PDA

View Full Version : My poor baby corn.

My poor baby corn.

daneale777
10-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Sorry to bother everyone with this. I guess I just need some reassurance. My baby corn that's about 3 1/2 months old (I've had her for about 6 weeks) just had her first regurge today. I check her often because I adore her. So I went to check on her a little while ago, and found a regurged pinky head in her substrate. I think I know what caused this too. I feel so stupid.
I fed her on Tuesday and the pinky was bigger than usual. It was purchased at a new place because the one's from petco have been looking rather foul lately. I have been feeding her every Tuesday and Friday, which I just found out yesterday was a little too often, also, so was not going to feed today.
Anyway, I thought she would be okay because it was just a bit bigger than usual and she got it down, with some struggle. She took it feet first two, which was a bit odd. Should I just have removed it when I saw that it was taking her several minutes to get it down? She was already "latched" on to it.
I know I'm supposed to wait for 10 days to feed her, to let her stomache acids build back up and monitor her closely. Is there anything else I need to know?
Her temps and everything are good; about 74 on the cool end and 84 on the warm. She has about five hides, but has been in the warm one everytime I check since that meal.
I feel like a big doof and would just cry if anything happened to her. Is she going to be okay. Maybe just has a tummy ache right now?
Any input on this would be GReatly appriciated.

Thank you!!

-Daneale
(Human pet of Piggly Wiggly, the hypo snake and three cats and one bossy little 9 year old human child)

Rich in KY
10-26-2007, 04:37 PM
I just had the same with my little girl a couple of weeks ago. She is about the same age as yours.

She has eaten once since her regurge and did fine. I am thawing her next pinky as I type.

Give yours 10 days with little contact and she will be fine.

CornNoobie
10-26-2007, 04:39 PM
I wouldnt worry about it if its her first regurge. You seem like you know what to do anyway, so dont worry too much. YOur temps sound fine, and she has plenty of hides. Do a quick search on regurge and you will find loads of information, but yes wait at least 10 days to let her recover, and it might be worth giving her a very small meal next time, maybe even just a pinkie head (depending on how big she is herself). You said she ate it feet first, most corns eat their prey head first, but some, like my snow, grab whatever bit is closest! It shouldnt be a problem, and I certainly wouldnt interfere when she has grabbed hold of it, that would normally always cause her to reject it, and she probably wouldnt want to eat again that session.
If your worried about the quality of pinkies from a certain store, personally I would look for another suitable supplier.
Oh, and finally every 4-5 days should be fine for her meals, it might be a bit too much on her to have 2 meals a week, although some people may disagree.
Best of luck anyway, and it would be nice to see some pics real soon!

daneale777
10-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks you guys! That makes me feel better.

And pics; did someone say pics. Those I definately have.:crazy02:

-Daneale

CornNoobie
10-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Pretty snakey :)

Rich in KY
10-26-2007, 05:25 PM
She is gorgeous!

Random8A
10-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Omy gosh!! That is one BEAUTIFUL little snake you have, cannot wait to see pictures of her growing up :spinner:

Roy Munson
10-26-2007, 06:05 PM
She really is a nice looking corn. Looks like a hypo to me. I agree with the advice you've been given, especially about the 10-day wait and the smaller prey for her next couple of feedings. Sounds like you're doing the right things as far as her habitat and temps go. Good luck. :)

daneale777
10-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks everyone for all your nice comments!! I'm already searching for my next baby corn!!

I'm in it for good now!

-Daneale

starsevol
10-26-2007, 06:49 PM
She is beautiful!
You know what to do I think. Her set up is great. She will be just fine. Just try not to worry too much. :)

daneale777
10-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks again. I will try my hardest not to worry too much.
BTW here are some really bad pics of her setup. My 9 year old daughter and I went a bit crazy with it all, but baby Piggly Wiggly seems happy with it.
I've found that using those furry things they sell at the pet store (I think they're meant for gerbils or something) work really well for hides.

-Daneale

Cat_Eyed_Lady
10-26-2007, 07:21 PM
I remember talking to you in the other forum about the feeding schedule. I still think Piggly Wiggly is a cute name :) This is another reason for feeding farther apart.. just follow the advice given here about waiting 8-10 days and feed a small pinkie. She should do ok after this as long as you follow the schedule we talked about before :) good luck :)

Rich in KY
10-26-2007, 07:31 PM
I think that is the cutest viv I have ever seen

daneale777
10-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks again guys!!

-Daneale

JennyB
10-26-2007, 11:12 PM
I'm already searching for my next baby corn!!

I know exactly what you mean. They are very addictive. I'd love to have another but I know my husband would freak if I came home with another one. Maybe after my ratties and mouse pass away I can talk him into it.