PDA

View Full Version : 2 bites in one night, and a Possible RI.

2 bites in one night, and a Possible RI.

Pet Corn Snake
11-04-2007, 05:16 PM
LOL, strange title I know, but its true, tonight I wanted to check the snakes mauths to see if all was well, because Sabrina still does a little weez/squeek every like 5 mins when shes out, anyways, Damien was far too wiggly, and I see his mauth when he eats everyweek, I know his mauth is very healthy, Molly (the secrative eater) LOL i never see her mauth, so I held her behind the head and gentle opend her mauth, she seemed healthy enough, yet just as a thank you for checking I'm healthy, she actually bit me LOL my first ever bite and she didnt even break skin (girls, tut tut)

Soooo I had sabrina out and she kept on Weezing, so I thought fine fine, I'll check, got a firm grip, and tried to open her mauth, but before I could even check her mauth, WAM! she bit me lol, a 5.5ft snake bit me and Guess what, her mauth was closed! OMG! meh, anyways my first 2 disapointing bites, and A possible respary infection ( I cant even spell it LOL) so I'm considering taking her to the local reptile shop, the lady there went to UNI for exotic animal health and sycoligy, so hopefully she might be able to see the problem, the thing I cant get round is, Ive been told its normal for adults to weez every now and then, but she does it a alot, and the other thing is, her notrils look fine..

SnakesRule1234
11-04-2007, 05:21 PM
You know there is a spell check :rolleyes:
Are you going to get her to a vet for that RI?

Pet Corn Snake
11-04-2007, 05:24 PM
You know there is a spell check :rolleyes:
Are you going to get her to a vet for that RI?

1) yes I know there is a spell check
2) how do you know she's got RI? Sykick?
3) (EDITED: naughty word LOL) off : ) ban me if you want, he's a little idiot, on my threads annoying me, I tell you, he wants me to get mad, well he's got his wish.

SNAKEWISPERA
11-04-2007, 05:28 PM
George,,,,,is there more than usual fluid inn her mouth

Pet Corn Snake
11-04-2007, 05:30 PM
well, I'm not sure, when I tried to look, she bit me, so I didnt want to stress her, I can try again but I dont really want to stress her out tbh, her notrils seem fine, and she flicks her tongue like usual, but I just wanted some opinions really :/

it's a shame, people get me mad, and they mean to do it, it's like they have NO life or something :shrugs:

SNAKEWISPERA
11-04-2007, 05:32 PM
ok,....i suggest not doing again because, you don't want a stresed out corn with RI(if she got RI),

what are the temps in the cage, what is the humidity level

joel

Pet Corn Snake
11-04-2007, 05:33 PM
86 temps, and about 50 humid

SnakesRule1234
11-04-2007, 05:34 PM
1) yes I know there is a spell check
2) how do you know she's got RI? Sykick?
3) Piss off : ) ban me if you want, he's a little idiot, on my threads annoying me, I tell you, he wants me to get mad, well he's got his wish.

Well, first off, I'm not a guy...
I was just suggesting you use spell check because you spelled some easy words wrong. I'm not replying to all your threads also.
I don't know is she's got RI, but from your description it sound like early signs of RI... so a vet visit should be in order.
I don't know why you're getting pissed at me...? I barely talked to you except for 2 other times.

Pet Corn Snake
11-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Both times, you had a problem, tbh it don't change much if your a guy or a girl, your still annoying me on purpose, I can tell, I know your type, so please, just leave my posts, and my threads alone?

I'll get suggestions from those who I like to call my friends, or even people who I don't know, as long as they don't try and (edited: naughty word) me off, if you have a problem with the way I type, thats your problem, not mine.

SNAKEWISPERA
11-04-2007, 05:37 PM
MMM....with those temps she shouldn't get RI.(if she is)

have the temps dropped recently and humidity gone up

Pet Corn Snake
11-04-2007, 05:38 PM
MMM....with those temps she shouldn't get RI.(if she is)

have the temps dropped recently and humidity gone up

I use thurmostats, the temps, don't drop :/

SNAKEWISPERA
11-04-2007, 05:40 PM
It does sound like she has early signs of RI......keep a very close eye on her, check for bubbled blowin' from the nose and excess liquid around the mouth,

it just be she likes weeezzziiinggg lol

Nanci
11-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Well, I think she's just noisy, but it won't hurt to have the snake store person look at her. I know you like to inspect your snakes and catch problems early, but I really think you do not need to open a healthy snake's mouth if you don't suspect a problem- their bones and mouth tissues are fragile- you certainly don't want to do any damage. George, SR1234's questions/comments seemed well-meaning to me.

Nanci

Cat_Eyed_Lady
11-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Pet Corn Snake... dont like her bug you... some just dont realize how hard it is to type in a language that isnt your first... plus, english is about all I know and I Still make mistakes lol :) I read your post just fine! :)

if the temps and humidity hasnt changed... maybe you can up the temps 1-2 degrees F and lower the humidity?? High humidity isnt good for breathing (even for ppl, I have asthma so... I know how hard it can be) btw... if you dont want to get bit again and really want to look inside her mouth.. I would suggest give her a couple days to destress and then use something like a round ended toothpick to open her mouth... still will make her mad though from the sounds of it :) I would also suggest a vet visit if you have one close that is used to dealing with snakes :) I wish you all the luck in finding out why she is wheezing :)

Pet Corn Snake
11-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Well, I think she's just noisy, but it won't hurt to have the snake store person look at her. I know you like to inspect your snakes and catch problems early, but I really think you do not need to open a healthy snake's mouth if you don't suspect a problem- their bones and mouth tissues are fragile- you certainly don't want to do any damage. George, SR1234's questions/comments seemed well-meaning to me.

Nanci

Thanks, Nanci, you see lol, I'll listen to you more for some reason lol, (respected me from day 1)

thanks Nanci, and joel mate : )

Pet Corn Snake
11-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Hey, thanks alot, cat eyed : )

I'll leave her a few days to settle, shes due a feed in 2 days anyways so she'll have the 2 days + 3 days to settle before I try anything again or take her to the petshop :)

SNAKEWISPERA
11-04-2007, 05:52 PM
tis alright mate :D

Nanci
11-04-2007, 06:06 PM
See, the snake wheezed since he got her. Not constantly, just every so often when handled. Both my adults do this. Jake especially! He has all kinds of deep sighs, loud hisses, wheezes, etc. and he's perfectly healthy- although it did alarm me when I first got him. He just likes to express himself, I guess! I am hoping and think it is likely that George just has a talkative snake.

Nanci

Pet Corn Snake
11-04-2007, 06:08 PM
See, the snake wheezed since he got her. Not constantly, just every so often when handled. Both my adults do this. Jake especially! He has all kinds of deep sighs, loud hisses, wheezes, etc. and he's perfectly healthy- although it did alarm me when I first got him. He just likes to express himself, I guess! I am hoping and think it is likely that George just has a talkative snake.

Nanci

talkative? well, lol, Damien is a good listener, and now I have a possible talker, I soooo hope them two are male and female, I might get some talking and listening babys!

Damien always sits and listens, he always used to when id rant about being bullied, and now I talk to him about my girlfriend lol, I know I know, I'm strange, but Damien is, and always will be, my best friend :cheers:

SNAKEWISPERA
11-04-2007, 06:13 PM
George are you still sniffing them jelly beans with posts like that ::spinner:

i thought i was your mate:-punch::eek::rofl: oj mate

susang
11-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey George don't you talk parsel tongue yet, lol. I'm sure the ady at the pet shop will put all you're worries to rest. susang

Pet Corn Snake
11-04-2007, 06:21 PM
hahaha! Damien, he understands me :P he smiles: )

SNAKEWISPERA
11-04-2007, 08:14 PM
tooooo many tic-tacs mate lol

tracy0416
11-05-2007, 12:22 AM

Nanci

My HUGE ball python female does this 'noises' thing too. She clicks when she's cool and when she's speeding up to get away from me. I thought it was a RI too but she is clear in mouth, nostrils, etc. The clicking is not on any rhythm. It doesn't go in accordance to her breathing pattern either. She sometimes does it when she's breathing fast and sometimes when she's breathing slow. She hisses about once a month or so. I take her out daily for about 5 minutes and she really is as healthy as can be.

The clicking seems to be a stress response of some kind. If I open the lid on her viv really slow and listen, there's no noise at all. On;y when I hold her does she start this clicking thing.

She wheezed for a bit when the humidity was REALLY high (when I first put her into her new snakie "condo" (ya gotta see this thing 5' x 2.25' x 2.25 ' deep. She's living like royalty, no pun intended). When the humidity leveled out, she stopped wheezing. Scared the crap outta me though!

Thanks Nanci for sharing your noisey snake story. Fantastic bedtime reading!

Susan
11-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Pet Corn Snake... dont like her bug you... some just dont realize how hard it is to type in a language that isnt your first... plus, english is about all I know and I Still make mistakes lol :) I read your post just fine! :)

I can't let this one pass. :laugh01: The last time I checked, the native language in the United Kingdom (aka England, et al) was English.

Cat_Eyed_Lady
11-05-2007, 07:24 AM
sorry about that :( I been to quite a few places in Europe... and sorry to say but the americans I ran into over there... so rude!!! No matter what country I was in.... They expected everyone to understand them. Sorry about that Pet Corn Snake... I never ment any disrespect :( Thank you Susan for clearing that up for me :) I will try to not make that mistake again :) But I still say that I didnt have any problems reading his posts lol :)

tracy0416
11-05-2007, 05:09 PM
I can't let this one pass. :laugh01: The last time I checked, the native language in the United Kingdom (aka England, et al) was English.

Susan: Next time, can you please just let it pass? Posts like these are a real waste of time.

For anyone else reading:

We do not need to publicly humiliate people where a private message would accomplish the same goal of pointing out or passing on information we THINK people need to know (that has nothing to do with snakes).

Making people feel stupid by reminding them of a spell check, and making fun of someone, be it for their spelling, assumptions, or otherwise, is not necessary. It does not help us be better snake keepers or good forum mates.

I thought that this smiley: :laugh01: ...was to laugh with someone, not at them.

What if a person who does not spell correctly in their posts:
- has a learning disability?
- is mentally challenged?
- is just not there yet in their academic abilities and already feels bad about it, already gets made fun of already by classmates, parents, etc., just to name a few examples?

Bottom line is, we don't know about the lives of the REAL PEOPLE who sit in front of their computer screens and post here.

This is a reminder and/or suggestion to ALL, to think, do through private messages what might make someone feel bad, and be nice in situations that do not warrant an offensive, sarcastic, negative or hostile reaction...

It's reading that wastes everyones time, and therefore, disrespectful.

Thanks.

Pet Corn Snake
11-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Yea, I do feel bad because I can spell sometimes, when I think, but when I'm writing a big thread I loose myself sometimes.
I'm getting there though, I think.

Poor me eh :awcrap:

diamondlil
11-05-2007, 05:35 PM
No worries George, it just seemed to me you were worried about the snakes and just rushed your post. At the end of the day you have had the sense to learn a lot about this hobby from when you first started but were asking a question out of concern for your pets. Anyone who finds that funny should take a long hard look at themselves.

Susan
11-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Susan: Next time, can you please just let it pass? Posts like these are a real waste of time.

For anyone else reading:

We do not need to publicly humiliate people where a private message would accomplish the same goal of pointing out or passing on information we THINK people need to know (that has nothing to do with snakes).

Making people feel stupid by reminding them of a spell check, and making fun of someone, be it for their spelling, assumptions, or otherwise, is not necessary. It does not help us be better snake keepers or good forum mates.

I thought that this smiley: :laugh01: ...was to laugh with someone, not at them.

- is just not there yet in their academic abilities and already feels bad about it, already gets made fun of already by classmates, parents, etc., just to name a few examples?

Bottom line is, we don't know about the lives of the REAL PEOPLE who sit in front of their computer screens and post here.

This is a reminder and/or suggestion to ALL, to think, do through private messages what might make someone feel bad, and be nice in situations that do not warrant an offensive, sarcastic, negative or hostile reaction...

Thanks.

Cat Ryed Lady, I meant no disrespect by my post, especially since the only reason I even read this thread was because someone reported it. However, I've found nothing that hasn't been written in at least a dozen other threads with no complaints. I simply found the idea of someone saying that an Englishman was having trouble writing on an American forum a bit humorous. If you ask the average Englishman, he/she would say that Americans don't speak English.

Tracy, take a chill. I will add that the pot needs to be careful when calling the kettle black concerning posts that are a waste of time. At least mine was only 2 sentences. And I'll delete mine if you delete yours. We have the power.

Now to actually help with the original query...in case it is a RI, you should raise your temps a few degrees. Temps around 88-89F are better for a RI and is often the only treatment necessary.

Pet Corn Snake
11-05-2007, 05:39 PM
No worries George, it just seemed to me you were worried about the snakes and just rushed your post. At the end of the day you have had the sense to learn a lot about this hobby from when you first started but were asking a question out of concern for your pets. Anyone who finds that funny should take a long hard look at themselves.

Thanks, Janine, : )

Yea, everything I have learnt about corn's started here, and I have big plans for corns in the future, hopefully lots of breeding plans, and this place will always be remembered :P

I think it was this place that actually changed me completely lol, I had people 11 month ago telling me I basically had a bad attitude, and eventually, I listened, learned, apologized, and now I like to think I'm a much better person :P Sorry for that offtopicness, I got carried away.

Cat_Eyed_Lady
11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
no worries from me :) I kinda found it funny after you pointed out the mistake I made ... live and learn thats all :)

yes, I think I did say somewhere too about raising the temps a couple degrees and lowering the humidity... I think 50% humidity is too high for a snake that might have an RI?

but as Nanci said... maybe its just a noisy snake?? I have one that is abit like that too... always making sounds when she is out but never any other time.. so hopefully its just that :)

Pet Corn Snake
11-05-2007, 05:43 PM
I spoke to the lady at the petstore today, she told me that it could be early signs but she also has adults with the same breething and says its not rare, she said to keep a close eye on her, and if she stops eating to take her to the shop to get checked,

I just noticed tonight, she had a bad shed, I know that sounds stupid but all her belly scales still have some shed on them, very hard to notice, but when I was handling her and the shed come off I thought id accidently caught a scale and it come off, but no, it was a piece of shed :/

so maybe she has shed up her nose, although on all the close up pics and close up inspections her nose seems fine :/

I'll just have to watch her

Roy Munson
11-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Susan: Next time, can you please just let it pass? Posts like these are a real waste of time.I think you misunderstood Susan's post. She was having a little fun with a member who didn't seem to realize that the original poster was from the UK, THE country where the English language originated. I'm not saying that mods can't make judgement errors, but she IS a mod, and she's also been a member here for half a decade or more. She probably doesn't need you to lecture her on what is or isn't appropriate for this discussion board. You may want to consider apologizing to her.
For anyone else reading:

Making people feel stupid by reminding them of a spell check, and making fun of someone, be it for their spelling, assumptions, or otherwise, is not necessary. It does not help us be better snake keepers or good forum mates.By using the word "we", you presume to offer an opinion on what I need here. Don't. I don't NEED this place to be a better snake keeper, and I do a reasonably good job of being a good forum mate without your presumptions. We rely on written communication here to convey our thoughts to each other; I don't think it's unreasonable that we expect people to use the tools that are available to facilitate good written communication. This isn't an AIM session, or a Yahoo chat room. I applaud those who would attempt to keep discussion here at an elevated level.

I thought that this smiley: :laugh01: ...was to laugh with someone, not at them. The emoticon is pointing and laughing. That's all. It's open to a number of interpretations.

- is just not there yet in their academic abilities and already feels bad about it, already gets made fun of already by classmates, parents, etc., just to name a few examples?So what? It's a corn snake forum, not a support group. If I had a mental disability, and I wanted to participate in discussions with people who didn't face this challenge, I would use the available tools to improve my presentation. Heck, I might even learn something in the process, which isn't such a bad thing. Laziness isn't a disability for which I have a lot of sympathy.

Bottom line is, we don't know about the lives of the REAL PEOPLE who sit in front of their computer screens and post here.I know one thing about them: they've chosen to participate in a written medium that happens to be an OPEN discussion board.

Thanks.Leave the moderating to the mods. If you feel that a post breaks the rules, report it. But please be sure that you familiarize yourself with the rules first. Reminding someone to use spell check isn't an infraction.

tracy0416
11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Tracy, take a chill. I will add that the pot needs to be careful when calling the kettle black concerning posts that are a waste of time. At least mine was only 2 sentences.

quantity vs. quality

tracy0416
11-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Leave the moderating to the mods. If you feel that a post breaks the rules, report it. But please be sure that you familiarize yourself with the rules first. Reminding someone to use spell check isn't an infraction.

I am surprised by your response. If am am misunderstanding it's because it was not explained well or thoughtfully.

OFF TOPIC is a smiley we can you to direct someone to behave in a certain manner. I didn't realize that no one else was allowed to suggest or request things from fellow members except mods.

I am simply trying to elevate the level at which we engage in communication and reducing the risk of this forum becoming one with a reputation such as a particular Ball python forum.

Roy Munson
11-05-2007, 07:21 PM
I am surprised by your response. If am am misunderstanding it's because it was not explained well or thoughtfully.Here's an example of the limits of written communication. Are you saying that you don't understand my post in particular because I didn't explain my points well enough or thoughtfully enough? Or are you saying that you are incapable of misunderstanding any well-explained or sufficiently thoughtful post? Or do you mean something else altogether?

OFF TOPIC is a smiley we can you to direct someone to behave in a certain manner. I didn't realize that no one else was allowed to suggest or request things from fellow members except mods.Here again, I don't know if I'm getting your point. Smileys mean different things to different people. I find some of them difficult to interpret in different contexts, especially the "rollseyes" emoticon. Tone is another element of writing that isn't always easy to interpret. Your suggestions and requests were presented in a tone that I perceived to be preachy and chiding. Since I didn't completely agree with your suggestions and/or requests, I replied accordingly. You don't have to be a mod to make requests or suggestions on an open discussion board, and mods aren't prohibited from expressing their opinions either.

I am simply trying to elevate the level at which we engage in communication and reducing the risk of this forum becoming one with a reputation such as a particular Ball python forum.I actually appreciate attempts to encourage civility, but the spell check request did not strike me as being particularly lacking in civility. The same can't be said for some of the replies that followed. The overall tone of this forum has been the same since I joined, and I don't think it's likely to degenerate anytime soon.

There's another point to consider as well. One person's mental dysfunction may affect their ability to spell, while another person's mental dysfunction may affect their ability to empathize effectively, causing their communications to be blunt and insensitive. And of course, there are people without real mental handicaps who can't spell, or who communicate bluntly. I'm not going to demonize either type of poster. As long as they don't break site rules, everything's fine.

Pet Corn Snake
11-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Stop arguing, especially using big words even I cant understand, and complicated sentence's, just chill lol, the arguments going to get you nowhere tbh.

:smash:

tracy0416
11-05-2007, 07:52 PM
... Or do you mean something else altogether?

I sent you a PM. I don't want to waste any more time on this. We obviously have differing opinions on civility. It's all subjective I supposed.

Kind regards,
tracy

Roy Munson
11-05-2007, 08:31 PM
I sent you a PM. I don't want to waste any more time on this. We obviously have differing opinions on civility. It's all subjective I supposed.Thanks for the PM, Tracy. :) Yes, we obviously have a difference of opinion on this, and that's ok.

And we have to stop bickering anyway-- George has commanded it. :rolleyes: