PDA

View Full Version : HETS?

HETS?

Jr Nimeskern
05-08-2002, 11:12 PM
All right I have a few genetic questions! how do you get a snow het for blizzard and bloodred??? Im confused about this... and can you get a charcoal het for pewter? and what would you have to breed with the charcoal het for pewter to get pewters???
thanks for any help

Serpwidgets
05-09-2002, 03:34 AM
Heterozygous describes the pairing at one locus (for one simple trait) so technically a snake can not be het for a combination. However, that is commonly used, and accepted to mean that the snake is het for any traits that are required to make that combo.

For example, a "normal het snow" is het for anery and amel, and an "amel het snow" is expressing amelanism (of course) and it is also het for anery.

So, a "snow het for blizzard and bloodred" is expressing anery and amel, and is also het for charcoal and bloodred. By the above usage of the term, the snake is also het for pewter, among other things...

how do you get a snow het for blizzard and bloodred???I have a bloodred het for anery, amel and charcoal (her father was a pewter, her mother was anery het bloodred, and one of these two was also het amel) There are several ways you could get a snow het for blizzard and bloodred, if I were to breed my female to a charcoal het for amel and anery, any snows to come out of the mix would be at least het for blizzard and bloodred.

and can you get a charcoal het for pewter? and what would you have to breed with the charcoal het for pewter to get pewters???Pewter is the combination of bloodred and charcoal. A "charcoal het pewter" could be bred to anything that is carrying and/or expressing both charcoal and bloodred: normal het pewter, charcoal het blood, blood het charcoal, and pewter.

pdrau
05-09-2002, 10:44 AM
That's really cool how you can have so many possibilities. I'm sure the choices are endless.

I'm trying to work out the chart for crossing my female ghost with a pewter male. What do you think the outcome will be?

Jr Nimeskern
05-09-2002, 03:41 PM
Thanks serp for the info... I really do appreciate it...

Serpwidgets
05-10-2002, 12:33 AM
I'm trying to work out the chart for crossing my female ghost with a pewter male. What do you think the outcome will be?Genotypically, the F1s will be normal quad hets for anery, charcoal, hypo, and bloodred.

IMO the F2s are uninteresting, and even annoying when you end up trying to sort out Charcoal from Anery. Just think of the gray cornsnakes that will hatch, and how you will try to figure out if it's Anery, Charcoal, Ghost, or Charcoal Ghost... what will you sell them as?

Again, just my opinion.

pdrau
05-10-2002, 11:50 AM
ick...I see your point