• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Question for people who feed when in blue/shed

JustineNYC

I know Ive read some people here feed through the shed cycle, and if the snake takes it, they take it, but its offered anyway. All of mine but 1 eat when in blue.

I do the same, I always offer it. One of my snakes had gone into blue maybe 3 days ago, I misted the viv as usual and Ive never had shedding problems... last night it was time for everyone to eat.

She ate fine, and this morning I looked in on her and there was her shed........but when I took the top off to pull it out a small piece of the tail was missing. I picked her hide up and its still on her, just the very tip.

So my question is, the rule is no handling for 48 hours after feeding, but what do you do in this case where the shed isnt complete. And if being 'handled' will bring on a regurge, wont them 'exercising' their shed off a day after feeding bring on a regurge as well?

That's a valid question.

I too feed when in blue, and he always takes it. Usually the snake will do what's best for itself. The risk and effects of a regurge are far greater than leaving a little bit of shed on the tail for an extra day. Because of this, they choose their warm spot and digest instead. After the 48 hour period you can take her out and give her a warm bath with a moist paper towel to remove the extra shed. My Corn went 3 days with some extra shed on his tail (we'd gone away and my friend fed him in blue), and suffered no ill effects from it.

Hope that helps

David

If it were me, I'd wait for the usual digestion time to pass and then "wipe down" the tail with a paper towel damp enough to loosen the remains of the shed. The snake won't grow enough in that short period of time to create any circulation issues; you won't have a necrotic tail tip after two to four days.

regards,
jazz

If it were me, I'd wait for the usual digestion time to pass and then "wipe down" the tail with a paper towel damp enough to loosen the remains of the shed. The snake won't grow enough in that short period of time to create any circulation issues; you won't have a necrotic tail tip after two to four days.

regards,
jazz

Good Advice, do as the geek suggests.

I've always waited for the digestion period to end, unless it's a particularly mellow animal. Two days won't be a problem to wait.

Back