PDA

View Full Version : You all get to see it FIRST!!

You all get to see it FIRST!!

Rich Z
05-07-2003, 05:32 PM
It's still not finished yet, but at least it is in reasonable enough shape that I am not embarrassed to have people see it.

I'm working on a complete rewrite of my SerpenCo.com site. It's going to be based around a shopping cart template, which I hope will make it easier not only myself to keep it maintained, but also for people to place orders for all of the various things I may be offering in the future.

Anyway, take a look: New SerpenCo Site - **EXPERIMENTAL!!** (http://www.serpenco.com/shop/customer/)

Please bear in mind that this site is NOT live yet, so there were surely be gremlins lurking inside. Also, I have not modified everything exactly to my liking, so colors and overall look make change quite a bit over the next couple of weeks.

Any feedback is welcome, but bear in mind that there will be some things just not feasible at this time.

Thanks!

CAV
05-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Rich,

I like this format much better. I am however disappointed to see that the 2003 Butter Stripes are already out of stock. :D

Rich Z
05-07-2003, 05:48 PM
As I said, it's not a working model yet, so the numbers are not accurate. but yes, I am sold out of the Butter Stripes. And there is only one pair of Lavender Motleys remaining that I will be willing to sell this year....

Actually, for the current year hatchlings, the inventory numbers will not be real. I generally cannot get them all sexed and labeled until the numbers have dropped down considerably and I have some time to do that. So the numbers are just plugged in as a VERY rough guess.

Heck, now that I'm thinking of it, I need to re-inventory the 2002 animals on my old list. Numbers have changed substantially on a lot of them since the Raleigh show last weekend.

Susan
05-07-2003, 10:41 PM
Now I can put my "Wish List" in a cart and walk around the store for awhile pretending they're all mine! And I like the "Related Products" part, but hope you can change the name to "Related Morphs/Cultivars". Calling corn snakes "products" just doesn't seem right to me.

Rich Z
05-07-2003, 10:57 PM
Good point. But this is one COMPLICATED piece of software, so even finding that text will likely take me a while.

Of course, if I use this for more than just the corn snakes, I am pretty sure that text will then not be appropriate for the other categories.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Rich Z
05-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Darn! That was TOO easy! I made the change in the blink of an eye. Guess I am getting used to that piece of software!

Khaman
05-07-2003, 11:15 PM
Rich,

Can we subscribe to the newsletter yet or should we wait till you go live with the page?

Rich Z
05-08-2003, 04:49 AM
Probably should be best to wait, as there certainly is not going to be a newsletter right away.

Thanks for the interest!

CornCrazy
05-08-2003, 07:14 AM
I also like the new format better! I look forward to seeing it up and running "LIVE."

Indyshark
05-08-2003, 08:43 AM
Rich, I really love the new web site.

If I may make a suggestion, you have some great pictures of newborn corn snakes. Why don't you add some hatchling pictures to your web site so when people order snakes, they can see before and after pictures?

I have seen some baby corns pictures on this forum, that I have no idea how to order! I know I can call you, but I like looking at the pictures and trying to decide.

Call me crazy....

Matias
05-10-2003, 06:05 AM
I have also one suggestion. I woud like to get full list of color morphs into the same page like in the old pages. Then it would be a lot of easier to just browse through the morphs and read their descriptions or look at the photos.

Rich Z
05-10-2003, 12:29 PM
I'll have to check, but I don't believe that is an option in the software I am using.

Breaking up big displays into pages is preferred in order to reduce the load on the server. Having everything displayed at one time can really eat up bandwidth in a hurry, so unless I have an overwhelming reason to try to do that, I don't think it would be an efficient use of my resources.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Kat
05-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Actually, I agree with Matias... if you could do a simple but full text (no image) listing of the morphs, with links to the photos and descriptions, the way you have on your current pricelist... it beats flipping through the pages to find the morph you're after. It'd be sort of an index, rather than a full-color page brochure.

-Kat

Rich Z
05-10-2003, 03:30 PM
There is a search function there that should help locate something specific you are looking for.

Perhaps I could just remove the thumbnail image to see if that would work to compact the pages somewhat.

Rich Z
05-19-2003, 03:01 AM
Take a look at the centerpiece image that Janie Manaski did for me. I may have to trim down the size a bit, but it looks so nice that I am reluctant to do that.

SerpenCo new Main Page (http://www.serpenco.com/shop/customer/home.php)

CornCrazy
05-19-2003, 06:12 AM
She did a wonderful job!

By the way, is the new site up and running, yet?

Rich Z
05-19-2003, 12:04 PM
No not yet. I still have work to do on it. When it is operational, you will be able to go directly to it by using the URL of www.SerpenCo.com.

This is egg-laying season, so spare time is tough to come up with to work on it.

BTW, did the image load up quick enough so that it won't be a boat anchor for displaying the main page? I didn't want to reduce the quality with too much compression on the image.

Thanks.

CAV
05-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Rich,

I am at home on a dial-up today and start to finish the page loaded in under 30 seconds. Very nice.