PDA

View Full Version : Escapee has turned up - injured

Escapee has turned up - injured

jub_jub_bird
10-24-2007, 01:18 PM
I just wanted an opinion on this little one... he escaped last week, turned up within 24hrs but it looks as if hes been trapped or something has fallen on him. He still has full mobility, and i thought i'd try him with a pink last night (which was gone this morning). he sits curled up in the tub but his lower half twists rigt round, and its still really swolen. has this ever happened to anyone else? he hasnt pooed yet so im not sure if it might cause him problems... absolutely gutted :cry:

these are the best pics i could get for the mo im afraid.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k124/jabberwocky_2006/katpics037.jpg
and from the top - the lump is just under my finger - sorry its all blury!
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k124/jabberwocky_2006/katpics040.jpg

Any advice greatfully recieved (even if you think its bad news time!)

Kat

Kokopelli
10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Personally, I would go and consult the vet. Perhaps it will sort itself out but the fact that it is swollen may or may not indicate infection...
I know for a fact that snakes have been known to survive through much more severe ordeals so don't give up.

If I were you, I'd see a vet. I don't want to hand out advice when the severity of the injury is in question and there's no way to determine it by mere sight through a photo.

Hope the snake will be alright,
Oren

diamondlil
10-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Would this be any help?
http://www.herpvetconnection.com/uk.shtml

jub_jub_bird
10-24-2007, 01:51 PM
cheers guys, especially for the herpvet site!

Jaqui Patterson is my guru so it may be time to consult her lol!

Im absolutely gutted - first year of breeding and then something like this happens...

thanks again,
Kat

Kokopelli
10-24-2007, 02:02 PM
If the snake becomes Lethargic at some point and doesn't respond to your presence at all I highly recommend you go and see a vet asap. Things are usually bad when they become unresponsive.

I simply know some people who "wait out" their animals' health issues and wait 'till the last minute.

I am not saying you're one of those people- just recommending you don't wait too long if you get no response from that site in a timely manner.

jub_jub_bird
10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
oh god i wont leve it any longer - he turned up on sunday morning freezing cold (i thought he was dead!) it wasnt immediately apparent there was anything wrong untill he warmed up and started looking for food. i thought the swelling would go down but it hasnt really so he does need checking over - just wondered if anyone had ha a similar occurance.
The thought of an infection never even occured to me but it would explain the lump not just being tissue damage/a breakage, so thanks for that its much appreciated :)

Thanks again!
Kat

nlove_3000
10-25-2007, 01:38 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question....but just thought I'd throw it out there -- Is it possible that he found something else to eat while out?

jub_jub_bird
10-25-2007, 07:54 AM
well, i got a mega-early sort of emergency appointment with my local-ish vet this morning (my credit card company now love me by the way!) and the verdict is ... well better than expected realy!

we have 2% baytrill to put in his water incase of any infection, and he said that as he can still use his tail its unlikely there is any major damage to the spine so its realy just a wait and see process. If he poos thats excellent as it means he hasnt damaged his intestines and he is certainly active at the moment!

So unlucky hatchling 13 has realy become a self fulfilling prophecy!

Keep your fingers crossed for him!
Kat

RavenSpirit360
10-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Good luck with the little guy, I am hoping he will be ok, I am sure he will with time. I have seen worse injuries heal and snakes have amazing strength when it comes to healing. Glad you where able to get him to the vet though.

jub_jub_bird
10-27-2007, 06:23 AM
HE HAS POOED!!!!!!!!!

:dancer:

Thigs are looking up! Thanks again guys!

Kat

diamondlil
10-27-2007, 06:32 AM
:dancer::dancer::dancer:Yessss! (fingers still crossed for you)