PDA

View Full Version : From live to frozen?

From live to frozen?

jaimbabe
10-27-2007, 04:33 PM
So since my last snake died I am looking in to getting another. I've found one that I really like...a few months (about 6 months?) old and a really good eater (which has been a big problem for me, my last snakes wouldn't eat!). However, he's been brought up on live mice. I REALLY want to be able to feed my snake already dead mice. It would be much more convenient for me, safer for the snake and just nicer to use frozen. So is it impossible to get a live-eating snake to switch to dead? If not, how difficult is it? As a beginner, should I even bother? Thanks for any advice!

Rich in KY
10-27-2007, 04:36 PM
In my experience, I have never had a problem getting a live feeder to accept a frozen/thawed mouse. In my opinion, it is important to get the thawed mouse as warm as possible (around 100*F) when offering it to a live feeder.

MO, CORNFED
10-27-2007, 04:38 PM
So since my last snake died I am looking in to getting another. I've found one that I really like...a few months (about 6 months?) old and a really good eater (which has been a big problem for me, my last snakes wouldn't eat!). However, he's been brought up on live mice. I REALLY want to be able to feed my snake already dead mice. It would be much more convenient for me, safer for the snake and just nicer to use frozen. So is it impossible to get a live-eating snake to switch to dead? If not, how difficult is it? As a beginner, should I even bother? Thanks for any advice!

I would say it all depends on the snake.

If it's used to eating live then you can always try to make it seem like the frozen/thawed one is live by moving it around, You will just have to try it out.

Good luck

Nanci
10-27-2007, 04:51 PM
I've never had a problem. I have three snakes, one even a wild caught, so who knows _what_ he was eating, that were fed live before I got them. They never cared.

Nanci

Pasodama
10-28-2007, 06:09 PM
There may be an exception, here or there, but ... A snake can be switched from live to f/t.

In my personal experience, I've not had any problems (yet) with switching a snake from live feed to f/t (individuals have included Kingsnakes & Cornsnakes).

MO, CORNFED
10-28-2007, 06:14 PM
There may be an exception, here or there, but ... A snake can be switched from live to f/t.

In my personal experience, I've not had any problems (yet) with switching a snake from live feed to f/t (individuals have included Kingsnakes & Cornsnakes).

Like I said it all depends on the snake, my BP would only eat live and moving as a baby, but I'm willing to try again now that I really don't want to feed her live and moving rats.

Roy Munson
10-28-2007, 06:19 PM
You've been given good advice. The only thing I would add is that you shouldn't buy this snake if you're not prepared for the possibility that it won't switch to f/t. If you're not, it would be better to get one that's already on f/t. I can't remember having a corn that didn't eventually convert, but they're definitely out there. For some, it's not a matter of conversion, they won't EVER touch f/t.

MO, CORNFED
10-28-2007, 06:23 PM
You've been given good advice. The only thing I would add is that you shouldn't buy this snake if you're not prepared for the possibility that it won't switch to f/t. If you're not, it would be better to get one that's already on f/t. I can't remember having a corn that didn't eventually convert, but they're definitely out there. For some, it's not a matter of conversion, they won't EVER touch f/t.

On top of that it might even take awhile, from a couple weeks to a couple months, be ready for that. My BP is def. stubburn when it comes to her food, so roy is right, also prepare for the worst in this case.

With all do we respect though we all wish you luck and hope you can convert it. cause adult mice and baby rats are also good escape artists.

MO, CORNFED
10-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Remember there are also alot of good books. I just got this one Thursday called CORN SNAKES IN CAPTIVITY by: Don soderberg he gives all kinds of tricks in his book, then again you can always ask us here at the forum