PDA

View Full Version : How often do you feed??

How often do you feed??

WAS1
10-25-2007, 12:57 PM
I know it will have been asked before, but how often do you feed your adult corns?
The reason i`m asking is that i`ve stopped feeding 1 large mouse a week,
and now feed 1 extra large mouse every 2 weeks.
Now the snakes seem less lethargic.
When they do feed, they attack the mouse like i`ve never seen.
Less spot cleaning in the cages.
And its CHEAPER!!

Were all winners.

beaniebopps
10-25-2007, 01:09 PM
It really depends on the individual snake. Every 2 weeks is sufficient just about, providing the meal size is big enough. I'd say every 12 days might be a better balance though. I feed my adult male a weaner rat or jumbo mouse every 10 days, and I'm feeding my adult female every 7 days at the min to get her ready for brumation and breeding.

JonnnyAdam
11-05-2007, 11:11 AM
I feed both of mine 2 fuzzies every 4 days...The male is pushing 3 ft. and is 2 this Feb. My female is 2 1/2 ft. and is around 1 1/2 years old.

susang
11-05-2007, 11:22 AM
I feed both of mine 2 fuzzies every 4 days...The male is pushing 3 ft. and is 2 this Feb. My female is 2 1/2 ft. and is around 1 1/2 years old.

I know you're not asking a question about feeding, but this is not the best way to feed a two year old snake. 2 fuzzies every four days. My 06' eat a sm. feeder once a week. Yours should be at once a week feedings, unless they are really thin, and eating a feeder mouse at this point. susang

JonnnyAdam
11-05-2007, 11:32 AM
I have always wondered if I was feeding them the right way, enough, or not enough! My fuzzies are kinda small though. Am I hurting them by feeding them so much?

susang
11-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I have always wondered if I was feeding them the right way, enough, or not enough! My fuzzies are kinda small though. Am I hurting them by feeding them so much?

You are not feeding enough a feeder once a week is more then 4 small fuzzies, more "meat on the bone" type thing. How much do your snakes weigh? The 4-5 day feeding schedule is for up to a year, roughly. Then you go to once a week bigger feed. Do a search for the Munson Plan, which is a good resource for what to feed when, it does require a scale. The food should leave a visible lump in the belly for at least 24 hours.

JonnnyAdam
11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah, not sure what they weigh, but when I feed them you can't hardly tell that they ate...oops :(

CornNoobie
11-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Yeah, not sure what they weigh, but when I feed them you can't hardly tell that they ate...oops :(

I would definately have a look at the munson plan, its a great guide. Also, the general idea is to feed a prey item no bigger than 1.5 times the width of your snake, so if you cant even tell they ate, go up a size or 2! :)