PDA

View Full Version : Biting!

Biting!

jaimbabe
11-05-2007, 10:38 PM
So I just got my new baby corn snake (he's 4 months old) and he's a biter! My other two baby corns never bit, so I'm really freaked out! I gave him a few days of no handling to get used to his new home, and then the first time I stuck my hand in there he nipped at me. I managed to get him out in order to feed him, and that went well. But then today when I went to pick him up, again with the biting! He coils up and makes a little "puffing" sound when he strikes. It terrifying! And now he's rattling his tail so I know he's mad. Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm too scared of him to even pick him up! Will he grow out of this? And will his bite hurt me?

susang
11-05-2007, 11:06 PM
So I just got my new baby corn snake (he's 4 months old) and he's a biter! My other two baby corns never bit, so I'm really freaked out! I gave him a few days of no handling to get used to his new home, and then the first time I stuck my hand in there he nipped at me. I managed to get him out in order to feed him, and that went well. But then today when I went to pick him up, again with the biting! He coils up and makes a little "puffing" sound when he strikes. It terrifying! And now he's rattling his tail so I know he's mad. Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm too scared of him to even pick him up! Will he grow out of this? And will his bite hurt me?

He accomplished his goal he scared you, but really you are scaring him and he is defending himself. He will get over it just give him some space. I have 5 hatchlings this year and on any given feeding day one or two will have a major attitude, one who is blue but I couldn't see it until I got her all the way out and a few nips later. My youngest and smallest is almost always going to do everything to scare me even flattens his head out, rattling, hissing. He is the only one I have on paper towel so I can feed him in his tub and handle him in between feedings it was just too stressful for both of us.
No his bite won't hurt usually it's just a tag, what you don't want to do is draw back (very hard to do at least for me). I was tagged by a beauty snake hatchling and didn't know until after when I saw a spot of blood. good luck, susang

sbourget
11-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Gentle and regular handling should help him to calm down. A baby corn will barely be able to scratch you, let alone do any damage. You will likely get startled by how fast he moves, but if you are ready for it, expect the bite and hold steady for it you won't injure him, and he won't injure you. Think of velcro for how it'll feel. If you really want to you could wear thin gloves to provide some peice of mind. to let him get used to you I suggest tucking him into a shirt pocket. he'll feel safer there in an enclosed space, and will get used to your scent. The biggest thing is just to not let him intimidate you.
best of luck.

ps I know how you feel, My boa was the same way, but with time and handling he's grown out of it.

Sanebedlam
11-06-2007, 09:06 AM
I was startled the first time my hatchling bit me but it was just how quick he was it just felt like getting flicked lightly. Also just be nice and slow when you reach in there. You don't want to reach in really quick because that will also scare the snake. As people have said though if you don't handle because he bites then he will continue to bite because they would really rather just be left alone all the time but if you handle enough they will get used to it!