PDA

View Full Version : Mouse bit snake--help

Mouse bit snake--help

Sluggo_63
11-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I was feeding my corn a mouse, and for the first time, he didn't get the mouse on the first strike. The mouse attacked, and before my corn could kill it, he got a bite in on the side of the snake. The mouse also drew blood near my snake's eye. At least I think it was my snake's blood, not the mouse's. I can't really tell since the snake is eating.

I'm really worried about infection now, any thing I can do to help my corn? Do I need to take him to the vet? Anything OTC that I can put on the wounds? Do I need to take him to the vet?

Help, please...

Widget
11-12-2007, 02:01 PM
From what I've read on here and my experience with birds. I would use a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution to clean it and then dab a bit of neosporin or other topical antibiotic on it. Maybe use paper towels for substrate until it heals.

I would also seriously consider changing to fresh killed or at least stunned mice in the future. Also (hopefully it won't happen) you may want to put on your asbestos undies...you may get a bit singed.

Hope the snake heals quickly. Good luck

Shannon

dionythicus
11-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I would clean the wound with soap and water and apply an antibiotic ointment. Keep an eye on it. Snakes usually heal pretty well. If it looks infected, take the snake to a vet.

Feeding frozen/thawed mice from now on will help prevent this from happening in the future. Remember that a mouse can kill a snake.

mike17l
11-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Do as the first two responders have said, and you/your snake will be just fine.

mele2511
11-13-2007, 07:01 AM
Could i just ask if there is any reason you choose to feed live mice? There is no benifit to this for you snake. Have you concidered moving to frozen ?

Lennycorn
11-13-2007, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=Sluggo_63;528327]I'm really worried about infection now, any thing I can do to help my corn? QUOTE]

A little too late for that now..huh! :smash:

Try feeding f/t next time.

starsevol
11-13-2007, 08:31 AM
poor snake.
poor mouse.

the most experianced, knowlegable and humane keepers feed thawed prey. Or at least stunned.

Sluggo_63
11-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the advise. I am moving to frozen/thawed. Thanks again.

Corny Noob
11-13-2007, 08:14 PM
How is the snake doing?

Jrgh17
11-13-2007, 08:29 PM
I can't provide any more information than what's already been said. I hope your snake is doing great.