the earth and her saying thank you for taking care of her..

Plissken
10-22-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did everything you could to try and help her.

As for the burial, I usually wrap the little one in something (or use a box for a larger animal) and bury them amongst the plants. I like to pick a sunny, pretty spot of the garden. It is hard, but I think a garden burial is a lovely way to show thanks and respect to a cherished friend.

tracy0416
10-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks to everyone. I will do a garden burial and give thanks for my little friend. It's neat how we consider them friends eh? When I come home each night, I spend time with one of my snakes and I feel instantly calm and focused. I find them really meditative. I know they just "tolerate" us handling them, but I do hope the pleasure I get is given back somehow, even if only them feeling safe and secure, or mildy entertained or stimulated by the way I decorate their vis or let them go on little exploring adventures around the living room blankets and such.

I planned on only one snake initially but quickly realized I would be bugging a snake too much if I played with/handled it too many times a day. Having more than one snake allows me to get my snake fix but give the others time to rest.

Again, thanks all. This forum sure is a good place.

Rich in KY
10-22-2007, 04:11 PM
I am sorry for your loss Tracy :( I am sure Sugar is chomping on a big fat pinky right now where she is at right now.

Wis_fishing_guy
10-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Sorry about your lost!!!!

Cegninedorf
10-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Tracy, I am sorry for your loss of Sugar, but I will admit: reading this thread has been helpful for me to know what to do when the time comes...especially should it come so painfully.

I had my own pet cemetery when I lived in the country in WI, over 10 years ago; lots of squirrels from the power lines, the occasional bird from hitting the house's bay window, and prey left in the backyard. I was amazed to return to my former house & when I saw that part of the yard, it was beautiful with tall pine trees looking quite healthy. :) I know that all of those animals had a major part in making that happen, as will Sugar. :)

darkmorning1
10-22-2007, 09:41 PM
am sorry about your lost with sugar.

tracy0416
10-22-2007, 10:27 PM
I am sorry for your loss Tracy :( I am sure Sugar is chomping on a big fat pinky right now where she is at right now.

I bet she is : ) Thanks.

tracy0416
10-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Tracy, I am sorry for your loss of Sugar, but I will admit: reading this thread has been helpful for me to know what to do when the time comes...especially should it come so painfully.

I had my own pet cemetery when I lived in the country in WI, over 10 years ago; lots of squirrels from the power lines, the occasional bird from hitting the house's bay window, and prey left in the backyard. I was amazed to return to my former house & when I saw that part of the yard, it was beautiful with tall pine trees looking quite healthy. :) I know that all of those animals had a major part in making that happen, as will Sugar. :)

I am burying her tonight. I had to wait for the dark as I rent here and I only have a small patch of garden in the front. I didn't want anyone coming by asking why I am digging such a deep hole. (I don't want her to get dug up by squirrels or raccoons which are quite plentiful here).

tracy0416
10-22-2007, 10:31 PM
am sorry about your lost with sugar.

Thank you so much. Everyone's replies make it easier.
Tracy