PDA

View Full Version : Feeding question

Feeding question

JennyB
10-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I just bought my first snake today, a cornsnake, of course... I was told to wait a couple days for him/her to adjust to the new environment before attempting to feed it. When I do feed it, do I just toss the pinkie in there and make sure it eats?

I'm looking into feeding frozen mice in the future. What do I need to do with that other than thawing obviously? How do you thaw it?

susang
10-24-2007, 10:58 PM
You should wait a minimum of three days before handling even to feed. No you do not just toss the mouse in there. It is best to feed the snake in a seperate container. What substrate are you using, temps, hides, water dish. IHow big is this snake?

JennyB
10-24-2007, 11:04 PM
So I don't even want to hold it at all for three days? It needs to eat soon. It doesn't look like it's been fed this week. What type of seperate container do you recommend to feed in and what size? I'm using paper towels for a substrate. I'm trying to keep the temp at about 79-82 deg. F, I have an undertank heater. My setup is a rock hideaway over the heater, some fake plants partially covering the hideaway and completely covering the space between the hideaway and the waterdish so it can cool off and still be hidden. It is about a foot long right now, if that. It's in a 15 gal aquarium with a screen lid.

MO, CORNFED
10-24-2007, 11:09 PM
remember the size is more important then anything. If it's small you definetly need to take it out of the tank and feed it in a smaller container.

If you have an adult, you can feed it in the viv if you want, but make sure that if you do that, then your not repeating the same steps everytime you feed it, and make sure you open the cage and handle the snake more then just on feeding days.

But yes it is better to have a viv and a feeding tank so that when you reach your hand in the tank your corn doesn't think your feeding it.

Remember not to repeat yourself on feeding days, because the snake will getused to eating everytime you try to do anything with them.

MO, CORNFED
10-24-2007, 11:12 PM
If you have only had it today, it needs at least 3 days to get used to it's new home, remember that snakes can go for a long time without being fed, even though it's not advised, your snake probably won't eat if you try to feed it now.

susang
10-24-2007, 11:12 PM
So I don't even want to hold it at all for three days? It needs to eat soon. It doesn't look like it's been fed this week. What type of seperate container do you recommend to feed in and what size? I'm using paper towels for a substrate. I'm trying to keep the temp at about 79-82 deg. F, I have an undertank heater. My setup is a rock hideaway over the heater, some fake plants partially covering the hideaway and completely covering the space between the hideaway and the waterdish so it can cool off and still be hidden. It is about a foot long right now, if that. It's in a 15 gal aquarium with a screen lid.

Correct do not handle it will not starve. It should eat every 4-5 days, if it is a hatchling. If it is eating pinkies it is a hatchling. If fedding frozen/ thawed (f/t) thaw in warm water until pink is thawed and very warm to touch. Feed in a small container (deli cup) put in pink then snake and it whould eat. Some like privacy so I cover with a towel. Hatchling are squirmy so it may seem difficult to get in small conatainer, but if you point head toward pink it should be fine.
The mat should be on one outer side to achieve temps. Temps 80-85 warm side, hide on warm side, 70-75 cool side, hide on cool side, water closer to cool side. Fake plants fine, more hides fine. Aspen great bedding, paper towel good, CareFresh ok, no pine or fir.
BE VERY SURE the lid is locked or clipped or has weights to hold it on or the snake WILL get out. anything else ask, susang

Rich in KY
10-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Hey Clarksville, In! I am from Louisville and used to manage the EB/Gamestop at the Greentree Mall.

Listen to Susan. She gives solid advice. Any other questions just ask.

MO, CORNFED
10-24-2007, 11:17 PM
all you need is a rubbermaid container to feed it in, make sure you keep the container small enough so that the snake won't lose it's food. Considering you still are feeding pinkies, the snake is probably to small and to young to fully comprehend what it's food smells like.

susang
10-24-2007, 11:20 PM
remember the size is more important then anything. If it's small you definetly need to take it out of the tank and feed it in a smaller container.

If you have an adult, you can feed it in the viv if you want, but make sure that if you do that, then your not repeating the same steps everytime you feed it, and make sure you open the cage and handle the snake more then just on feeding days.

But yes it is better to have a viv and a feeding tank so that when you reach your hand in the tank your corn doesn't think your feeding it.

Remember not to repeat yourself on feeding days, because the snake will getused to eating everytime you try to do anything with them.

What size important? I would never feed an adult in viv it can still ingest bedding and get an impaction. What repeating steps???? I'm sorry this info is probably not the best. You could change everytime and if it is going to strike it will. :bang: susang

MO, CORNFED
10-24-2007, 11:22 PM
hey jenny what did you say about having plants everywhere? make sure you still leave room for your snake to stretch out, I'm not to sure about corns cause I'm still learning, but my BP definetly needs room to stretch and I would just assume corns due too.

Susang due you agree?

JennyB
10-24-2007, 11:22 PM
What do you mean don't repeat the same steps everytime I feed it?

I have the thermometer in the middle, so it's kind of hard to tell what the temp is on the cold vs warm side. I just know it was on the warm side all day and only came out to explore once and to get a drink. I also invested in some clips for the lid today, but my dog is a clutz so I'm going to have to put a rock or something on top as well in case someone forgets to shut the bedroom door and Nina gets in there.

It's a cute little thing. It got really mad when the lady took him out of the cage and it started puffing up and hissing. We named it "Roo".

JennyB
10-24-2007, 11:24 PM
The are very loose plants. He can still stretch out under them or even on top.

MO, CORNFED
10-24-2007, 11:25 PM
for instance, my BP got used to me turning on the lights when I was feeding it, so I had to turn the lights on more often in the cage so that it didn't get used to it. Maybe I'm crazy but hey.

Susang you would know better then me.

JennyB
10-24-2007, 11:26 PM
So I'm thinking about buying some of the smallest frozen pinkies from the mouse factory. How many should I get? I don't want to get too many of the small ones and have them be too small for him in the near future. About how long do I have before I upgrade to the next size? Is it possible to start feeding fresh and then go to frozen?

Rich in KY
10-24-2007, 11:28 PM
I also invested in some clips for the lid today, but my dog is a clutz so I'm going to have to put a rock or something on top as well in case someone forgets to shut the bedroom door and Nina gets in there.

I suggest using 12X12 marble tile to weigh the top down. They weigh about 7 pounds each. So they are a good compliment to the clips. You can get them at Home Depot for about $2 each.

I look forward to seeing pics of Roo!

JennyB
10-24-2007, 11:29 PM
I'll post them as soon as the wedding is over with. My camera is packed somewhere right now. :(

MO, CORNFED
10-24-2007, 11:30 PM
normally like my pet store you can buy a box of 10 pinkies for $6 and as long as they stay frozen your good.

From my expierience if you start out live it's almost impossible to feed frozen, my BP eats live, and if they die before I get them home she won't touch because she likes the kill, I would stay frozen it's easier.

JennyB
10-24-2007, 11:34 PM
The only place around here I know that sells frozen is petsmart and i don't know if they have pinkies. I need to find out soon. I think they've been feeding live at the store i got it from though.

MO, CORNFED
10-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Well Like I said I've had my BP(Ball Python) for 2 years now and she only eats live, she is up to small rats now and trust me it sucks to feed her a live rat.

I know that corns don't usually get that big as far as gerth goes but adult mice are a pain and you have to here the live ones squeal.

Try frozen/thawed first. cause yeah it can be cool to watch them it the live ones, but they can also get injured, and you have to watch them eat to make sure the rat or mouse isn't going to eat the snake incase your snake isn't hungry that day.

Pulling the live ones out isn't fun either.

susang
10-24-2007, 11:40 PM
So I'm thinking about buying some of the smallest frozen pinkies from the mouse factory. How many should I get? I don't want to get too many of the small ones and have them be too small for him in the near future. About how long do I have before I upgrade to the next size? Is it possible to start feeding fresh and then go to frozen?
Get the smallest amount. They usually move up fast. My early summer hatchling are taking peach fuzzies now. You can also buy live and freeze yourself or didn't you say you raise rodents?
I absolutely mean no disrespect Mo, but your advice is confusing and not the best way not that it's wrong but ???? You do not need to change your routine, also what is good for a BP may not be good for corn, many people have multiple hides and fake plants, corns are not usually stretched out, they may cruise. Considering a 20L is good for their whole life stretching out isn't a priority.

JennyB
10-24-2007, 11:43 PM
The smallest amount I can buy is 50. I don't raise rodents, I just keep them as pets.

MO, CORNFED
10-24-2007, 11:47 PM
I know you aren't being disrespectful, and you know I appreciate all your advice, I'm just sharing my experience, as for I can't see them being so diff about certain things but.

I know you know better so I'll let you handle it.

Sorry if I confused you Jenny

susang
10-24-2007, 11:56 PM
The smallest amount I can buy is 50. I don't raise rodents, I just keep them as pets.

That would work as it will eat 1 every 4-5 days, as snake get a little bigger you would move up to 2 every 4-5 days. Then peach fuzz....you'll get a feel for it. rule of thumb 1.5 bigger then biggest part of their body or lump should be visible when they are done in tummy.
What kind of rodents do you have as pets? I'e done hamsters, mice, just started rats.

MO, CORNFED
10-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Question Susang. I was just looking at my BP whose in her shedding phase, and I was wondering, When your corns shed do you put them in warm water after their eyes clear up again and they start to shed? or do you just leave them alone?

susang
10-25-2007, 12:10 AM
Question Susang. I was just looking at my BP whose in her shedding phase, and I was wondering, When your corns shed do you put them in warm water after their eyes clear up again and they start to shed? or do you just leave them alone?

Some people put a moist hide, many snake will get in their water bowl, I do various things, some I spritz alot during the day. My creamsicle likes a moist hide, its just a little tub with damp sphagnum moss he goes in and out. About the size of a butter tub lid on hole on each side, he is about 600 grams and it works great for him. pm's you too

HoganD87
10-25-2007, 09:30 AM
I just bought my first snake today, a cornsnake, of course... I was told to wait a couple days for him/her to adjust to the new environment before attempting to feed it. When I do feed it, do I just toss the pinkie in there and make sure it eats?

I'm looking into feeding frozen mice in the future. What do I need to do with that other than thawing obviously? How do you thaw it?

I put my pinkies under the heat lamp for a few minutes... BUT DON't FORGET IT!! haha big mistake on my park. you take either feeding tongs or in my case chopsticks and put the pinkie face to face with the snake, he/she will check it out for a bit then strike. Enjoy the show. you can email me for a link that shows you how its done but I'm too lazy to find it right now.

JennyB
10-25-2007, 10:48 AM
I have two rats and a mouse right now.

JennyB
10-25-2007, 11:01 AM
So I'm going to go ahead and order some frozen mice from the mouse factory. Should I get the day old pinkies or the 2-3 day old pinkies?

susang
10-25-2007, 01:15 PM
So I'm going to go ahead and order some frozen mice from the mouse factory. Should I get the day old pinkies or the 2-3 day old pinkies?

I'ld get the next size up.
Ratties how cool I was terrified of them until I got them I have two hairless and 4 muts, but they're all cute.

JennyB
10-25-2007, 04:25 PM
So get the couple day old pinkies?

Rich in KY
10-25-2007, 04:27 PM
So get the couple day old pinkies?

Yes, the 2-3 day old pinkies should be fine.

JennyB
10-25-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm interested to see how something so small could eat that... All snakes can detach their jaw to eat right?

ssmith_1187
10-25-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm interested to see how something so small could eat that

You'll be amazed on what they can eat. Just follow the advice and keep your prey items at or under 1.5 times the thickest part of your snake.

Do you currently have a scale to weigh your snake???

Regards,
Steve

Rich in KY
10-25-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm interested to see how something so small could eat that... All snakes can detach their jaw to eat right?

Yes.

As a rule of thumb, you don't want to feed your snake anything that is more than 1.5 times the thickness of the girth of the snake. Most snakes would be big enough for the bigger pinkies after 2-3 feedings.

I looked and didn't see if you said how old your snake was or how many times it ate for the breeder.

JennyB
10-26-2007, 11:23 PM
We have a food scale on our registry, but nobody has bought us it yet. Is a food scale okay? I was getting it to weigh my rats, but that may not be a good idea to weigh them both on the same scale.

I really don't know how old it is or how many times it has eaten. I got it from a pet store and the lady said her nephew or something breeds them and she didn't have the information. I should've asked her to have him call me. I fed him a small pinkie today. It wasn't but 1-2 days old, and he got it down in about a minute and a half. It wouldn't have taken him so long, but he latched on to the pinkie's side and had to maneveur it around. I honestly think he'll be fine with the larger pinkies. He still looked hungry after I fed him, and I could barely see the lump afterwards.. I really had to look for it. When I put him back into the tank, he was slithering around looking for more. Today was only day two since I got him, but he was obviously very hungry. Everytime I'd stick my hand in the cage, he'd strike at it until he realized it was me. After I fed him, he was like "maybe this place isn't so bad. They DO feed you here." LOL I can't wait for you guys to see pics of him. I need to find my camera.

JennyB
10-26-2007, 11:27 PM
By the way, nobody warned me you could still hear the baby mouse suckling after it swallowed it for about 30 seconds. I was freaking out. I don't like feeding it mice since I've raised all sorts of rodents for several years, but he's my responsibility now and I'm not going to let him starve because I don't like it... I'm just going to make sure things get started and leave the room and check on him every minute until I get use to it.

Cat_Eyed_Lady
10-26-2007, 11:57 PM
I've Had to feed live pinks before but I never heard anything afterwards :shrugs:

susang
10-27-2007, 12:58 AM
I have heard the pinks squeel esp. when the snake butt munches. you can bump the pinkie head or thimp it with you thumb and forefinger. this might help you, susang

JennyB
10-27-2007, 05:43 AM
...Or I can just feed frozen if he'll let me....

JennyB
10-27-2007, 05:43 AM
Just out of curiosity, what would make a snake regurgitate other than handling it right after it eats and it trying to eat something too large?

diamondlil
10-27-2007, 06:12 AM
If the temperatures are too low, the food 'rots' rather than being digested, so you get regurgitation. Also intestinal parasites and crypto have regurges as a symptom

JennyB
10-27-2007, 06:18 AM
what is crypto?

Lennycorn
10-27-2007, 06:36 AM
what is crypto?

http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26602&highlight=crypto%3F

Cat_Eyed_Lady
10-27-2007, 07:36 AM
also, feeding too often can do it too because I just dont think they have the stomache juices to process food. :shrugs: Hopefully after the 8-10 days and then a 5 day feeding schedule will help and he wont do it anymore. Its so scarey when they do that :(

JennyB
10-28-2007, 03:10 AM
Luckily Roo, to my knowledge, has never regurgitated. I've only fed him once since having him and he did wonderfully. That question was more of an FYI question than a "this is what's happening" question.

Crypto sounds horrible. I hope my little guy never gets it.

JennyB
10-28-2007, 03:15 AM
Should I be worried that I haven't seen any urine or feces since I got him on Wednesday? I've got him on papertowels, so I doubt that I'd miss it.