PDA

View Full Version : Is my snake small???

Is my snake small???

ButtersCorns4life
11-03-2007, 01:22 PM
OK, well I've seen all these people with huge snakes. (The girth) and I was wondering if my snake is small, its about 31 inches long, about 1.5 inches around. (at her biggest part)

Then I have 2 little snakes, only about 18 inches. but a little less than an inch around... Is this normal??? should they be fed a little more??? Or more often??? They were born in July... :D

sbourget
11-06-2007, 01:12 AM
The general rule of thumb for food items is 1 item that is 1.5x the largest girth. If you're worried your snake is underweight then look at the spine, it shouldn't be sticking up in a ridge, looking at the snake, if you took an imaginary slice of their body in the middle it should look somewhat like a loaf of bread. What are the snake's weights? what are you feeding them right now?

ButtersCorns4life
11-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Well, for the 31 inch, I feed a large fuzzy, (a little bigger that the biggest part of the snake) and for the 28 inch one i feed a little smaller fuzzy. For the little 20 inch ones, I feed 2 large (for a 5 day old) pinkie.

Is this good? No, the snakes don't have ridged back, you cant see their spine, and so on. I'm not sure the weights, but in 2 days, I have a B-day. So I'll get a scale then. I will also get a camera by the end of the month.

Anyway, the 28 in. is round in the middle, not like the 31 or even the 20's. She's weird, and if you run your finger along the bottom of her, it feels squishy... (sort of) It's been like this for her whole life... Is this bad or is it normal in some snakes...

Thanks for all your help. :D

sbourget
11-06-2007, 11:03 PM
With no signs of starvation I'd say you are doing fine. When you get a camera take some pictures of the snake next to its food item.
As for the soft belly, it's normal, there are no ribs across the belly so the only thing supporting it is the pressure of the internal organs and muscles. When the snake is relaxed you'll easily feel the belly flex inward under your finger, so lonag as the snake isn't in distress it wouldn't seem to be a problem.