PDA

View Full Version : My snake died

My snake died

jaimbabe
10-22-2007, 11:49 PM
My baby corn snake just died. He just shed last Friday, so I tried feeding him tonight. He hasn't eaten since I've had him (about 4 weeks) and tonight was the third time I tried. He didn't take the mouse, so I did as I've done before: I put him and the mouse in his little Petco box(which has airholes) and closed it up and left the whole box in his vivarium. I checked back 45 minutes later to see if he had eaten the mouse, which he hadn't, but he wasnt moving at all. I shook the box a little to see if he'd snap out of it but he didn't and I finally picked him up to discover that to the best of my knowledge, he is dead. Why on earth would this happen? Ive done this same thing before and it's been fine(well, he never took the mouse before, but he kept alive!). Could he have suffocated? That's almost what it looks like because his mouth was open. I feel horribly guilty. Maybe this snake thing isn't for me after all. Help!

Rich in KY
10-22-2007, 11:55 PM
I am so sorry for your loss :cry:

It is very hard to say why he died. You say the box you put him in to feed had airholes so he shouldn't have suffocated. Do you know if he ever ate? That could be a problem. But you will never know for sure why he died.

Don't let this deter you for keeping snakes in the future. They can be so rewarding to keep.

susang
10-22-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm sorry some snakes just aren't meant to live, there is most likely nothing you could have done. I would however contact the place you got him. susang

tracy0416
10-23-2007, 12:14 AM
I am sorry for your loss. My little Sugar died today as well. It's hard eh?

Don't let this keep you from getting another when you are ready. Corns are hardy snakes and if yours passed, something was wrong before you got it probably. I have others and am so happy I discovered snakes.

It did not suffocate. A guy here in Ontario (who deals in wholesale reptiles) says that some snakes he receives are imported in air tight containers (so airport dogs don't sniff them out) and they survive for 3 days without air, on a plane or some stupid thing. You did not kill your snake. You tried really hard.

Yours and mine are now eating a big fat pinkie in the sky I hope!

Tracy

jaimbabe
10-23-2007, 12:38 AM
I wanted to mention also that the snake was fine before I put him in the box. He was slithering all over his viv all last night and all day, which is why I thought he would be ready to eat. And he has eaten before, just not for me. But when I got him from Petco they said he had been eating just fine. Is it possible that he overheated? Can that happen in that short a period of time? I did have the box directly over the heat pad...but the pad is under the glass and I have 2 pieces of felt stuck over the glass, plus the cardboard that was in between the snake and heat as well! I'm just so confused as to what happened.

a_god_s
10-23-2007, 12:45 AM
IDon't let this deter you for keeping snakes in the future. They can be so rewarding to keep.

Rich and Tracy are right. Don't let this put you down, it can make you a better snake keeper in the future. You care!

I would also do what Susang suggested, contact the person from whom you got the snake and let them know what happened.

Jessicat
10-23-2007, 06:17 AM
I'm guessing that he had never had a meal in his life. Sad, but true. I once saw a hatchling at petco that had a HUGE kink in its neck area. The snake could not even align its head straight with its body.

It seemed pretty clear to me that whatever supplier that store must whole sale their completely hopeless non feeders instead of properly euthanizing them.

Let this be a lesson. If you do decide to buy another snake make sure it is from a reputable breeder. It may be a good idea for you to get a well established snake as a starter instead of a hatchling as well.

CornNoobie
10-23-2007, 06:31 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss, and to you tracy.

Jaimbabe, you said the tub was over your heatmat, what are the temps coming from it?
Its more than likely that it just wasnt meant to live, as said above, so dont let it put you off owning more snakes :)

Sanebedlam
10-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I would defiantly recommend a well established snake as well. I am located in San Diego. I noticed your in Cali as well. If your down in this area I would be happy to help you find another snake but if not I am sure someone here is near your area and can help you out.

KJUN
10-23-2007, 10:12 AM
I wanted to mention also that the snake was fine before I put him in the box. He was slithering all over his viv all last night and all day, which is why I thought he would be ready to eat. And he has eaten before, just not for me. But when I got him from Petco they said he had been eating just fine. Is it possible that he overheated? Can that happen in that short a period of time? I did have the box directly over the heat pad...but the pad is under the glass and I have 2 pieces of felt stuck over the glass, plus the cardboard that was in between the snake and heat as well! I'm just so confused as to what happened.

You really shouldn't put it directly over the hot spot IF it is over 82-84F...and I wouldn't even leave it at those temps for long. Not saying anything is your fault (all living things die!), but check those temps and make sure about it next time. Either way, I am sorry to hear about the little guys demise.

As a warning to everyone, this is a time of year when lots of people start having trouble with young snakes. There houses are starting to get cooler at night, and temps are dropping in many cages without them knowing it. It is wise for everyone to have some max-min thermometers in their cages so they KNOW the exact temps over an entire day's cycle. Most people will learn a lot they didn't know about the temps their snakes are experiencing! The other time lots of people start having trouble is in the spring when they first start running their AC units again....because cages can ALSO have unknown drops - usually in the evenings or at night! A max-min thermometer is very valuable!

Again, this may have nothing to do with you - it's a warning to all beginners! I get emails almost daily this time of year with people having these types of issues!
KJ

MerlinsPop
10-23-2007, 10:51 AM
When I picked up Vern from Petco, she was all of 5 grams. The woman there said that he had eaten 2 pinkies two days before that. Given how 'baggy' her skin was, and comparing that image to how nice and snug her skin is now, I have a hard time believing she ate that much that recently and only weighted 5 grams. I went through 3 refusals before she ate, and she hasn't stopped since.

MerlinsPop
10-23-2007, 10:52 AM
oops... I am sorry for you loss. Don't let this experience discourage you.

sandybunny
10-23-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm guessing that he had never had a meal in his life. Sad, but true. I once saw a hatchling at petco that had a HUGE kink in its neck area. The snake could not even align its head straight with its body.

It seemed pretty clear to me that whatever supplier that store must whole sale their completely hopeless non feeders instead of properly euthanizing them.

Let this be a lesson. If you do decide to buy another snake make sure it is from a reputable breeder. It may be a good idea for you to get a well established snake as a starter instead of a hatchling as well.

I am so sorry for your loss. I agree with Jessicat, I bet the snake had never eaten. The store workers are not going to tell you if a snake is either a problem eater, or not eating at all. Please don't be discouraged, it wasn't your fault. You did not kill your snake. I would recommend ordering one from a breeder on this forum. You would know for certain that the snake is healthy and eating. Also, they can help you personally if you are having problems. :) There is a for sale thread on this forum. Don't be shy, go look, and talk to different breeders to find what you want. Good luck, and I am so sorry again for your loss. :cry:

this_name's_corny
10-23-2007, 11:25 AM
I am so very sorry about your snake. :cry:
it really wasn't your fault. Don't trust the pet-store guys!!!
:flames: :eek1: